How Benji’s big Tiger risks will change club fortunes in long run

https://www.zerotackle.com/how-benjis-big-tiger-risks-will-change-club-fortunes-in-long-run-210203/
The past week has been extremely newsworthy for the Wests Tigers.

Star second-rower Isaiah Papali'i was granted permission to speak with other clubs for 2025. He was then snapped up by the Panthers very quickly.

Meanwhile CEO Shane Richardson has reportedly flown to England to discuss the availability of a number of his players.

As strange as this is going to sound, I absolutely love what I am hearing from the Tigers right now.

Talk was that Papali'i may have requested the chance to look at options next season. If this is true, the Tigers have absolutely made the right decision in allowing him to leave.

Will it help results in 2025? Almost certainly not. He's arguably a top three player for the club and his presence will be surely missed.

That said, the Wests Tigers are in a complete rebuild right now and it is far more important to establish a culture.

A culture where players want to be at the club.

A culture where players are targeted and signed based on need and value, rather than just availability.

Ultimately a winning culture!

Despite the negativity on some corners of social media, Marshall and co have accepted that a change needs to be made and embracing the short-term pain for long-term gain.

Regarding Shane Richardson's trip to England, reports are that he is shopping a number of players to Super League clubs.

I have no idea who is supposedly on this reported shopping list but I dare say there are some overpaid and underperforming names in need of some warmer clothes.

Despite some sections of the media already penning Benji Marshall's coaching career obituary, I love what I have seen from the rookie coach to date.

Yes, results aren't great and finals look gone for 2024 but anyone who expected a seismic shift in one off-season is not living in reality.

We've seen the emergence of Lachlan Galvin, a better than expected return on Aidan Sezer and most importantly of all the signing of Jarome Luai.

Most importantly of all though Marshall looks to have implemented a "club first" mentality the Tigers have lacked for many years.

Rumours of players complaining about being trained too hard under Michael Maguire. Premiership winning coach and current NSW Blues coach Michael Maguire.

Players using the Tigers as a shopwindow before demanding releases. See Ryan Matterson.

Targeting former big name players on big money only to see them underperform. I won't name names but there are four or five in the current "strongest 17".

Apisai Koroisau and Jarome Luai are the outliers, but most of the Tigers recent signings have been due to players having little other choice.

I don't want to kick the Tigers while they are down but it's truth!

Again, I don't want to name those players, but again ... we all know who they are.

By showing players, and fans, that the club isn't going to pander to player or agent demands, or is willing to move want-away stars on, they're showing confidence in themselves.

Confident that they can, once again, be a destination club. Confident that they can, once again, be a team that plays finals footy.

How many times have we seen big name players sign for Melbourne, Penrith or the Roosters for "unders"? Players will take under market value money to play for contenders.

Meanwhile the Tigers, currently, have to pay over market value to attract top line stars.

I'm hopeful that the Luai and Api connection can help kickstart a recruitment drive like that enjoyed by the Dogs. A few years ago the Dogs were feasting on scraps. In recent seasons they've attracted names like Matt Burton, Viliame Kikau and Stephen Crichton.

Those recruits will only arrive though if the Tigers can show they are serious.

Letting a supposed want-away star go shows that perhaps they are.

Flying your CEO to England to offer up players you've deemed excess to requirements also says they're getting serious.

There are four of five current Tigers who could go over to England and be stars. Or at least prolong their careers for a few seasons.

That said, they're no longer up to elite NRL standard, at least in the Tigers eyes.

Replacing Papali'i will be difficult but there is no way you can convince me that he's the difference between the Tigers making the eight and not.

If we're talking prime Cooper Cronk then of course the Tigers aren't allowing him to walk away but in Papali'i's case, so be it.

The player market isn't exactly heaving for 2025 right now but three days ago we didn't know Papali'i was going to move either.

With players and agents pushing for moves almost weekly, the Tigers can now sit on a pile of cap space and make smart choices, based on need.

You'd have to travel a long way to find a Tigers fan who would rather support a team without Papali'i in the side than one with him in there.

That said, there isn't a Tigers fan who, having suffered for over a decade now, wouldn't cop another down year or two if it meant a shift for the club long-term.

Benji and co have taken steps to ensure that happens.

Maybe it doesn't. At least they've changed from what they've been doing for ten years now, which absolutely has not worked.

Other clubs must laugh at us....3 x premiers, last 4 x GFinalists sanp up Papalii the moment hes released....and how many players prior?

Reactions: BZN
https://www.zerotackle.com/how-benjis-big-tiger-risks-will-change-club-fortunes-in-long-run-210203/

Star second-rower Isaiah Papali'i was granted permission to speak with other clubs for 2025. He was then snapped up by the Panthers very quickly.

