Lawrence

Eddie

I have not seen any of the last few games. Bearing in mind we have gone on a few rampages im surprised to not see his name on the scoresheet much during this 6 game streak. We have flogged 4 teams during this period. His defence has improved so much, but all those longe range tries he scored in 2007 seem to have gone from his game.

From the live commentary it seems we made 1000 line breaks and long range tries today at Shark Park. Surprised his name isint featuring more with those line breaks or tries. Although 21 tries to TNT indicates Lawrence is doing some great work.

However I would like to see him back to his running best. Not many players with his sort of pace in the open. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are about his form?

He's obviously not 100%, so I'm not too fussed about it.

He'll have a massive year next year though, without a doubt.

I reckon it's fair to say he's probably thrown the last pass for 12 or so of Tuiaki's 21 tries.

He is a vital member of the team. He looks more dangerous today, but it would be nice to see him blow the door handles off someone again ala vs Dragons in 2007, or even vs Slater earlier this year.

after he has come back from his injury, i have noticed that he is not ripping teams apart in attack like he used to. maybe being young n not having a previous injury his building his confidence. the first few weeks leading up to origin, he was breaking tackles and running length of the field to score. now his meters run are down and he is not as threatening in attack.
still, its good to know that we have a speedster out there.
his defence is excellent.

Another point of view would be that he has worked so hard on improving his defence that his attack has suffered as result.
But the fact is that TNT is KILLING it this year, why wouldn't you give him the ball?

A lot of the Tigers backline play involves using their wingers as Tuiaki and Ryan have scored over 30 tries between them this season. Lawrence has definitely been hampered by injury, but the Tigers centres in general have not been put into space with any regularity IMO. Having said this, everyone out there knows how dangerous Lawrence is when he has room to move, so they're definitely doing their best to shut him down. What this does though is give Lawrence the opportunity to put Tuiaki away, which he has done a few times this season.

I'd like him to be getting across the tryline more too, but as long as he's out on the field doing his job, I'll settle for that for now.

Nothing wrong witgh him, his firing IMO.

His D is exceptional and support play to the BIG T man has been great.

We all know Lawrence is more then capable of scoring 5 tries in two games.

Now I might be reaching a bit here but I have a theory about Lawrence and how they have used him this season in attack. Obviously the opposition teams realise how lethal in attack he is from anywhere on the field and as we all know if there is a player in the opposition that is a danger then you watch him and try to double up on him as much as possible.

Now my theory is based around this and the fact that Sheensy knows Chris is going to be targeted in attack and double teamed which then leaves the Flying Brick, TNT, one-on-one with his opposing winger which more often than not results in him running over the top of them for a 4 pointer….as he has done 21 times this season!!

So what does everyone think, am I reaching a bit or does that sound like it could be a reason that Chris hasn’t scored so many tries this year yet his winger outside him is the leading try scorer this season.

I don't care who scores the tries. Chris can serve it up to Tuiaki all day and I will be happy.

@Hbom said:
I don't care who scores the tries. Chris can serve it up to Tuiaki all day and I will be happy.

Exactly, I'd like to see most of the tries scored by the wingers or fullback after brilliant lead up work by the halves and centres. Thats a flowing backline. I see no problem with how Chris is playing.

He is doing a lot of the hard yards and the finishers are getting the glory - in a team sport I'm ok with that.

@beachtiger said:
Now I might be reaching a bit here but I have a theory about Lawrence and how they have used him this season in attack. Obviously the opposition teams realise how lethal in attack he is from anywhere on the field and as we all know if there is a player in the opposition that is a danger then you watch him and try to double up on him as much as possible.

Now my theory is based around this and the fact that Sheensy knows Chris is going to be targeted in attack and double teamed which then leaves the Flying Brick, TNT, one-on-one with his opposing winger which more often than not results in him running over the top of them for a 4 pointer….as he has done 21 times this season!!

So what does everyone think, am I reaching a bit or does that sound like it could be a reason that Chris hasn’t scored so many tries this year yet his winger outside him is the leading try scorer this season.

its a good point, but i think a main thing is that he is only 1 game back from injury….
it wouldnt surprise me at all if he blitzes in the finals...WHEN they make it. : )
also, i agree that with all the tries coming from out wide, it means the backline is doing exactly what they are supposed to.

Lawrence ….Hmmm...The Kid is outstanding....He is only 21 and has established himself as the best young centre in the game IMO.....

Tui has certainly benefited from having Lawry on his inside.....Not a better site in the Game when Marshal drifts looking, probing to have Lawrence there....the opposition certainly have their hands full whether he gets the ball or not....

lawrences speed and footwork have been getting him on the outside of his opposition center, drawing the winger in, for him to put tuiaki away all season. he may have only crossed the line 6 times this year but he has probably been directly involved in 20 tries.

add to this that his defence has improved UNBELIEVABLY (he is now one of the best defensive centers in the comp) and i am very happy with his game.

Members online

Back