I was thinking.......

Chris

If by some miracle we manage to do the impossible and win the comp again, would you still want Tim Sheens sacked?

If by some miracle the Tigers did win the comp again, I would not want Sheens sacked. I think he's done well this season with what he's got. He's got the team competing each week whereas last year when the Tigers were in a stronger position, the team just didn't turn up to play in some matches. Second round clashes against the Eels, Manly and Sharks when the season was on the line and the team failed to fire up was most disappointing. This has not happened this season.

Where we have shown to be weak once again, is in the front row and also lacking stability in the halves. Benji can attack, Morris cannot. I guess I'm most critical of Sheens when it comes to his team selections, like most people on here would be. I think he has had better options at 6 than Morris, but has failed to use them. The current player cleanout could not come at a better time though.

I wouldn't sign him on a new contract.
Plus i don't think he would sign a new contract he is getting on, age wise.
If the tigers don't make the finals, expect a press conference where Tim sheen's stands down due to the fact of his age…he has been coaching for too long for any club to kick him out in a manner which is not respectful. A modern coaching legend, even though he has had his troubles.

Who would coach us if sheens left? They would probably make Simmons head coach. But I wouldn't mind seeing brian noble as coach, I hear he is on the outer in England.

I wouldn't sack him, however I will wait until Round 13 next season to see how good we are doing, to see if it was a fluke or not. If it was, I would sign a replacement (Shane Flanagan or Stephen Kearney).

I think Sheens should have gone this year….would have loved to see him as a Coaching Director /Mentor role like Lang at Souths of Gus wherever he wants to stick his bib...But no to Royce or Gentle....Fletcher or U 20's Coach might be worth a shot from within...Flannagan looks the best of the untried coaches....Although Sharks haven't been setting the world on fire...

I wouldn't resiging Sheens..... if he won us the comp this year....

This may sound totally stupid by I would be throwing every penny of the Coaching bubget to get Wayne Bennett for 2011...before you all fall on the floor laughing....Think about it.....St George Illawarra where said to be in a worse finacial position than us....Yet they can afford him...Oh and play 6x6 at Kogarah/Win.....but that's a whole other can of worms hey.....

Thats a massive hypothetical and one I wouldn't mind contemplating. If he got the team up you would have to give him an extension for at least a year or two. After all, its what you strive for as a club so reward success.

In saying that, Sheens does seem a bit stale here. Ideas are few and far between and I think he rewards mediocrity far too often and needs to look at dropping players who aren't performing. He also seems to like recruiting players to play different positions at which they have had success to that point; eg Moltzen at fullback, Galea as a forward, Payten as a lock, Morris as a half and numerous utility tags for players who had preferred positions.

If we win the comp this year he shouldn't be sacked otherwise he should be.

I want him gone.

Perhaps in the miracle event of us winning the competition I would change my mind, but currently as we stand right now the club just has a "stale" feel about it for mind.

We need a lot of changes, both in the coaching AND player staff imo.

How could any of you think of sacking a coach who won a 2 titles in 4yrs…. :eek:pen_mouth:

As unlucky the event is... that's insane to say you'd still want him sacked...

I still want him on board for next season regardless of whether we make the eight.. we've suffered from some very poor recruitment and the clean out we've been all waiting for is now upon us... should it happen (it does look like it) next year i think will be a completely different story to the past 3 seasons!

@Kaiser said:
How could any of you think of sacking a coach who won a 2 titles in 4yrs…. :eek:pen_mouth:

I still want him on board for next season regardless of whether we make the eight.. we've suffered from some very poor recruitment and the clean out we've been all waiting for is now upon us... should it happen (it does look like it) next year i think will be a completely different story to the past 3 seasons!

Where is the clean-out that is "now upon us"?

How has it started?

* Morris is gone…
* Tagive is gone... (whether it's good or not.. he's left and opened up a spot in our 25)

By most reports

* Halatau looks to be gone...
* Payne looks to be gone...
* Collis looks to be gone
* Trimachi looks to be gone

Now... sounds like Fulton should be coming back, although I'd rather he not...

