John Bateman #268

I mean, I thought we had it made with him gone this year.
Bloody hell, you actually thought in a team sport getting rid of just 1 of the worst NRL players to have ever played the game would turn the franchise around this year? The Tigers have to shell about 8 more players to make a difference.

Bloody hell, you actually thought in a team sport getting rid of just 1 of the worst NRL players to have ever played the game would turn the franchise around this year? The Tigers have to shell about 8 more players to make a difference.
I definitely did not think that.

I'm in total disagreement regarding our attack I'm afraid. I think Bateman in the middle is really making life tough for our halves. His link play is shocking. It's so slow, predictable and his passes are clunky, often landing slightly behind the target rather then in front so the player can run on to it.

When you look at Bateman, on paper his skillset looks tailor made for a modern day lock. High workrate, good leg speed, skillful. However it just hasn't worked out like that for some reason. All the other middles, Pole, Seyfarth, Klemmer, even Twal have shown a better ability to engage the line and link up out the back with the halves. Bateman in the middle is killing our attack.
See, this is correct - move Bula to centre, shuffle Naden to the wing and have Staines outside Olam and AJ on the other side. Papali’i has the work rate of a spud… Klemmer is literally over the hill and the other fella’s can’t count. I’d have Twal start, Pole off the bench into lock and Big Red either gets his role simplified or learns to play effective minutes in cup. Samuela about the one shining light.

Benji needs to keep it at golf.

Last edited by a moderator:
He either plays on an edge or heads back to England. He was the captain on the weekend and his example is garbage. Please head back to UK super league and just worry about doing your job for the team.

I’m a Bateman critic, but I do believe our attack is better with him at 13 as he has demonstrated he can carry the ball at speed and has a nice crisp pass on him.
My issue is him for the full 80mins, our other 13’s are always given good rest periods throughout the game and he should be given the same to maximise his impact.
You are the worst judge of a footballer I've ever seen. I honestly think that you think you're watching soccer.

Big fan of John Bateman. Always gives his best. The same as Api. Agree both should be given breaks during the games for more impact. We can see the boys are putting in the effort but not smooth in attack and it shows. We all know John has a very strong accent and I think it would have been better if Api was questioning Kasey if he had played. A tricky one as John deserved the captaincy but needed another player to put questions to the ref. Can the vice-captain do that if it occurs again. It would have helped us for sure.

Big fan of John Bateman. Always gives his best. The same as Api. Agree both should be given breaks during the games for more impact. We can see the boys are putting in the effort but not smooth in attack and it shows. We all know John has a very strong accent and I think it would have been better if Api was questioning Kasey if he had played. A tricky one as John deserved the captaincy but needed another player to put questions to the ref. Can the vice-captain do that if it occurs again. It would have helped us for sure.
Good idea. Who would you suggest? When I run through the squad a vc/interperator doesn’t squeal ‘pick me’?
Maybe Staines?

I like Bateman but not at 13. In a good side he’d be on the bench covering second row and centre and would be a good option if your down points and need something out of the box. Problem is we’re not a good side. Personally I’d move him to the right side back row and have papalii playing in the middle.

IMO we either play Matamua as our lock or just run with three props and do our best. I’d go the latter as I don’t think matamua is ready but others disagree.

Latest posts

Members online

Back