Internet plan help please

system

I'm sure there is a topic somewhere I just can't find it. I was sweet talked tonight by door to door blokes from Telstra & have signed up for a home phone, internet & Foxtel package. I already have Fox, got rid of house phone a year ago cause was sick of paying rent.

I do miss my home phone & this package APPEARS to be good.

HOWEVER, is Telstra internet any good? I have been with Netspace for years & no problems. I have signed up for 5GB, not sure what I am currently on, will check later. Of course I have the option to pay more & get 25GB.

I have a 10 day cooling off period so looking for pro's & con's of Telstra internet please.

TIA.

PS. I don't d/l movies, not PC savvy enough for that, just the usual surfing, youtube, email, music, internet banking, msn, Apple d/l & FB.

@Annibelle said:
HOWEVER, is Telstra internet any good? I have been with Netspace for years & no problems. I have signed up for 5GB, not sure what I am currently on, will check later. Of course I have the option to pay more & get 25GB.
I have a 10 day cooling off period so looking for pro's & con's of Telstra internet please.

Pros:
Stable

Cons:
Slow speeds
Low DL quota
Ridiculous pricing

To put it in perspective, Telstra had/have this plan:
1500kb/s
12GB per month
$70 per month

Another ISP such as TPG has this:
Up to 24000kb/s
130GB per month
$60 per month

I'm with TPG and getting 180GB for $50 a month. Overall I'm happy with them.

I am with TPG too and cannot complain. I am on a 25GB plan for $39.95.

I left Telstra because they were not prepared to match anyone else's pricing - in fact they were virtually glad that I was leaving. No-one made any effort to try and keep me! They will offer you a deal until they have got you and then they don't look after you.

You can always get a better deal than Telstra if you shop. TPG, iinet, even Optus has a combo plan for phone and internet which is good value. However, if they are giving you a good deal on the home phone and Foxtel, and you needed to pay line rental with Telstra for your copper cable anyway, then it may not be too bad a deal.

TPG is the best value of the big companies, but it does have a few niggling issues.
At the end of the day, i'd rather the massive more downloads and greater speed if it means the net goes down once or twice a year for a few hours.

TPG are great for value, horrible for customer service. If you have someone in the house who is cluey with computers, TPG is great.

One thing I would do is check your distance from the exchange no matter what ISP you choose and research it's reliability. Some exchanges for certain ISP's are notoriously bad (visit http://www.whirlpool.net.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)… Either way, your distance relies on the distance of your house to the exchange, 24000kbps will only be available for someone living next door to the exchange for example. If you are a couple kms away... you are looking at 8000 - 10000kbps tops (still very fast though), but anything over 3kms... you are looking at 3000 to 8000 kbps MAX and will probably experience line issues and dropouts.

Here's TPG's exchanges mapped out http://www.tpg.com.au/maps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Click the blue marker closest to you and it'll show you what zone you fall in... it's speed estimates are pretty accurate too.

I am on TPG's Naked ADSL2+ 180GB plan.... no complaints although our home phone keeps dropping out which sucks... but i think it is more the result of a crappy router / modem.

Stay clear of the big two providers...Telstra (over-priced and crappy speeds) and Optus (personal hatred lol)

Unless you are in a rural area and there is no, or very limited, choice telstra will not be your best option for cost (by miles), service or reliability.

If you are in a rural area where there's stuff all choice (like me) then they are the only option other than satellite which has a $1000 install cost.
or, if you are going to be doing a lot of travelling and want the best wireless network for coverage and reliability then that is Telstra. Optus' network has far less coverage of rural areas and is a worse wireless network (almost all wireless providers use the Optus wireless network).

Having worked at Optus and of late AAPT (About to go broke) - I would still opt for TPG Best bang for your buck

I have Naked DSL (No home phone) with TPG - No issues.

Check out the definitve source for all things ISP

http://www.whirlpool.net.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and more specifically http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have TPG. It's fast and if I go over the download limit I don't have to pay extra. The speed just slows down but it is still fast enough. I was with iinet before that and it's the same thing. I think iinet costed a little bit more but it had a 24 hour help desk if anything went wrong. Sometimes with TPG you wait for a while inline to get help but I haven't had many problems with either ISP.

I'm with IInet. It's pretty good. TPG is better though.

Telstra are improving. They have bundle deals that aren't TOO bad now. They are a sight better than Optus in every single way.

hard to disagree with some of the comments i ve been with telstra bigpond for 3 yrs now and never had a problem its very very stable quick speeds and great customer service and all im paying is $49.95 for 25gb on adsl 2+ at 20000 mb/s but that deal sounds ok as i have mystar hd and pay $125.95 p/m about $70 p/m on home phone and then $49.95 p/m on big pond so work that out
125.95+70.00+49.95=$245.90p/m

Hi everyone
I'm with Optus - $79.95/month gets me all my national phone calls, calls to Optus mobiles, and calls to other mobiles capped at $2.50 for 20 minutes. I get 4gb internet access - plenty for me - I don't download movies, and just a few itunes, maybe.
No problems at all with this. (Of course, there is the usual extra fee for paying by credit card - but each month I know I am up for about $83-85.

Tigergran

I'm also thinking of changing plans.
Been with Optus for a while now, theyve been OK for me i guess, though I know theres cheaper, I have home phone & net bundled…thinking of dumping the home phone.
Last year I upgraded to a 12 month contract which expires the end of July, if I ditch Optus do they come back and take the modem or do I have to return that?? A
Any other grief I need to go thru other than getting onto a new mob and waiting around for them to come>?

@MacDougall said:
I'm with IInet. It's pretty good. TPG is better though.

Telstra are improving. They have bundle deals that aren't TOO bad now. They are a sight better than Optus in every single way.

TPG is good. If they had ADSL2 on the Central Coast I'd go with them. Could be wrong but I have a feeling they don't count uploads in their limits? In any case you'd have to do some hard core downloading to break the cap in most cases.

dont know if your still reading this but im with iinet and they have just bumped up their download quota on naked dsl which is what i have. tpg is still got the best package i think but iinet's customer service is still alot better ive heard.

@Yossarian said:
TPG is good. If they had ADSL2 on the Central Coast I'd go with them. Could be wrong but I have a feeling they don't count uploads in their limits? In any case you'd have to do some hard core downloading to break the cap in most cases.

Most TPG plans don't count uploads.

http://tpg.com.au/products_services/adsl2plus_pricing.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@djm619 said:
@Yossarian said:

Most TPG plans don't count uploads.

http://tpg.com.au/products_services/adsl2plus_pricing.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's really good. The other plus TPG has is their onpeak/offpeak split is quite reasonable. A lot of ISPs stack it close to 25/75 in terms of on peak to off peak ratio. All very good for downloads you can set overnight but it's not hard to reach the on peak limit and have a massive amount of GB in the off.

Like I said if I could get them where I am I'd switch in a minute. Maybe the NBN will take care of that but it could be a long wait.

Back