Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to NSW Supreme Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snidest 0

We seriously dodged a bullet with Ciraldo....

And the RLPA should hand in their accreditation if they have let this kid hang out to dry because they're scared of Gus!

That nobody seems to have learned even after Keith Titmuss is a disgrace (and how the Titans still employ Des after the coronial inquest findings is even more disgusting)!

A young Canterbury forward has launched legal proceedings against the Bulldogs amid allegations that a punishment he was forced to endure was a “deprivation of liberty” and “unlawful corporal punishment”.

Brent Read and Phil Rothfield

Jackson Topine hasn’t returned to the Bulldogs since the incident. Picture: Alix Sweeney

Jackson Topine hasn’t returned to the Bulldogs since the incident. Picture: Alix Sweeney

Young Canterbury forward Jackson Topine has launched legal proceedings against the Bulldogs amid allegations that a punishment he was forced to endure over being late for training was a “deprivation of liberty” and “unlawful corporal punishment”.

The Australian newspaper report said that statement of claim had been lodged by Topine’s legal team with the NSW Supreme Court alleging that the 22-year-old - a former Bulldogs club person of the year - had been subjected to “assault”, “battery” and “humiliation” at the behest of one of the club’s conditioning staff.

Jackson Topine during a game against the Cowboys in Townsville in 2021. Picture: Alix Sweeney

Jackson Topine during a game against the Cowboys in Townsville in 2021. Picture: Alix Sweeney

This masthead reported last year that a player at the Bulldogs had taken mental health leave after being forced to wrestle every member of the first grade squad as a punishment for mistakenly arriving late for a training session.

This masthead declined to name the player at the time out of respect for the personal battle he was enduring. At the time, it was reported that he was considering taking legal action against the Bulldogs over his treatment and it has now emerged that he has taken the first step in that process.

The court documents, which have been obtained by The Australian, allege that despite Topine’s obvious exhaustion and distress, his teammates were ordered by head trainer Travis Touma to continue wrestling him.

How the Daily Telegraph covered the incident when it happened.

“Each player in the Bulldogs roster, who were the plaintiff’s opponents in wrestling match-ups, possessed high levels of fitness and strength,” the court statement reads.
“(Touma) directed (Topine’s) opponents in the wrestling match-ups not to reduce intensity by saying words to the following effect, ‘Don’t let him up if he’s down, jump on him straight away’.

“As a result of completing the performance of all wrestling match-ups required under the wrestling direction, (Topine) required assistance in performing limited physical functions, including, standing and walking.”

The statement of claims backs reports in this masthead last year in which it was alleged that Topine had no idea he was late for training.

“The plaintiff arrived late to training in circumstances where he made a mistake in relation to reading the training schedule for 18 July 2023 of “Arrive/ strapping 8am” then “Wrestle 8.30am”, the statement reads.

“On arrival, he greeted numerous players and staff. He was available and prepared for the commencement of the scheduled wrestling training at 8.30am.

“After completing the scheduled wrestling training (which was undertaken by all players in the Bulldogs player roster present over an hour and a half) from approximately 8.30am until 10.00am, the second defendant (Touma) directed the plaintiff (Topine), as a condition of his employment, to engage in individual wrestling match-ups with between 30 to 35 players in the Bulldogs NRL Player Roster (the “wrestling direction”).”

Jackson Topine is a former Australian schoolboys captain who was signed to the Bulldogs as a 15-year-old. Picture: Brett Costello

Jackson Topine is a former Australian schoolboys captain who was signed to the Bulldogs as a 15-year-old. Picture: Brett Costello

Topine was one of the Bulldogs’ most promising young players prior to the incident which has now seemingly cost him his place at the club. According to the NRL website he is still contracted to the club for this season but he has been removed from the Bulldogs’ website.

Revelations that he has commenced court proceedings against the club shape as a significant setback for coach Cameron Ciraldo as he looks to maintain the club’s promising form this season - they have won three of their opening seven games and thrashed the Newcastle Knights last weekend.

The Bulldogs have the bye this week but they now face disturbing allegations in relation to a story that was first revealed by this masthead nearly eight months ago.

