Laurie Daley wouldn't say no to stepping in as NSW coach

joe_s_magpies

Laurie Daley wouldn't say no to stepping in as NSW Blues coach

June 24, 2010 Laurie Daley is prepared to give up his position as a NSW selector and step up as coach if the NSWRL asks him to try and save the Blues.

Daley has reportedly firmed to be the next man to hold the clipboard for the Blues in a hot field that includes Phil Gould, Ricky Stuart, Steve Folkes, Des Hasler and John Cartwright.

The former NSW captain said he would only accept the honour if he received the blessing of his employer, Fox Sports, who he commentates for during the NRL season.

"Anytime you are invited to do anything for NSW, whether it be cleaning the boots through to a management role to a coaching role, you'd always do it because you're passionate about your state and you want to see them do well," Daley said.

Daley has been a long-time selector for the Blues, but could be under pressure to keep his spot once the NSWRL completes a comprehensive review into its dismal Origin record.

NSW has not won a series for the past five years and there could be sweeping changes as it looks to prise Queensland's grip off the silverware.

Working in Daley's favour is the fact NSW is considering adopting the successful Queensland model and appointing a coach who has no commitments to a NRL club.

The former NSW five-eighth has also completed his coaching apprenticeship after being at the helm of the Country Origin team for the past three seasons for a win, a loss and a draw.

"I really love it (coaching) and I enjoy it but it's different doing it in a one-off situation other than a 365-days-a-year type of role," Daley said.

NSWRL chief executive Geoff Carr wouldn't be drawn on whether he thought Daley was a better chance than others to take the Blues coaching position.

The NSWRL announced that former Sydney Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan – who is a Queenslander -- would conduct the review into the Blues' operations.

"We've got a full review from top to bottom," Carr said.

"The board will discuss that this afternoon to look at all aspects of our Origin preparation, high performance, our elite development.

"That will be presented to the board this afternoon and if they agree to that we will have a blueprint for the future.

"What comes out of that is important first up and after that we'll decide on a coach."

While Carr wouldn't be drawn on who the next NSW coach should be, Roosters captain Braith Anasta said there were several worthy candidates, including Cartwright, Stuart, Gould and Brad Fittler.

Daley hasn't given up hope of preventing a Maroons clean sweep in this year's series and selectors will have their next meeting tomorrow. The team for game three in Sydney will be announced on Monday night.

"We've got to discuss whether we treat this as game one of 2011 or we treat it as last game of 2010 -- do we pick the best team now or the best team of the future?" Daley said.

"I've always thought there's no such thing as a dead rubber in Origin football and you've got to pick a team to win."

This spells bad news for Tigers. If this dropkick gets the job, then forgot about any Tigers players playing origin.

L.Daley…*iss *ff...you have stuffed up the NSW SOO now get lost forever...stick to commentating which you do badly BTW... :laughing: .

How could they even consider him???

He's the face of the selectors in the media and is proven wrong time and time again….embarrassed actually.

Daley would be lucky to remain a selector surely. NSW needs Gould, if they can't jag him they need to start looking outside the square at a Sterling or a Mortimer someone who has the respect of the players and can also get some passion back into the side. It worked for Mal.

You need a coach who can commit full time, not some half baked coach. That has been part of the problem all along

What about someone like Folkes for Coach? Tough bugger who has played for his State, and who's style of coaching would be suited to SOO

I think everyone agrees that he has done a bad job as selector. Everyone also knows the coach has a big say in selections.

So why make this guy the coach and let him keep making the same mistakes that he has in the past?

If Laurie won't say no, can we?

Seriously, it would be better if Kristina Keneally did it…

What about Benny Elias? He always seemed to have plenty of passion for NSW when he played, or would he be too busy with his company?

Ricky Stuart, he's got the passion and he's got runs on the board as a rep coach, it's a no brainer in my opinion.

@Marshall_magic said:
Ricky Stuart, he's got the passion and he's got runs on the board as a rep coach, it's a no brainer in my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got the job. We could do alot worse.

No no no no no NO!

Had enough of this no brained idiot. Id like to win a series in the next 5 years :neutral_face:

@izotope said:
No no no no no NO!

Had enough of this no brained idiot. Id like to win a series in the next 5 years :neutral_face:

Hey atleast he didn't give you a death stare at Sharkies a few years ago after we beat them. He isn't going well with Cronulla Sutherland but I am pretty sure they aren't spending anywhere near the salary cap.

As an older League fan I can still remember when the over rated Daley went off injured and Benny Elias took over the captaincy, it was this that put NSW on the road to dominating QLD in the early 90's, Daley no heart!, no way!.

Latest posts

Back