Lote Tuqiri thread

@cnx_tigers said:
@southerntiger said:
Those who dont think this deal is basically ironclad obviously have little experience in business affairs. Thats not meant as an insult just a perceived fact. These kind of deals are common place in the business world and the response from both Tuqiri and club suggest, to me anyway, that we have him.

Just wow mate. This is not you delivering potatoes to the local grocery store.Business my arse.

This is a legal quagmire. He can't be registered with the NRL. That means he can't officially be a Wests player until March / May 2010.

So, who pays for him if he breaks his leg in the UK? He can't legally register with the Tigers until he finishes over there. So, who pays the bills? Who pays his salary if he can't play for us until August due to an english rugby injury?

You are dead set kidding linking this to your business experience.

Son this is not a legal quagmire at all. I would love if all my transactions were as simple as this one. Now negotiating a deal in three languages in Beijing - thats getting slightly difficult. :unamused:

@anderson silva said:
BTW just re-read humphreys statement and it is almost like that statement was written by a lawyer, it was a very technical statement and seem to cover WT @sses, so that lotes contract wont be at risk of not being registered when the time comes, like i and many have said just read between the lines and it will all make sense.

Exactly. Nice bit of legal speak in that statement.

@cnx_tigers said:
How do I know all this mate? Because that's what it says. If we do sign him, we can't do anything official, mention him, promote, he won't train with us, he won't come until March next season. What if his Rah Rah team make the finals? They'll likely want him for until May.

It doesn't say that at all…......mate. And you do NOT know. How do you know the Tigers don't have a clause regarding injury? How do you know they don't have an insurance policy against his injury (which is almost standard)? Training starts at Concord in mid Nov, you know he wont be there? You don't think we are getting publicity out of this now? You KNOW when we will be able to announce it? The article CLEARLY STATED, in english, that he wasnt there for the whole season and would be back here for the start of the season, articel states he would be on wing to ease into it.

But apparantly you know..........mate.

Glenn

@innsaneink said:
My god, the pompous patronising is getting a bit over the top. :laughing:

Hope you arent including me in that?

Seems to me the closer this thing pushes to it's conclusion, the more polarised everyone is becoming and the more steadfast they seem to be in their position. It is CLEAR though that this is not going to come to some neat tidy conclusion in the near future.

Could get messy

Glenn

i think it will all end as planned and thats lote playing for WT after a short stint in union, however i do hop that lote doesnt play union and decides to start training with the team in november and this can be all put to rest

@anderson silva said:
i think it will all end as planned and thats lote playing for WT after a short stint in union, however i do hop that lote doesnt play union and decides to start training with the team in november and this can be all put to rest

I for one dont begrudge him a short burst making big bucks in euro union. The guy is taking a MASSIVE hit financially playing for the Tigers for 3 YEARS(!). Let him get a quick splash for the last time he can.

Glenn

Anderson

Mate, it's nothing like the Joey Johns deal. Nothing. Johns was 100% a Knights player who was allowed to go over there for a few games and it was controlled when he came back + missed no games. Lote is a freelancer who is taking the$$$ over there AND cashing in here because he's found a club desperate enough for any type of publicity to accept his terms and be bent over. Marquee players are guys like Hodgo who committ 100% to the footy club. Find me another club whos "marquee" player will be playing english rugby during the pre season.

Look, I am not going to argue with other Tigers fans. Let's hope it works out. Souths have got Sam Burgess for far less and there's a kid who's giving up an easy wicket in the UK to devote himself to proving himself here. Gareth Ellis gave up a lot to do the same. This jersey should mean enough to devote a pre season to. Anyway, most here disagree. Let's hope it works out.

@cnx_tigers said:
Look, I am not going to argue with other Tigers fans. Let's hope it works out. Souths have got Sam Burgess for far less and there's a kid who's giving up an easy wicket in the UK to devote himself to proving himself here.

Based on reports, Burgess is costing Souths more than Lote is costing the Wests Tigers. Burgess is unproven. Lote has at least shown that at one stage he was just about best in the world.

Yet to be seen how much Lote still has in the tank.;

Glenn

@Novocastrian Tiger said:
Ho hum, it will be another 5 months before we sign Tuquiri. Don't worry about the 1000 post mark, this will make the 2000 post mark.

Don't know about 5 months. I'd think as soon as he signs with a union club (for the off season) we'd be free to sign him.

@Yossarian said:
@Novocastrian Tiger said:
Ho hum, it will be another 5 months before we sign Tuquiri. Don't worry about the 1000 post mark, this will make the 2000 post mark.

Don't know about 5 months. I'd think as soon as he signs with a union club (for the off season) we'd be free to sign him.

Thats what i was thinking. Surely its ok if we sign him AFTER he's signed the union contract. But at the end of the day i think its wrong of the club to allow him to do this at all, however, if its only this once and not every off season (which is probably the case due to NRL rules), then i guess i can cop it if we end up getting 3 good years out of him.

I think Lote is going to be under a fair bit of pressure in 2010.

@cnx_tigers said:
Anderson

Mate, it's nothing like the Joey Johns deal. Nothing. Johns was 100% a Knights player who was allowed to go over there for a few games and it was controlled when he came back + missed no games. Lote is a freelancer who is taking the$$$ over there AND cashing in here because he's found a club desperate enough for any type of publicity to accept his terms and be bent over. Marquee players are guys like Hodgo who committ 100% to the footy club. Find me another club whos "marquee" player will be playing english rugby during the pre season.

Look, I am not going to argue with other Tigers fans. Let's hope it works out. Souths have got Sam Burgess for far less and there's a kid who's giving up an easy wicket in the UK to devote himself to proving himself here. Gareth Ellis gave up a lot to do the same. This jersey should mean enough to devote a pre season to. Anyway, most here disagree. Let's hope it works out.

i was just using johns as an example that you dont always have to be gone for an entire season, lote could easily sign a 12 week deal and be back in time to do a months training with the guys and ready for round 1

also i think you will find that johns was off contract with the knights that following year but allowed him to play over seas while still contracted on the provision that he signed a new deal with the knights at the time. it was to allow him to earn more money because the knights couldnt offer him what union could.

Do you remember the whole johns/union debacle?

@Glennb said:
@innsaneink said:
My god, the pompous patronising is getting a bit over the top. :laughing:

Hope you arent including me in that?

Seems to me the closer this thing pushes to it's conclusion, the more polarised everyone is becoming and the more steadfast they seem to be in their position. It is CLEAR though that this is not going to come to some neat tidy conclusion in the near future.

Could get messy

Glenn

No Glenn, present company not included.

While i think he could be good for us on the park and off it, I'm hopeful if he does sign that it will be the beginning/second leg (Ellis the 1st) of a bright new, professional phase of recruitment at WTs which in turn attracts other high profile top quality players to the club.

CNX, fwiw I agree with you…...mate. I wont call you son. :laughing:

Thanks for the info/updates Anderson.

The way I see it they have no choice but to deny, deny, deny until such time as the overseas option is sorted one way or another otherwise NRL/Gallop could refuse to register the contract.

I hope all goes according to plan.

Tuqiri said on Nine news that he hasn't signed. Not sure if that's worth anything.

If it's all done, I don't see the point in saying publicly that you've nit signed and making a point of criticising a journo like Dean Ritchie, who you can be sure will make a point of reacting negatively.

Latest posts

Members online

Back