At the time, Bulldogs head of football Phil Gould was dismissive of the claims and club officials privately downplayed allegations that Topine had been treated poorly.
“Has there been a group of players who approach the club dissatisfied with culture or other matters? No, that hasn’t happened, never at any time …“ Gould said on his own podcast, Six Tackles with Gus last year.

“But we’re strongly in support of the standards that we’re trying to enforce at the club and the culture that we’re trying to create and turning around what’s been a very poor last decade for the Bulldogs and that will take time.”

Ciraldo also defended the club’s systems when the story broke last year.

“We’ve gone through a range of different ways of talking about holding standards,” Ciraldo said.

“Some of that’s been monetary related, some of it’s been spinning a wheel and then some of that’s been trying to find ways to change behaviours.
“The reality is we need to change behaviours here, and I think we’ve done a good job of that throughout the season. And I feel really sorry for the fans that we are where we are. It doesn’t seem like we’ve taken steps forward this year on the same wins as last year.

“We definitely haven’t taken steps back.”

Ciraldo and Gould are likely to be central figures in the court battle given they have presided over the club and the renovation of its culture.

The Bulldogs told The Australian that they take mental health very seriously but would not provide responses to specific questions.

“Our club will not be providing responses to the questions below as requested … but will say that there are a number of allegations that we categorically deny,” a Bulldogs spokeswoman wrote.

“Some of the questioning … relates specifically to employees or their contracts and as with all employee matters, these are strictly confidential in nature … We also take player welfare very seriously and place the best interests and welfare of our players and staff as our number one priority.

“As we do take mental health concerns very seriously and given the appropriate sensitivities that should be applied in matters concerning mental health, the club will not be making any comment at this time on any of the individuals at the centre of the allegations.”

So he did an hour and a half of wrestling training and then copped the additional work of individually wrestling every squad member until he couldn’t walk…and Gus said “nothing to see here”.

So he did an hour and a half of wrestling training and then copped the additional work of individually wrestling every squad member until he couldn’t walk…and Gus said “nothing to see here”.
Seems what they are saying and if correct the coach should be barred from the nrl as it’s under his watch , 1 1/2 hours then 30 players one after the other , that is battery , hope he wins this case and then get picked up by another club , was meant to be a fair player

Seems what they are saying and if correct the coach should be barred from the nrl as it’s under his watch , 1 1/2 hours then 30 players one after the other , that is battery , hope he wins this case and then get picked up by another club , was meant to be a fair player
Captained Australian Schoolboys…he can bang

Plays 2nd row where we are light on troops. Could be a good pick up for our situation, but the concern is the court case distraction amongst other things.

Reactions: BZN
Maybe we should grab him show clubs that we are a club that give a shit about our Players , and he may become a very good club man after his terrible treatment , just needs a good club
the most concerning thing is that he was a great clubman. he won the award for the Dogs a couple years back and did a stack of things behind the scenes.

Touma will end up deregistered for this, or at least I hope. the Dogs were aware of Topine's mental health struggles but ignored that when he made a mistake in showing up "late". this, plus Titmuss' death is going to change the way clubs train.

I doubt the Bulldogs could have valued Topine to inflict that level of humiliation for what an example of building culture? I thought good culture was one in all in. That sort of treatment - if it is accurate - goes back to the old days boarding school belittlement.
Same year that they got TVP off the books to pursue a boxing career who now indicates he wants back - how convenient for the Bulldogs to wipe an inflated contract. They managed to also move on RFM who suddenly became surplus when he was sympathiser and then went on a spending spree.
If it is a BS account of what happened the courts will decide, and the kids career is pretty much over. Otherwise it will be an expensive
lesson for the Bulldogs about punishment methods for turning up late.

Maybe we should grab him show clubs that we are a club that give a shit about our Players , and he may become a very good club man after his terrible treatment , just needs a good club
I hope Ciraldo and Gus get hauled over hot coals big time, and very slowly, for the treatment dished out to this young bloke.

Some blokes do need this sort of treatment to bring them into line, but others need to be cuddled/encouraged with kindness and 'positive' criticism.

I know of a bloke whose wife hammers him for the slightest little thing he does or says that she doesn't like, and I've noticed a definite big decline in his mental health over many years.
As the saying goes...you catch more flies with honey than you do with a stick.