Meanwhile CEO Shane Richardson has reportedly flown to England to discuss the availability of a number of his players.

As strange as this is going to sound, I absolutely love what I am hearing from the Tigers right now.

Talk was that Papali'i may have requested the chance to look at options next season. If this is true, the Tigers have absolutely made the right decision in allowing him to leave.

Will it help results in 2025? Almost certainly not. He's arguably a top three player for the club and his presence will be surely missed.

That said, the Wests Tigers are in a complete rebuild right now and it is far more important to establish a culture.

A culture where players are targeted and signed based on need and value, rather than just availability.

Despite the negativity on some corners of social media, Marshall and co have accepted that a change needs to be made and embracing the short-term pain for long-term gain.

Regarding Shane Richardson's trip to England, reports are that he is shopping a number of players to Super League clubs.

I have no idea who is supposedly on this reported shopping list but I dare say there are some overpaid and underperforming names in need of some warmer clothes.

Despite some sections of the media already penning Benji Marshall's coaching career obituary, I love what I have seen from the rookie coach to date.

Yes, results aren't great and finals look gone for 2024 but anyone who expected a seismic shift in one off-season is not living in reality.

We've seen the emergence of Lachlan Galvin, a better than expected return on Aidan Sezer and most importantly of all the signing of Jarome Luai.

Most importantly of all though Marshall looks to have implemented a "club first" mentality the Tigers have lacked for many years.

Rumours of players complaining about being trained too hard under Michael Maguire. Premiership winning coach and current NSW Blues coach Michael Maguire.

Players using the Tigers as a shopwindow before demanding releases. See Ryan Matterson.

Targeting former big name players on big money only to see them underperform. I won't name names but there are four or five in the current "strongest 17".

Apisai Koroisau and Jarome Luai are the outliers, but most of the Tigers recent signings have been due to players having little other choice.

Again, I don't want to name those players, but again ... we all know who they are.

By showing players, and fans, that the club isn't going to pander to player or agent demands, or is willing to move want-away stars on, they're showing confidence in themselves.

Confident that they can, once again, be a destination club. Confident that they can, once again, be a team that plays finals footy.

How many times have we seen big name players sign for Melbourne, Penrith or the Roosters for "unders"? Players will take under market value money to play for contenders.

Meanwhile the Tigers, currently, have to pay over market value to attract top line stars.

I'm hopeful that the Luai and Api connection can help kickstart a recruitment drive like that enjoyed by the Dogs. A few years ago the Dogs were feasting on scraps. In recent seasons they've attracted names like Matt Burton, Viliame Kikau and Stephen Crichton.

Flying your CEO to England to offer up players you've deemed excess to requirements also says they're getting serious.

There are four of five current Tigers who could go over to England and be stars. Or at least prolong their careers for a few seasons.

That said, they're no longer up to elite NRL standard, at least in the Tigers eyes.

Replacing Papali'i will be difficult but there is no way you can convince me that he's the difference between the Tigers making the eight and not.

If we're talking prime Cooper Cronk then of course the Tigers aren't allowing him to walk away but in Papali'i's case, so be it.

The player market isn't exactly heaving for 2025 right now but three days ago we didn't know Papali'i was going to move either.

With players and agents pushing for moves almost weekly, the Tigers can now sit on a pile of cap space and make smart choices, based on need.

You'd have to travel a long way to find a Tigers fan who would rather support a team without Papali'i in the side than one with him in there.

That said, there isn't a Tigers fan who, having suffered for over a decade now, wouldn't cop another down year or two if it meant a shift for the club long-term.

Maybe it doesn't. At least they've changed from what they've been doing for ten years now, which absolutely has not worked.

Nice well thought arguement/article.I would agree with much of it but the club has to get it RIGHT from here or we are back to square one.Onwards and hopefully upwards

Players have always been asking to leave. That hasn’t changed.
The difference now is nobody (as far as we know) is threatening they will be mowing LO. There’s your cultural change.

I think Shane Richardson has done a good job of getting out ahead of the Papali'i thing and controlling the narrative. Most things you read would have you believe that it is the Tigers getting rid of an underperforming, overpaid player rather than an international wanting out of a struggling club.

Years gone past, the club have never had enough guile to control the narrative on something like that. It makes a difference.

The proof of your (well thought) argument will be how the Dogs perform this year and the next. To my mind, their rebuilt is similar to where we are heading. To the extent that model is successful will tell us how well it works. What I fear the most though, is that we are not chasing a target that is standing still. For any improvement we make, the top clubs will move twice (or more) as fast, hence the pressure will be on from many years to come for us to accelerate (and overtake) other clubs.

