It just goes to show

anderson_silva

that how crap we really were travelling at the start of the year, to think we win 6 straight or 7 of our last 8 to be in 5th then one loss and we are gonskis out of the 8

I dont know whats worse - how crap our first 14 weeks were or how teams like us and parra can for the majority of the season be playing crap but still make the finals or in with a punchers chance of doing it

I honestly feel if we went with:

Gallant
marshall
moltzen

from game one we wouldnt of had to win 6 in a row to be in contention and wouldnt have to win our last 2 games to make the finals, again i feel we will finish 9th or 10th and the excuses from sheens and royce will flood in again, but simply put, its not acceptable

We had mixed form in the first 14 rounds.

If you dropped Moltzen in firsts at half from round 1 there would have been more than a few games like Lui played tonight. Plus playing with Collis as his centre that side would have continued to leak points just as it did regardless.

For mine the real turning point for our season was the move of Ayshford to right centre. That side stopped leaking metres allowing the guys in the pack to not have to back-track as often. A small thing can make a massive difference

It's news to me that we were crap for the first half of the season. We competed in virtually every game we played and were in virtually every game with 10 minutes to go. A couple of games blew out in that final 10 minutes, such as against the Panthers but that was because we were throwing the ball around trying to win the game. There were of course those 3 weeks where we lost games by 2, 1 and 2 points.

We have definitely improved during the year to the point where we are one of the teams in the best form at the moment. The team who are in the best form right now are Parra, and they hardly embarrassed us last night. I may be ignorant, not having seen any of Parra's earlier games, but I considered them to really be crap for the first half of the season. Their for and against was awful.

Teams every year go through periods of good and bad form. Parra's case is extreme this year. I don't think our case is extreme at all…

Slowish start to the season and those close losses have left us in a tedious position. Attitude has improved though which is why we still believe we are a chance. Injuries no doubt hurt the team gain momentum and combinations. The turning point I think was when youth was given a chance. The likes of Ayshford, Schirnack and Dwyer got their shots and seemed to invigorate the side.

@Juro said:
It's news to me that we were crap for the first half of the season. We competed in virtually every game we played and were in virtually every game with 10 minutes to go. A couple of games blew out in that final 10 minutes, such as against the Panthers but that was because we were throwing the ball around trying to win the game. There were of course those 3 weeks where we lost games by 2, 1 and 2 points.

We have definitely improved during the year to the point where we are one of the teams in the best form at the moment. The team who are in the best form right now are Parra, and they hardly embarrassed us last night. I may be ignorant, not having seen any of Parra's earlier games, but I considered them to really be crap for the first half of the season. Their for and against was awful.

Teams every year go through periods of good and bad form. Parra's case is extreme this year. I don't think our case is extreme at all…

Spot on. To say we were crap for the first half of the year is outrageous.

For those still feeling despondant about our chances; have another crack at the ladder predictor. I am not the best tipster in the world, but even with moderately biased tips it looks like we can make it into the 8 with for and against even if we only win one more. I reckon the boys are good for 2 more wins though.

@Hbom said:
@Juro said:

For those still feeling despondant about our chances; have another crack at the ladder predictor. I am not the best tipster in the world, but even with moderately biased tips it looks like we can make it into the 8 with for and against even if we only win one more. I reckon the boys are good for 2 more wins though.

yes having a 5-9 record is an awesome start to a season YAY tigers YAY we only lost by 4 points YAY

@Hbom said:
@Juro said:

Jeez, you forgot quick. Our form was that bad quite a lot of people were expecting another year of missing the 8… and possibly even the spoon.

Good for 2 more wins? That's a bit of a stretch... maybe if we had a full strength team we could win but now that we've had a few and are versing two of the Top 4 teams makes it incredibly difficult.

We were behind Cronulla at one stage after they had lost 9 in a row at one stage this year… Thats a bad start to the season!

Gotta hand it to the boys though with the way they have bounced back.