So...be kind to those around you, and if you can put a happy smile on at least one person's face every day, the world could be a better place.
@tiger_one and @Buttface do a bloody good job of putting a smile on my face most days.

Last edited:
It's very unlike an NRL player to sue his employer for over training as far as I'm aware. So for Jackson to do it, he must not be in a good place or the offence must have been extremely harsh. Hope the Dogs and his family are looking after his wellbeing.

I don't think anyone (media or fans) really knows the full story or that it will ever come out. This will end up in a sealed settlement in the next few months. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot worse than this has happened at a lot of clubs but just been swept under the rug.

Hope Jackson is able to come out of it and get his NRL career back on track.

I doubt the Bulldogs could have valued Topine to inflict that level of humiliation for what an example of building culture? I thought good culture was one in all in. That sort of treatment - if it is accurate - goes back to the old days boarding school belittlement.
Same year that they got TVP off the books to pursue a boxing career who now indicates he wants back - how convenient for the Bulldogs to wipe an inflated contract. They managed to also move on RFM who suddenly became surplus when he was sympathiser and then went on a spending spree.
If it is a BS account of what happened the courts will decide, and the kids career is pretty much over. Otherwise it will be an expensive
lesson for the Bulldogs about punishment methods for turning up late.
I suggest this kid's career is probably over, and I hope he gets everything he is fighting for in the way of compensation.

I know of a really good and decent WTs supporter that had the distinction of playing for Australia under 20's in Soccer.
His career was ruined by his then coaches hammering/abusing him for the slightest mistake, which eventually affected him psychologically and just wore him out physically.
A wasted talent without a doubt.

I can now understand why Michael Maguire was not a successful coach for Us.
He was going to turn what he thought were boys into men, by running them into the ground.

I suggest this kid's career is probably over, and I hope he gets everything he is fighting for in the way of compensation.
I know of a really good and decent WTs supporter that had the distinction of playing for Australia under 20's in Soccer.
His career was ruined by his then coaches hammering/abusing him for the slightest mistake, which eventually affected him psychologically and just wore him out physically.
A wasted talent without a doubt.

I can now understand why Michael Maguire was not a successful coach for Us.
He was going to turn what he thought were boys into men, by running them into the ground.
I'm all for training hard but singling players out as an example and to use humiliation as a form of punishment nah. I find it very hard to believe that if S Crichton was 10 mins late they would subject him to the same kind of treatment. The whole thing seems off - and now up to the courts to sort out the facts from the fiction.

And a good club Imo would be WTs, as I think Benji has the ability to communicate with each and every player in the way 'they' need to bring out their best, as does Wayne Bennett.

I'm all for training hard but singling players out as an example and to use humiliation as a form of punishment nah. I find it very hard to believe that if S Crichton was 10 mins late they would subject him to the same kind of treatment. The whole thing seems off - and now up to the courts to sort out the facts from the fiction.
Where was the RLPA??

They were out in force holding hands with Nofa when his grievance was just trumped up nonsense - but this kid is forced to take individual civil legal action with no support from the player's association?

We seriously dodged a bullet with Ciraldo....

And the RLPA should hand in their accreditation if they have let this kid hang out to dry because they're scared of Gus!

That nobody seems to have learned even after Keith Titmuss is a disgrace (and how the Titans still employ Des after the coronial inquest findings is even more disgusting)!

A young Canterbury forward has launched legal proceedings against the Bulldogs amid allegations that a punishment he was forced to endure was a “deprivation of liberty” and “unlawful corporal punishment”.

Brent Read and Phil Rothfield

Young Canterbury forward Jackson Topine has launched legal proceedings against the Bulldogs amid allegations that a punishment he was forced to endure over being late for training was a “deprivation of liberty” and “unlawful corporal punishment”.

The Australian newspaper report said that statement of claim had been lodged by Topine’s legal team with the NSW Supreme Court alleging that the 22-year-old - a former Bulldogs club person of the year - had been subjected to “assault”, “battery” and “humiliation” at the behest of one of the club’s conditioning staff.

