Jayden "Bud" Sullivan #278

In my experience coaches almost always explain why they go a certain way in player selections to the team (though not always directly). Typically it is discussed as part of the video sessions and game planning, particularly when it is a key position player.
That doesn't happen!

The video session after the Canberra game he will explain why Bud was pulled - but not discuss selections with the team!

That doesn't happen!

The video session after the Canberra game he will explain why Bud was pulled - but not discuss selections with the team!
I agree they don't have open discussions with the team regarding selections. But they do have constant messages about what they want a player/position to deliver. They then pick the team based on who best delivered that in preseason. They then do a pregame video session where they gameplan and again outline what they want a player to deliver before going out and practicing what was discussed in that pregame meeting.
So no a coach does not discuss selections or outline individual decisions simply as I had originally quoted but that message can certainly be strongly implied depending on what was said in all of the above.

Absolute BS!!

Sullivan was there because Sezer had not trained with the team for a fortnight - and Sezer was still retained on the bench despite the lack of training.

Bennett picked O'Sullivan at 7 in Rd.1 - only to change his mind for Rd.2 after a poor loss!

Benji may be a rookie - but he is the head coach and has the entitlement to make changes on a weekly basis if necessary when players do not meet expectations!
Maybe Sezer was carrying a niggling injury?

Bud Sullivan should start again next week. It was a lapse in concentration but we got back in the game afterwards.

I say it a lot, but I feel like this team has a history of being over-coached. Over-coached in the sense that coaching becomes so monotonous that the team forgets to concentrate. That's where you see moments like what happened with Sullivan in our last match. You need a senior playing group driving effort and concentration on the pitch as much as the coaches do on the training ground. Let be fair we haven't got that and we haven't for over a decade. Thats just my thesis.

Having said that I think Bud Sullivan gets another run in the side. It'll do him a world of good to have another crack in front of a home crowd. Deserves run in the side and not just a single chance. Take it on the chin and try again.

While Benji has the right to choose whom ever he wants, in this instance, after hooking both Seyfarth and Bud, I believe his hand is forced not to select them.

He would be criticised heavily if he selected them next week and they had similar level games.

Asu Kepaoa earned his spot but Benji must have missed his name or something. Probably an admin error. Expect to see him back this week.
I was surprised he didn’t lead both the backs and the forwards to a huge Magpie win in Reggie’s.

Bud Sullivan should start again next week. It was a lapse in concentration but we got back in the game afterwards.

I say it a lot, but I feel like this team has a history of being over-coached. Over-coached in the sense that coaching becomes so monotonous that the team forgets to concentrate. That's where you see moments like what happened with Sullivan in our last match. You need a senior playing group driving effort and concentration on the pitch as much as the coaches do on the training ground. Let be fair we haven't got that and we haven't for over a decade. Thats just my thesis.

Having said that I think Bud Sullivan gets another run in the side. It'll do him a world of good to have another crack in front of a home crowd. Deserves run in the side and not just a single chance. Take it on the chin and try again.
"Deserves" it based on what? Never mind the lapse in concentration as if it was a single incident, he was woeful the whole time he was out there.

He was almost as bad in the trials. He was worth a shot. Wasn’t worth 4 years
Maybe not H but that’s what he got so now up the coaches to correct his shortcomings and play him wherever is best for the team, not the individual.
And the sooner he reverts to his natural hair colour the smaller the target on him will be !

He had 5 runs in an hour of footy and was woeful in defence. That's an awfully long lapse in concentration or the dude just ain't got it....

He had 5 runs in an hour of footy and was woeful in defence. That's an awfully long lapse in concentration or the dude just ain't got it....
If the coach has no viable option then you have to stick. That was the case last year with Wakeham. There was no one else! Benj has an option for this coming week - Sezar.
He may not be electric or have a great highlight reel, but he won't miss his defensive assignment like Sullivan did and he will be good for Galvin to have alongside him. I'm a bit nervous about this week against the sharks. They have lethal outside backs. It could be an absolute bloodbath if we can't fix the defence out wide.

He should change his name AGAIN to Samson - he’s lost all his strength .. not from cutting but bleaching

Not going to bag him don't have to we all witnessed that he struggled. What happens now has to be what's best for the team and not sure if Bud is, at this point. Benji will have to make the call rightly or wrongly but it's not rocket science to see that there is a long way to go before anyone can be confident in Sullivan.
Maybe if the rest turned up and had a real crack from the kick off, we could then make a fairer assessment
He went missing big time but so did most of them

Spoiled for halves this year albeit not much game experience outside of Sezer, but can't wait until the season is gone for the halves to click. Prefer the approach of changing it up early.

Looks an ideal 14 in this team tbh. Defensive liability his entire career but a live wire off the bench. Can’t see him in the team next year. Contract was poor made zero sense with Latu, Galvin and Luai.

Back