Yes, there is no argument that we were losing games. However, I dispute that we were awful at any stage this year. I wasn't doing cartwheels when we fell to second last place but I wasn't slitting my throat because I knew we were competing and the wins would come. It just looks like a couple of those narrow losses early in the season will probably keep us out of the finals again.

The wonderful thing with sport though is that there is always next time. Get out there and compete. If you win, great. If you lose, dust yourself off and get in there again.

@Hbom said:
@Juro said:

Weren't we in second last spot at one point around mid-season? We also lost 5 games in a row at another point. It that's not a crap first half of the year I don't know what is.

We were a crap side against the Cows and Manly early in the season.

Other than that we have performed better than the results indicate

most of our improvement can be directed at the big pom most of the other players have been up and down in form just like the previous few years

If we don't beat both the Titans and Bulldogs we don't deserve to be in the finals. It's as simple as that. Doesn't matter that they're 2nd and 3rd. After all, if we make it it's very likely we'll have to play one of them again in the first week, anyway.

Just for once I wish we could have a season where we were comfortably ensconsed (or however you spell it) in the top eight with a couple of weeks to play. Like in 2005.

@anderson silva said:
that how crap we really were travelling at the start of the year, to think we win 6 straight or 7 of our last 8 to be in 5th then one loss and we are gonskis out of the 8

I dont know whats worse - how crap our first 14 weeks were or how teams like us and parra can for the majority of the season be playing crap but still make the finals or in with a punchers chance of doing it

Gallant
marshall
moltzen

from game one we wouldnt of had to win 6 in a row to be in contention and wouldnt have to win our last 2 games to make the finals, again i feel we will finish 9th or 10th and the excuses from sheens and royce will flood in again, but simply put, its not acceptable

It is becoming a VERY common theme here on these forums that why didn't Sheens go with Gallant at 1 & Moltzen at 7 from the start, then we wouldnt be in this position. Particularly amongst those with an anti sheens agenda. I read someone here saying why did Sheens persist with Morris for so long when he should have put Moltzen at 7\. People here dont seem to understand that Moltzen and Gallant are very young, and it has taken time for both to develop to this stage and for Sheens & co. to have that confidence to make that step.

Moltzen played 1st grade last year and was NOWHERE NEAR the lpayer he is now. I'd go so far as to say that he was nowhere near as good at the start of THIS season.

Glenn

@Glennb said:
@anderson silva said:

Gallant
marshall
moltzen

It is becoming a VERY common theme here on these forums that why didn't Sheens go with Gallant at 1 & Moltzen at 7 from the start, then we wouldnt be in this position. Particularly amongst those with an anti sheens agenda. I read someone here saying why did Sheens persist with Morris for so long when he should have put Moltzen at 7\. People here dont seem to understand that Moltzen and Gallant are very young, and it has taken time for both to develop to this stage and for Sheens & co. to have that confidence to make that step.

Moltzen played 1st grade last year and was NOWHERE NEAR the lpayer he is now. I'd go so far as to say that he was nowhere near as good at the start of THIS season.

Glenn

The argument wasn't just for Moltzen to play half, the argument was against Morris in the halves.

Sheens made a HUGE mistake keeping Morris in the halves for as long as he did, even the most one eyed Sheens supporter should be able to admit this.

Whether Moltzen should have been in the #7 earlier or someone else, that is up for debate, but Morris should have been playing #14 from the start of the year.

Hmmm…Morris in the halves.....Wonder if Sheens stuck with him so long was to accomadate the development of his protoge The Massiah....Benji Marshall just a thought....?

It just goes to show Galloway got injured which robbed us of our go-forward for an extended period which shut down the space our attack needed, I'd go as far as saying has Benji even played a decent game without Galloway on the field?

If only Gibbs, Payten etc. were in form earlier in the year and Skando was included from the get-go I think we would be looking at a vastly different position.

Back