If these players aren't retained we've opened up 7 places in our top 25! How many more would you like gone before you consider it to be a clean-out? Also in my post I alluded to the point that the clean-out looked as though it is coming...

@Kaiser said:

Who do you think is responsible for the recruitment at Wests Tigers?

Because it would appear that Sheens has more say in the Club than you would expect for a coach(Look at the squeezing out of Longmuir), do you believe Sheens has NO say in who is recruited and who is re-signed?

If YOU were the coach of Wests Tigers and this crap recruitment/retention policy had been going on for four years, would you be sitting quiet and watching your attempts to build a premiership-winning team be ruined?

You say **"the clean out we've been all waiting for is now upon us…"** ... Where is it?

The biggest problem Wests Tigers has is that Sheens has too much power, but he takes no resposibility for his actions and when an attempt was made to make him take responsibility he helped squeeze the CEO out.

@MightyMaggy said:
Who do you think is responsible for the recruitment at Wests Tigers?

Because it would appear that Sheens has more say in the Club than you would expect for a coach(Look at the squeezing out of Longmuir), do you believe Sheens has NO say in who is recruited and who is re-signed?

If YOU were the coach of Wests Tigers and this crap recruitment/retention policy had been going on for four years, would you be sitting quiet and watching your attempts to build a premiership-winning team be ruined?

You say **"the clean out we've been all waiting for is now upon us…"** ... Where is it?

The biggest problem Wests Tigers has is that Sheens has too much power, but he takes no responsibility for his actions and when an attempt was made to make him take responsibility he helped squeeze the CEO out.

Of-course i think the Coach is responsible for the recruitment of the squad! He builds the team he wants around him… The unfortunate thing is, if you make poor choices in your recruitment one year... you will pay the result for the next 2 or 3 seasons... which is the case for the Tigers...

Retention hasn't been an issue... EVERY club looses good players to other clubs... you can't keep them all!!! The Tigers have retained some quality players and the players we've lost have generally stepped up after leaving the club... like others have suggested... generally a change of scenery for a player does them a world of good... we have suffered severely since loosing the worlds best halfback still running around, I'm not sure what people expected to happen in terms of Prince's replacement...
_You say **"the clean out we've been all waiting for is now upon us..."** ... Where is it_

I made mention that it **<big>LOOKS</big>** to be upon us and like i said in the post before... it looks as though we are freeing up as much as 7 spots in next yrs top 25! To me that's a pretty good sign that a clean-out is on the horizon...
_The biggest problem Wests Tigers has is that Sheens has too much power, but he takes no responsibility for his actions and when an attempt was made to make him take responsibility he helped squeeze the CEO out._

This point i do agree... it does appear that Sheen's has a control over the club no other coach has...and I have been frustrated as all hell towards some of Sheensey's decisions over the past few years... but further to Sheen's i have been frustrated with the Club as a whole and there isn't one area to blame but numerous... There's no point in giving the boot to Sheen's at the end of this season, especially when it appears he has the backing of the players (or i haven't heard or read anything to indicate otherwise)... when he looses the support of his players, that's when you should start to make some hard-lined decisions...

Im of the opinion that Sheens has been there 1 or 2 seasons to long but if we won the comp from here it would be the greatest come back in history & i would change my mind for sure

Tim Sheens will see his time out at wests-tigers.
when his contract ends he will be close to the age of 60.
he may wish to go to another club, or he may wish to retire.
either way I wish him all the best.
yes some the the selections he has made over the past few seasons :blush: really frustrate us.
in saying that we are not in his position and do not see what goes on in the inner sanctum of the club, so he maybe trying to the best with what he has available. :eek:pen_mouth:

Sheens needs to look at cleaning out his personnel around him as Bennett did with the Broncos…. it's all well and good to show loyalty but if the personnel are not working????
If he did this I for one would support him next year and with others gone in the player ranks and a few new signings maybe his swan song year could go Ok .

i doubt we will even make the top 8 this yr. i think it would be best for us if he was to leave now (if we could find a good replacement for the rest of this year). that way the replacement can decide who we sign. gus gets on my nerves at times but i think he would be a good coach for us with matty johns as assistant coach :sunglasses: .

Latest posts

Staff online

Back