G
Guest
Guest
Keith Galloway ends Tiger prop curse
Christian Nicolussi
The Daily Telegraph
October 04, 2011 12:00AM
KEITH Galloway has finally ended a 20-year drought to become the first Tigers prop to earn a Kangaroos jumper.
Not since Steve "Blocker" Roach packed down for Australia in 1992 has a Tigers big bopper been required for international duty.
And there will be no shortage of rival forwards in the Four Nations who will dread trying to stop the flame-haired enforcer.
What the Kangaroos lose up front in experience because of injury to veteran Petero Civoniceva they will gain with pure grunt with 26-year-old Galloway.
The man they call "Big Sauce" said he had enjoyed his best season to date with the Tigers and could not wait to slam his giant frame into New Zealand and England, especially teammate and proud Pom Gareth Ellis.
"He's one of the best players I've played with, he's a hard man, but I won't go easy on him - I don't go easy on anybody - and I'm sure he won't be going easy on me," Keith Galloway said.
"I'm super stoked to be there. I was happy with my form this year, I didn't have many injuries and I got through 23 games, which is the most I've played. Consistency-wise it was my best year. "There are some great props in the squad and I'll look forward to playing with them."
Canberra's David Shillington and North Queensland co-captain Matt Scott were also chosen, with Shillington impressed by Kangaroos' newcomer Galloway: "He won't need too much advice, he had a fantastic finish to the season, he's big, he's strong and capable. He'll handle it all just fine," Shillington said.
"We'll definitely miss Petero and his experience. He's also a good fella to have around. Hopefully myself and Matty Scott can fill the void there. We've worked together a fair bit with Queensland and in the Four Nations last year. Now having big Keith there he can get those big metres and big runs."
Galloway said the Kangaroos call-up did little to make up for the Tigers early exit from the finals, and he would "take a premiership before anything else".
"But this is a good surprise after the way we went out (in week two)," Galloway said.
"I'd like to think I'm in that (top bracket of props), now I'm playing at that level I'll get my chance to try and prove it."
Galloway made his first Origin appearance this season and led from the front for the Tigers as they strung together nine straight wins at the back end of the NRL season.
Christian Nicolussi
The Daily Telegraph
October 04, 2011 12:00AM
KEITH Galloway has finally ended a 20-year drought to become the first Tigers prop to earn a Kangaroos jumper.
Not since Steve "Blocker" Roach packed down for Australia in 1992 has a Tigers big bopper been required for international duty.
And there will be no shortage of rival forwards in the Four Nations who will dread trying to stop the flame-haired enforcer.
What the Kangaroos lose up front in experience because of injury to veteran Petero Civoniceva they will gain with pure grunt with 26-year-old Galloway.
The man they call "Big Sauce" said he had enjoyed his best season to date with the Tigers and could not wait to slam his giant frame into New Zealand and England, especially teammate and proud Pom Gareth Ellis.
"He's one of the best players I've played with, he's a hard man, but I won't go easy on him - I don't go easy on anybody - and I'm sure he won't be going easy on me," Keith Galloway said.
"I'm super stoked to be there. I was happy with my form this year, I didn't have many injuries and I got through 23 games, which is the most I've played. Consistency-wise it was my best year. "There are some great props in the squad and I'll look forward to playing with them."
Canberra's David Shillington and North Queensland co-captain Matt Scott were also chosen, with Shillington impressed by Kangaroos' newcomer Galloway: "He won't need too much advice, he had a fantastic finish to the season, he's big, he's strong and capable. He'll handle it all just fine," Shillington said.
"We'll definitely miss Petero and his experience. He's also a good fella to have around. Hopefully myself and Matty Scott can fill the void there. We've worked together a fair bit with Queensland and in the Four Nations last year. Now having big Keith there he can get those big metres and big runs."
Galloway said the Kangaroos call-up did little to make up for the Tigers early exit from the finals, and he would "take a premiership before anything else".
"But this is a good surprise after the way we went out (in week two)," Galloway said.
"I'd like to think I'm in that (top bracket of props), now I'm playing at that level I'll get my chance to try and prove it."
Galloway made his first Origin appearance this season and led from the front for the Tigers as they strung together nine straight wins at the back end of the NRL season.