Grant Mayer

tigermaniac

While I like the way he has handled some of the tough decisions, like the Benji dramas, I don't like all the responses he keeps coming out with via the social media.
With player negotiations stop responding for heavens sake. If we really are chasing a player and you say we're not you're lying to us, but if you're truthful your letting up to much info to the opposition, which could result in paying overs or bidding wars. There's no need in answering all the recruitment questions thrown your way.

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

@tigermaniac said:
While I like the way he has handled some of the tough decisions, like the Benji dramas, I don't like all the responses he keeps coming out with via the social media.
With player negotiations stop responding for heavens sake. If we really are chasing a player and you say we're not you're lying to us, but if you're truthful your letting up to much info to the opposition, which could result in paying overs or bidding wars. There's no need in answering all the recruitment questions thrown your way.

I for one appreciate his honesty, but I understand what you're saying.

I think Mayer is a breath of fresh air,unlike the stale old air that was here before,people whinged the club told them nothing,now they are concerned it is saying to much,give me a break.

@851 said:
I think Mayer is a breath of fresh air,unlike the stale old air that was here before,people whinged the club told them nothing,now they are concerned it is saying to much,give me a break.

Send him a list of every NRL player that is available so he can tick whoever we're chasing. Get real will ya.

@tigermaniac said:
@851 said:

Send him a list of every NRL player that is available so he can tick whoever we're chasing. Get real will ya.

I'm with 851 - there have been many complaints about the old regime not making statements to address public rumour, but now some people think the CEO is being too honest.

I for one like it - so many rumours since Benji decided to leave and the freed-up $$$, it's great for Mayer to take a moment to cross off the ones that are rubbish.

I'd like examples of players he's said we are chasing, players he's said we werent but ended up signing….nothing wrong with denying rumours, puts the crap to rest nice and quick.

He is terrific, hands on....he's no mug, too shrewd to put us at any disadvantage
Nothing wrong with what hes doing imo

@innsaneink said:
I'd like examples of players he's said we are chasing, players he's said we werent but ended up signing….nothing wrong with denying rumours, puts the crap to rest nice and quick.

He is terrific, hands on....he's no mug, too shrewd to put us at any disadvantage

We'll said innsaneink. tigermainiac I'm glad your not in charge. Grant Mayer is an experienced administrator who is a breath of fresh air to this club. To say giving members an insight into recruitment will disadvantage us by increasing a targets salary is childish.

I applaud his willingness to communicate with the fans, someone willing to speak to us, what a change.

@innsaneink said:

@innsaneink said:

Time will tell. Didn't you say somewhere on the forum that GM said we're not interested in Falou, w if he signed tomorrow.

Grant Mayer is poised to be appointed as the chief executive officer of the Wests Tigers after he was endorsed at a board meeting of the joint-venture club on Thursday night.
>
The Tigers have been on the lookout for a new CEO following the departure of Stephen Humphreys and have been considering going to market to find the ideal candidate. However, Mayer, currently the club's chief operating officer, has impressed Balmain and Western Suburbs directors since stepping into the role and will be offered the top job.
>
Mayer will meet with club powerbrokers on Friday morning to negotiate a contract and it is hoped a deal will be struck.
>
Mayer has extensive experience in sports administration. He was the chief executive of the Sea Eagles when they tasted premiership success, held a senior position at the Bulldogs and spent almost three years at the GWS Giants as their general manager of commercial operations.
Advertisement
>
He will step into the position at a challenging time for the Wests Tigers, who have been struggling on the field after suffering a horrendous injury toll. The club is also hoping to secure the futures of young playmakers Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses after superstar pivot Benji Marshall was granted a release at the end of the season.
>
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/grant-mayer-to-be-appointed-new-wests-tigers-boss-20130725-2qnp2.html

BOOM! Terrific news!

Good signing…I like the way he communicates with the fans..although Humpty did set the bar low...

Good news.

But nice to see our board can't have a meeting without leaking something to the media :unamused:

Good to have a media savvy person in my opinion as our leader

Prepared to make the tough calls as well , can't ask any more than that

We seem to be in safe hands , lets hope he can shake a few branches with the board as well

@happy tiger said:
Good to have a media savvy person in my opinion as our leader

Prepared to make the tough calls as well , can't ask any more than that

We seem to be in safe hands , lets hope he can shake a few branches with the board as well

Yep, have to say he has been a lot more open and transparent than Humphreys, plus he's put to bed a few rumours early on before they generate too much steam, and he's also shrewd enough to realise we need to secure our young talent and PLAN our next marquee signing carefully.

I'm confident Mayer will do well by the club and improve our reputation and brand.

I like what Grant has been doing over the past months, but I'm not convinced this is an astute signing… It feels like we have taken the easy option again to appoint a CEO that the board knows, rather than recruiting a CEO who will challenge the Wests Tigers and its Board to lead us onto a new journey.

I suppose one of those costs money?!

Back