How do you rate the Coaching Staff at the half way mark?

Properossi

How do you rate the coaching staff's performance so far this season? After some criticism earlier, have they improved or should they still be looking for a new job at this point?

Overall Rating

C+

Doing a good job with injuries (Valid Excuse this year and have managed them well!) playing a factor.

Sheens C+ (still continues many dubious selections, is improving in noticing talent as well ie. simon dwyer)
Royce B (well he is the defensive coach, though im pretty sure folkes has caused the big change)
Folkes A+ (see above)

royce is offence and pete gentle is defence.

pete deserves a big wrap defence has improved out of sight in the last two years which he has been the defence doach

this year we are winning the games against the lower teams unlike last year but im still not sold…manly is the only top 8 team we've beaten...until we can get over the top teams regulary the coach gets a C- from me

Royce - B- (Structure is sometimes lacking)
Folkes - A- (Is having a huge impact on the boys mentally)
Burns - A (The boys can do Marathons this year and with the help of Folkes, Sean deserves a lot of credit)
Sheens - B+ (Has got the team working as a team, making team decisions and our attacking flair is sharp)
Leeds - C+ (Rehab has been average this year. KG is a good example and is still lacking confidence)

Overall Result - B+ (The Tigers will finish this season in the Top 4, on the back of Team Work, rather in the past we have relied on Individuals)
:sign:

After round 15:
2004\. won 7/14 f/a -3
2005\. won 6/14 f/a -48
2006\. won 7/14 f/a -7
2007\. won 7/14 f/a +1
2008\. won 7/14 f/a -18
2009\. won 5/14 f/a -45
2010\. won 8/13 f/a +29

I'm pleased with the replacements that are occuring when injuries strike, seems to be less shuffling and experimenting than in previous years

Defense as mentioned has improved remarkably in the last month

Our kicking game is still fairly/very average

Impressed with the grinding wins against Canberra especially and the Dogs to a lesser extent

Still concerned we havent beaten a team in the eight yet, juries still out.

It's hard to give a rating on this one IMO, We're not privy to what exactly the coaches put the team through each week. In terms of the Tigers position on the ladder they are doing well, I'd be interested to see how they go about planning each week's game and what instructions they give the team/players, that would be very interesting. Skillswise I think the Tigers are the best in the comp, and they're certainly one of the fittest sides running around, strength-wise they look a bit better too so Folkes has done well there. Attitude and execution have been the two things that have been disappointing during the Tigers 4 week losing streak, but since the Souths debacle, the team has definitely pulled together well and they have grinded out some wins and come from behind to beat both the Knights and Bulldogs, so the coaching staff deserves some wraps here too IMO.

The defence is working well after the Souths loss but the kicking game is still very much a hit and miss affair. If the Tigers had a kicker similar to Jamie Soward or Luke Walsh, they could very well be leading the comp given the difference it would make.

There's still improvement left though, I can see that the Tigers execution still isn't where they would want it to be, and if they can pick this area up, and keep up the good attitude on the field, they will be a force. As to how the coaching staff go about unleashing this potential, I'm not sure, most of it will be up to the players but it looks like there is a bit of confidence slowly building in the Tigers camp, and with some tough games coming up, they will need to be confident and well prepared.

Folkes has made the difference,Sheens still picks ridiculious sides(not as much now),we should be way past the back on the bench now,especially since he is playing Ayshford at half tonight,Flanagan,Dwyer or Ellis could cover centre for half a game if needed.

@willow said:
It's hard to give a rating on this one IMO, We're not privy to what exactly the coaches put the team through each week. In terms of the Tigers position on the ladder they are doing well, I'd be interested to see how they go about planning each week's game and what instructions they give the team/players, that would be very interesting. Skillswise I think the Tigers are the best in the comp, and they're certainly one of the fittest sides running around, strength-wise they look a bit better too so Folkes has done well there. Attitude and execution have been the two things that have been disappointing during the Tigers 4 week losing streak, but since the Souths debacle, the team has definitely pulled together well and they have grinded out some wins and come from behind to beat both the Knights and Bulldogs, so the coaching staff deserves some wraps here too IMO.

The defence is working well after the Souths loss but the kicking game is still very much a hit and miss affair. If the Tigers had a kicker similar to Jamie Soward or Luke Walsh, they could very well be leading the comp given the difference it would make.