Most of us are extremely bored with the club losing, losing, losing. Once again we are favourites for the spoon.

So I hope you're right.

This year I've had more pleasure watching the Broncos, Roosters, Storm, Titans, Sharks, Dolphins and Dogs more than I enjoyed watching the Tigers, aside from the Sharks and Parra games. It's a long way from the inconsistent but fun-to-watch Tigers before Ivan and Madge got involved.

The proof of your (well thought) argument will be how the Dogs perform this year and the next. To my mind, their rebuilt is similar to where we are heading. To the extent that model is successful will tell us how well it works. What I fear the most though, is that we are not chasing a target that is standing still. For any improvement we make, the top clubs will move twice (or more) as fast, hence the pressure will be on from many years to come for us to accelerate (and overtake) other clubs.
Thank you but I just call it as I see it.

Well as far as arguments go they also snapped up MWZ, Bobby Jennings, Eisenhuth and Garner from Tigers. So not necessarily a measure of assured quality.
WT has become a feeder club. Promising young players can gain FG experience with the Tigers and get their youthful injury problems out of the way. If they do well enough, then they can leave and join an proper club that actually has a chance to playing semis, or even winning the comp.

It's strange how it happened. For years WT sat at the edge of the semis. Then Ivan did those super expensive, disastrous recruitments before he jumped off the bus that he was contracted to drive.

Madge was never the right choice. He won a comp, but with a herd of rampaging Burgi in the pack and top players all over the park. But this high quality team did terribly in the next few years. So Souths sacked him. Seibold and Bennett took those same players to the finals. So, yeah, I never had faith that Madge was the right coach - he's a coach who can help elite players, but young players don't seem to come on with his style. Also, it seems that his intensity wears players down after while.

Then came Sheens the saviour, to bring us back to 2011 glory. Poor bugger was too old and out of practice. Another spoon.

We ignore Flanno and hire Benji as a rookie. I like Bula and Galvin. It looks like WT's only hope is to develop a group of smart, talented young players who are old pals and they could form a little tribe like Smith, Slater and Cronk for Storm or Cleary, Luai, To'o and Creighton or Panthers. These guys were the basis of their clubs' success.

Benji looks like he could get young players to develop. But they need a young gun halfback, three-quarter and second rower to join Bula and Galvin, guided by Api and Luai.

Sorry. I'm babbling ... WTs have melted my ancient brainand I had to vent :ROFLMAO:

I thought Papali’i was our best performing back rower?

Really?

Even with such little competition to be our best backrower he has been outplayed by an NRL rookie who has spent more of his playing time in the middle coming through.

It really is a sad state of affairs when two experienced, well credentialled backrowers get consistently outplayed by a first year NRL rookie playing out of position. On the flip side, thank God Sam Fainu has turned out better then we all could have hoped. I think his older brother is ready to make an impact in our pack too.

Great article. Loved this

Most of us are extremely bored with the club losing, losing, losing. Once again we are favourites for the spoon.

So I hope you're right.

This year I've had more pleasure watching the Broncos, Roosters, Storm, Titans, Sharks, Dolphins and Dogs more than I enjoyed watching the Tigers, aside from the Sharks and Parra games. It's a long way from the inconsistent but fun-to-watch Tigers before Ivan and Madge got involved.
No one likes watching a foregone conclusion.

Really?

Even with such little competition to be our best backrower he has been outplayed by an NRL rookie who has spent more of his playing time in the middle coming through.

It really is a sad state of affairs when two experienced, well credentialled backrowers get consistently outplayed by a first year NRL rookie playing out of position. On the flip side, thank God Sam Fainu has turned out better then we all could have hoped. I think his older brother is ready to make an impact in our pack too.
In your opinion in which way was Samuela better?
I like Samuela and think he's not only good now but has the potential to be much more dangerous with more experience.

The club has won 10 of their last 60 games and is on its way to their third spoon in a row …

These results are matching historic levels of ineptitude during the NRL era now pushing 25 years …

As we sit here in the middle of another dead season..no one can honestly say that things will be better next year …we don’t know what the team is going to look like .. but things are not trending well…trying to spin the early loss of this player as a positive , who whilst has been disappointing is one of a handful of genuine first graders at the club, is pure BS in my mind…. The three time premiers wasted no time acquiring him,,,

The team won’t improve overall by attracting players like Luia and Turuva but losing Ice and possibly Stef (?) … two steps forward… two steps back … it’s a team sport …so you have to improve the squad …. One in one out isn’t helping …

Lot of pressure on Richo to make something happen for next year …

Latest posts

Back