Lote Tuqiri thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
My secret life - Lote Tuqiri revealed
By Danny Weidler
**February 2 2003**
For a start, no one pronounces his name correctly. Not the Tuqiri part, but Lote, which is not pronounced Loti. "The correct way to say it is Lortay," he says. "I'm used to it. It's not a big deal at all to me."Since he is looming in rugby union as a massive figure, sure to be talked about this season just as much as Wendell Sailor, Mat Rogers and George Gregan, getting his name right isn't a bad thing to do when you talk to him or about him.
>
Then there was the decision to switch codes.
>
Tuqiri spent plenty of time discussing his plans with Bennett last year when he was trying to make up his mind about his future. He would change his mind several times an hour about what he was going to do, he said. For the first time he has revealed he had an opportunity to stay in rugby league and earn far more than he is making in union. He wouldn't reveal which club he could have played with, but The Sun-Herald has learned the Sharks weighed in with a massive offer just before he switched to rugby.
>
Tuqiri is critical of the NRL's role in his negotiation process.
>
"All I'll say is that I had the opportunity to stay in league," he said. "I couldn't play with the Broncos, where my heart was, and I could have played for a club, made a lot more money, but my heart wasn't going to be in it.
>
**"I am a person who has to believe in something and can't just do it for the money.** >
>
"I was disappointed that certain parties couldn't help the Broncos out. "I know that Wayne Bennett was upset by the process. And Mum and Dad were not that happy that I was going to Sydney. "I could have stayed in league and been comfortable as an inter-national. But ever since I was a kid I wanted to play in a World Cup."
>
full article here…....http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/01/1043804576911.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Found this Article ........when Lortay switched to Union Interesting........

I think he might of changed his tune on the money bit over the years........
 
@TigersFan4Life said:
@TigersFan4Life said:
I predict that this thread will reach 1,000 posts before we even know whether or not Lote has signed with us.

LOL This was said as a joke but 100 more posts and I'll be correct!

The joke is the WestsTigers hanging around waiting for Lote to make up his mind,he hasn't played league in 7 years,yet we are carrying on like he is Thurston or Inglis,tell him he has mucked us around too long and sign Lima.
 
I'd like to thank Anderson for putting himself out there on this thread. Obviously he's hearing something from 'within', and so far his tips have been pretty accurate.

If Lote doesn't sign, and goes back to Union, it's not that big a deal. The Tigers have a strong squad going into next season. As far as I can see, signing Lote doesn't effect the chances of the Tigers grabbing another 'marquee' signing as the Lima signing is dependant on Dallas Johnson leaving Melbourne, not on available funds at WT. So really, Lote signing is just a 'gravy' signing- awesome if it happens, no biggy if it doesn't.

What it all tells me is that Tim Sheens knows he has to deliver this year, and is making an 'all out' effort to put together a winning squad. When you add in Sheens' leak about the Marshall-gate factions inside WT, I wonder if Tim has finally realised that he can't just coast along as the Coach nowadays & needs to produce/save his neck.

That all said, I hope to hear that Lote is at the Tigers next season by the end of the day.
 
The thing that I'm curious about was his twitter entry on Tuesday saying that he was running around in Balmain 'dotting the i's and crossing the t's'. Plus, he has been saying to wait for an annoucement.

Surely he must have signed something then with someone…
 
yeh, getting abit over this whole thing with Lote.

The more I think about him at fullback, the more I don't think it will not work - he hasn't played league in 7 years, positional goal-line defense is where he will be tested, not to mention the speed - or lack of compared to alot of the younger guys.
It's been played out like some big hotshot signing, if he can't produce if he does sign with us, how stupid would it all look :unamused:
 
@Staks said:
I hope this info isn't coming from McDonnell or Elias.

Why's that…..One is the recruitment officer...the other is the bloke supposedly brokering the 3rd Party deals.....

They would Know woundn't they....... 😕
 
Elias loves the club and imo is not a boof head and McDonnell has made some mistakes over the years but knows talent and is also not a boof head!
I dont know why some people bother posting on here!!!
 
Back
Top