There's still improvement left though, I can see that the Tigers execution still isn't where they would want it to be, and if they can pick this area up, and keep up the good attitude on the field, they will be a force. As to how the coaching staff go about unleashing this potential, I'm not sure, most of it will be up to the players but it looks like there is a bit of confidence slowly building in the Tigers camp, and with some tough games coming up, they will need to be confident and well prepared.

I have to agree with all of that

@willow said:
It's hard to give a rating on this one IMO, We're not privy to what exactly the coaches put the team through each week.

Exactly. It is pretty hard to rate each member of the coachng staff seperately.

From where we are atm you have to rate the coaching staff pretty highly however based on previous years you have to be sceptical. Lets see where we end up.

Ask the question in 13 weeks time during which time we play the real contenders , & you'll get a meaningful answer.
On one hand were 3rd,& winning some close games we may have lost previously.And defence has improved,which truly is a significant plus.
On the other hand,so many ongoing issues havent been addressed & will bite us at some stage.
We'll likely make the 8 courtesy of our current position + Storms problems + the demise of so many teams(Warriors,Sharks,NQL,Dogs,Knights ,Eels)
Over this 13 week period we'll blame injuries/refs calls/short turnaround/simple bad luck /players didnt follow my instructions & the dog ate my homework for losses.
And dont forget "were postioning ourselves for the future",hiliting our youth development program.Which is why we buy so many reserve grade discards from other clubs I guess.
Weve witnessed all this for many seasons now,so there'll be no surprises.Seen it all before.
This probable bottom 8 result(& I hope Im wrong) will simply serve to protect the backsides of the incumbent coaching staff for another season or two,but achieve nothing more..and in the long term considerably less.

@izotope said:
Sheens C+ (still continues many dubious selections, **is improving in noticing talent as well** ie. simon dwyer)
Royce B (well he is the defensive coach, though im pretty sure folkes has caused the big change)
Folkes A+ (see above)

what nonsense!

Tim spots talent with the best of them (Farah, Moltzen, DeGois, Harrison, Lawrence, T'eo, Tagive, Tuiaki, Marshall, Galloway, Ayshford, Dwyer, Heighington, Gibbs, Fulton, Saffy, Fifita, etc were all either plucked from nowhere or fast-tracked from juniors to first grade by the man)!

Sheens: (B-) Has done well to comeback from a terrible display against Souths to go on and win 4 in a row. However some of his selections have to questioned. Dropping an 'in form' Andrew Fifita is the one that comes to mind first.

Simmons: (B+) Defence was very patchy at the start of the year and I don't think we showed much self belief. When we finally realised defence was all about application and attitude, we then started to defend well.

Folkes: (A-) We look like a fit team this year. I don't think the short turnarounds really affected us much this year

Royce is in charge of attack this year.

Gentle has been working the defensive drills

Based on a half seasons worth of results its clear that we are in a much stronger position than previous years.

As many others have said, the team can grind out wins now and are getting much closer to competing for the full 80 rather than just turning it on in the back 40\. After round 11 last year we had just lost four games straight by a margin of 2 points or less. This will ease the pressure on them to perform and pull a six game streak out of their arse in the back eight games to secure a finals berth, but what makes more nervous is that since we are positioned so well the guys will get complacent.

At the moment:

Attack C+: Our kicking game is still far from good and we find it hard to pierce the line from the middle of the field unless its at least 50m from the line. There have been some moments of brilliance by the likes of Benji and Robbie (both Lui and Farah,) but our forwards have been the vast improvers, making good metres and laying the platform for the ball players which is great considering they are constantly punching well above their weight.

Defensive A-: Aside from last weekend, the game against Souths and the Round 2 game against the Cocks, defense has been terrific. No side is immune from a shellacking and even the top teams tend to get a touch up at least once during the year. Scrambling defense by the backs has been great, which have resulted in some great try saves. The team looks much fitter and can tough it out much longer, I would say largely thanks to Folkes and it has been evident particularly when our bench essentially has a 3 man rotation due to Sheens mandatory back policy.

Overall the team is tracking well. We're positioned in third place but have a rough draw from here on in. If the guys can recapture their attacking flair with consistency and maintain a good completion rate we could any team a good shake.

Wins against the Broncos and Titans would restore the confidence after the loss against the Dragons.

I give our recruitment a good rating

our coaching staff better then previous years, but still average. Yes we are 3rd but we're closer to 13th then we are to 1st. If we lose this week we could also be 10th.

Back