OFFICIAL Heamasi Makasini #303

This is part of sport. Sometimes a young kid will have a shocker. It either breaks them or they learn and grow from it.

I remember being 18 years old, having just left high school and started playing cricket with adults, I dropped a bunch of catches in one of my first games and lost the game for my team. I felt like crap, had a sulk, then I was motivated to improve my fielding.

Last night looked like a kid who got overwhelmed by the situation and forgot his basics, like watching the ball into your hands, setting your feet under the high ball, being aware of the sideline, etc. I back him to come good, but he needs a week or two off to relax and emotionally recover.
How’d your cricket career end up ?
 
Agree 💯
What I don’t see is any mongrel in him, people saying give him a couple of games in reserve grade to build his confidence and bring him back,
He has to earn a position by performing at a better level than others in the same position.
Decide what position they want him to play in the NRL and play him in that position in ressies.
Not centre in ressies and wing in 1st grade, hopefully he has the right attitude and will be back,
Not all Kid superstars progress as expected when they come up against the big boys.
Only time will tell.
I mentioned it before the Broncs game and then noticed it agian on the weekend. Masi goes into contact hugging the ball with both arms, I think it was the Warriors game where he dropped a few balls in contact and since then has been overly careful when hitting the line....the kids best asset is his fend and or offload and he needs to carry the ball in one arm to do this.
 
This. It’s such a BS cop out blaming Bula. He dropped a basic pass that a 9 old would’ve caught and had little to no pressure on him.

Let’s cut the crap and call it what it was: One of the worst performances by a winger I’ve ever seen in our colours and it ultimately cost us the game.

Yes he’s a kid but he had 6 errors last night, most them very costly. And he’s been far from great this season so far. He also had defensive lapses and blew a basic try last week against the Knights when instead of making the simple pass to his winger, he tried to hero it and that led to the double movement try.

Give him a break this week then back to NSW Cup the week after, with Tavana coming back in. If he wants to sook over that, he can piss off to Yawnion.
One of the worst performances by a winger in our colours is certainly a stretch. Other then the two errors he made what else did he do to constitute it being one of the worst performances in our colours? Compared to games i've seen guys like Brent Naden, Asu Kepaoa, Junior Pauga, Nofoaluma bloody Jordank Rankin have for us Makasini had a fine game Lol.
 
No good. Had a few good seasons with the bat but have mostly been average to poor. Fielding got better and became reliable.
In the cricket nets in high school used to have bowling machines that would bowl at 100km/h

Couldn't imagine facing 135-150km/h some of these fast bowlers bowl at

But that's the awesome thing about sport if you dedicate time to something you can see the gradual improvement you make. For me that was tennis (I never laced a footy boot)
 
In the cricket nets in high school used to have bowling machines that would bowl at 100km/h

Couldn't imagine facing 135-150km/h some of these fast bowlers bowl at

But that's the awesome thing about sport if you dedicate time to something you can see the gradual improvement you make. For me that was tennis (I never laced a footy boot)
I’ve just stopped playing social tennis (mixed doubles) and taken up pickleball
Mixed doubles as well less running than tennis but my joints are feeling it, nothing to do with my age at all 👴
 
Don't stop the tennis mate, it will add many years to your life. The social and physical aspect is great for you.
This is very true what I also do is between sips at the pub I switch hands to get the biceps working and also try when possible to get Steins they weigh more and are the better option

Also I sit away from the toilet so I have to walk more it's been fine so far
 
Totally disagree. There is a lot to gain playing him in a lower grade and a lot to lose by making him get hammered every week as a kid in the NRL. Dropping back down and taking some heat off him is part of the process.
And did Herbert get hooked? He didn't have a good game at all a little LL coming in to his game going for intercepts


Also Big Mak will be attacked again this week if he in on the wing and I am not overly worried about the dropped ball but more about being out of position on a few occasions
 
Definitely needs a rest,but Tavana injured apparently and LL has his own issues with his hands
But having said that ,LL offers more than Makka atm
 
I can't believe all the noise about dropping him. I am as filthy as anyone about the loss, however, ball handling aside

At 18 years-old, less than 10 games in first grade

TWENTY ONE runs for 190 running metres, 57 post contact.

Nerves and ball handling are expected at that age and youth.

He will be better for it after this experience.
 
I can't believe all the noise about dropping him. I am as filthy as anyone about the loss, however, ball handling aside

At 18 years-old, less than 10 games in first grade

TWENTY ONE runs for 190 running metres, 57 post contact.

Nerves and ball handling are expected at that age and youth.

He will be better for it after this experience.
Context is important. He dropped it twice when the game was on the line. I am not sure how dropping those balls makes him a better player. It gives him opportunity to go away and develop further - NSW cup is a great place to do that for an 18 year old. Not in the NRL when every 2 points count.
 
I can't believe all the noise about dropping him. I am as filthy as anyone about the loss, however, ball handling aside

At 18 years-old, less than 10 games in first grade

TWENTY ONE runs for 190 running metres, 57 post contact.

Nerves and ball handling are expected at that age and youth.

He will be better for it after this experience.
He just needs to watch Montoya’s game for the dogs on the weekend to feel better. Montoya’s a seasoned first grader and cost them the game. Masi’s a rookie he will make mistakes
 
I can't believe all the noise about dropping him. I am as filthy as anyone about the loss, however, ball handling aside

At 18 years-old, less than 10 games in first grade

TWENTY ONE runs for 190 running metres, 57 post contact.

Nerves and ball handling are expected at that age and youth.

He will be better for it after this experience.


So he can get away with mistakes but Skelton has to pay for his


But I think a week off will help him don't want to burn him out and so many rookies get rested to not burn them out

If I was Benji I would give a week off and tell him he is already selected in two weeks time
 
So he can get away with mistakes but Skelton has to pay for his


But I think a week off will help him don't want to burn him out and so many rookies get rested to not burn them out

If I was Benji I would give a week off and tell him he is already selected in two weeks time
To be fair Luke made quite a few mistakes and kept being selected. I dont know whether that was because of injury or not though.. or whether skelton wasnt knocking on the door hard enoufh
 
when on song the Raiders backline can cause havoc so who ever plays on the wing will get tested defensively. Personally I think Big Mac offers more than the other names thrown up even if has struggled a bit in recent times.
 
His biggest problem is that he does not know how to beat a player without physical dominance. He has grown up his whole life being the most impressive athlete on the field and has become reliant on winning initial contact. He has been physically matched or beaten consistently this season and he doesn’t have the other feathers to his bow ie catch/pass, footwork, aerial skills and defensive structure that are at first grade standard right now.

I think he really needs to go to reserve grade and develop these attributes. He is physically ready for first grade, I don’t think his skills are at first grade level. Tavana and Laulilii are better all around players right now.
Great all round comment. Agree completely.
 
I don't see Benji dropping him - he and the club have made it clear he's our future. Dropping him after a horror game won't do much good for his confidence.

Never forget Manu Vatuvei vs the Eels at the beginning of his career.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top