Kicking crucial tonite

innsaneink

I think we really need to play percentages tonite and I wont be too unhappy if we kick the bugger on the third tackle every set, as long as theyre good kicks and we play it in their territory…just leave it to Farah & Lui...Marshall only when in their 20...therell be lots of errors, best to be down their end when we do

What a load of crap!! Just like everyone was talking crap about grinding it out vs the Warriors.
I stated the WT' should come out and blitz them from the first whistle. And they did.
They racked up a massive scoreline..
Tonight should be played no differently.

Good point Ink, a lot will depend on the kick/chase and forcing an error from the dogs at their own end of the field. The Tigers kicking game has been alright over the last couple of weeks compared to what we've seen so far from them this season. Marshall and Lui may just want to give themselves a bit more depth when kicking because I reckon the dogs will be chasing hard for a chargedown.

@crouching_tiger said:
What a load of crap!! Just like everyone was talking crap about grinding it out vs the Warriors.
I stated the WT' should come out and blitz them from the first whistle. And they did.

yeah…. we should go play razzle dazzle in the pooring rain... against a team that has there back against the wall...you amaze me sometimes ct :unamused:

i think goal kicking is more important…could be close and low scoring and gaol kicking will count for a lot....i wonder if meaney wil kick

yeah I think that would be the only way to go about things really, no flick passes as well!!

@crouching_tiger said:

So you don't think a good consistent kicking game will help the Tigers tonight CT? Seemed to work pretty well for Queensland last week.

@crouching_tiger said:

how is being down 4-6 a few minutes from half-time considered a "blitz"?

I don't disagree with you on the team needing to come out and blow them off the park from the kickoff, but the forwards need to dominate first.

@willow said:
@crouching_tiger said:

So you don't think a good consistent kicking game will help the Tigers tonight CT? Seemed to work pretty well for Queensland last week.

No. Kicking is **not** one of their strengths. **WT need to play to their strengths.**
Don't change your strengths to suit the environment nor the opposition. Especially when the opposition have been demoralised over the past few weeks. Keep them under the pump and crack them. If the Tigers change to suit a grinding match, they will give the Dogs a sniff, and this will suit them perfectly moreso than the Tigers.
WT are well renowned for playing poor teams back into form. That **is** because they change tactics such as this stupid suggestion to play the percentages tonight.
Play the opposition into playing against the unexpected and the WT will come away with an easy victory.
Grind and play safe and the Bulldogs will outplay the Tigers tonight.
No brainer, really..

@innsaneink said:
I think we really need to play percentages tonite and I wont be too unhappy if we kick the bugger on the third tackle every set, as long as theyre good kicks and we play it in their territory…just leave it to Farah & Lui...Marshall only when in their 20...therell be lots of errors, best to be down their end when we do

Ah Percentages….

It works for St George and it worked for many Brisbane and Melbourne Teams over the years. (I think there is a link there somewhere?)

Its somewhat ironic how many of todays footballers dont realise you need to put yourself in a position to win a game, before you can actually win the game...

Lets hope the big boys hit em up and Robbie and Co can assertain good field possession...

@Kul said:
@crouching_tiger said:

how is being down 4-6 a few minutes from half-time considered a "blitz"?

I don't disagree with you on the team needing to come out and blow them off the park from the kickoff, but the forwards need to dominate first.

So you jus think a scoreline is the entire picture for when a team comes out firing?? From the get go the Tigers threw everything they had a the Warriors. That is considered a blitz.
The Warriors were always going to crack at some point regardless of how many minutes into the match they were.

@crouching_tiger said:
@willow said:
@crouching_tiger said:

No. Kicking is **not** one of their strengths. **WT need to play to their strengths.**
Don't change your strengths to suit the environment nor the opposition. Especially when the opposition have been demoralised over the past few weeks. Keep them under the pump and crack them. If the Tigers change to suit a grinding match, they will give the Dogs a sniff, and this will suit them perfectly moreso than the Tigers.
WT are well renowned for playing poor teams back into form. That **is** because they change tactics such as this stupid suggestion to play the percentages tonight.
Play the opposition into playing against the unexpected and the WT will come away with an easy victory.
Grind and play safe and the Bulldogs will outplay the Tigers tonight.
No brainer, really..

I see what you're saying CT, and if it was dry then go for it, but given the conditions, I'm not convinced playing expansively early will work. I think the Tigers would be better suited playing a similar fashion to what they did against the Knights, get some good dummyhalf running going, win the ruck and kick and chase well. The good completion rate that night, combined with good defensive pressure wore the Knights down and the Tigers were able to run away with the match. I think similar tactics tonight will work well if they can control the ball.

Yeah….let's go razzle dazzle from the start....stuff any fundumentals..... :unamused:

Good point Innk....Robbie Lui to step up big time with his looong kicking game...Kicking IS one of his strengths....finds the turf more often than Farah and Marshall combined.....

So more nice big bombs like last week will be a great option in the wet too....

@willow said:
I see what you're saying CT, and if it was dry then go for it, but given the conditions, **I'm not convinced**playing expansively early will work. I think the Tigers would be better suited playing a similar fashion to what they did against the Knights, get some good dummyhalf running going, win the ruck and kick and chase well. The good completion rate that night, combined with good defensive pressure wore the Knights down and the Tigers were able to run away with the match. I think similar tactics tonight will work well if they can control the ball.

So you're not convinced? You're never convinced.
Self doubt will never win a Premiership…

You mention playing the ruck early which is all good, but the longer this drags on, WT's forwards will soften(especially without Galloway still), the Bulldogs will get the upper hand.
The Tigers STILL haven't learnt to grind properly.
Marshall and Farah are **better** dice rollers than percentage players, that what makes them unique and a tough opposition to play against.
Play percentages and you end up like Barrett, Kimmorley and Anasta choking and die wondering...

@crouching_tiger said:
@willow said:
I see what you're saying CT, and if it was dry then go for it, but given the conditions, **I'm not convinced**playing expansively early will work. I think the Tigers would be better suited playing a similar fashion to what they did against the Knights, get some good dummyhalf running going, win the ruck and kick and chase well. The good completion rate that night, combined with good defensive pressure wore the Knights down and the Tigers were able to run away with the match. I think similar tactics tonight will work well if they can control the ball.

So you're not convinced? You're never convinced.
Self doubt will never win a Premiership…

You mention playing the ruck early which is all good, but the longer this drags on, WT's forwards will soften(especially without Galloway still), the Bulldogs will get the upper hand.
The Tigers STILL haven't learnt to grind properly.
Marshall and Farah are **better** dice rollers than percentage players, that what makes them unique and a tough opposition to play against.
Play percentages and you end up like Barrett, Kimmorley and Anasta choking and die wondering...

Not true CT, I am convinced by many things. I'm convinced if the Tigers control the ball better than the Bulldogs, and kick better than them, then they will win. I'm not convinced they will win if they throw the ball around early. They have to establish a platform first. The Tigers didn't establish a platform against the Dogs in round 1 because they didn't hold the ball and spent more time defending than they did attacking, and they played sideways too much when they did have the ball and Benji and Robbie were ordinary as a result.

Back