This masthead reported last year that a player at the Bulldogs had taken mental health leave after being forced to wrestle every member of the first grade squad as a punishment for mistakenly arriving late for a training session.

This masthead declined to name the player at the time out of respect for the personal battle he was enduring. At the time, it was reported that he was considering taking legal action against the Bulldogs over his treatment and it has now emerged that he has taken the first step in that process.

The court documents, which have been obtained by The Australian, allege that despite Topine’s obvious exhaustion and distress, his teammates were ordered by head trainer Travis Touma to continue wrestling him.

“Each player in the Bulldogs roster, who were the plaintiff’s opponents in wrestling match-ups, possessed high levels of fitness and strength,” the court statement reads.
“(Touma) directed (Topine’s) opponents in the wrestling match-ups not to reduce intensity by saying words to the following effect, ‘Don’t let him up if he’s down, jump on him straight away’.

“As a result of completing the performance of all wrestling match-ups required under the wrestling direction, (Topine) required assistance in performing limited physical functions, including, standing and walking.”

The statement of claims backs reports in this masthead last year in which it was alleged that Topine had no idea he was late for training.

“The plaintiff arrived late to training in circumstances where he made a mistake in relation to reading the training schedule for 18 July 2023 of “Arrive/ strapping 8am” then “Wrestle 8.30am”, the statement reads.

“On arrival, he greeted numerous players and staff. He was available and prepared for the commencement of the scheduled wrestling training at 8.30am.

“After completing the scheduled wrestling training (which was undertaken by all players in the Bulldogs player roster present over an hour and a half) from approximately 8.30am until 10.00am, the second defendant (Touma) directed the plaintiff (Topine), as a condition of his employment, to engage in individual wrestling match-ups with between 30 to 35 players in the Bulldogs NRL Player Roster (the “wrestling direction”).”

Topine was one of the Bulldogs’ most promising young players prior to the incident which has now seemingly cost him his place at the club. According to the NRL website he is still contracted to the club for this season but he has been removed from the Bulldogs’ website.

Revelations that he has commenced court proceedings against the club shape as a significant setback for coach Cameron Ciraldo as he looks to maintain the club’s promising form this season - they have won three of their opening seven games and thrashed the Newcastle Knights last weekend.

The Bulldogs have the bye this week but they now face disturbing allegations in relation to a story that was first revealed by this masthead nearly eight months ago.

At the time, Bulldogs head of football Phil Gould was dismissive of the claims and club officials privately downplayed allegations that Topine had been treated poorly.
“Has there been a group of players who approach the club dissatisfied with culture or other matters? No, that hasn’t happened, never at any time …“ Gould said on his own podcast, Six Tackles with Gus last year.

“But we’re strongly in support of the standards that we’re trying to enforce at the club and the culture that we’re trying to create and turning around what’s been a very poor last decade for the Bulldogs and that will take time.”

Ciraldo also defended the club’s systems when the story broke last year.

“We’ve gone through a range of different ways of talking about holding standards,” Ciraldo said.

“Some of that’s been monetary related, some of it’s been spinning a wheel and then some of that’s been trying to find ways to change behaviours.
“The reality is we need to change behaviours here, and I think we’ve done a good job of that throughout the season. And I feel really sorry for the fans that we are where we are. It doesn’t seem like we’ve taken steps forward this year on the same wins as last year.

“We definitely haven’t taken steps back.”

Ciraldo and Gould are likely to be central figures in the court battle given they have presided over the club and the renovation of its culture.

The Bulldogs told The Australian that they take mental health very seriously but would not provide responses to specific questions.

“Our club will not be providing responses to the questions below as requested … but will say that there are a number of allegations that we categorically deny,” a Bulldogs spokeswoman wrote.

“Some of the questioning … relates specifically to employees or their contracts and as with all employee matters, these are strictly confidential in nature … We also take player welfare very seriously and place the best interests and welfare of our players and staff as our number one priority.

“As we do take mental health concerns very seriously and given the appropriate sensitivities that should be applied in matters concerning mental health, the club will not be making any comment at this time on any of the individuals at the centre of the allegations.”
If you replace the word Mast with the word Dick, it makes the article easier to read.
Suk it dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back