Lui and Ellis Fitness Tests Tomorrow

Chris

Lui and Ellis to have fitness tests tomorrow. If Ellis passes The Mayor Of Minto is out.

TIGER

I think they should just sit out this week and get themselves right for the business end.

ron_burgandy

yeah but what about the big signing news chris…...

no point playing ellis v the cows however i like the fact that skando wont be there is he does play

G

So if Ellis is passed fit, it essentially means the Tigers will have no genuine props on the bench, unless Payten drops back.

Chris

@ron burgandy said:

no point playing ellis v the cows however i like the fact that skando wont be there is he does play

I didn't say that we were signing anyone I said there was a player movement. I heard and article was coming out about the Tigers releasing someone but it had changed pre-publishing. I mentioned this article to some people before it was released. That's all I'm going to say about this, we dont need another thread hijacked.

Tiger_Watto

@Chris said:
Lui and Ellis to have fitness tests tomorrow. If Ellis passes The Mayor Of Minto is out.

Seriously? I'm not sure if thats a good move considering the form of Fafita in the last 2 games, and Keith is still way under-done…

Sheens knows best...(bet he was kicking himself after watching Junior today)

ron_burgandy

@Chris said:
@ron burgandy said:

I didn't say that we were signing anyone I said there was a player movement. I heard and article was coming out about the Tigers releasing someone but it had changed pre-publishing. I mentioned this article to some people before it was released. That's all I'm going to say about this, we dont need another thread hijacked.

we all read what you wrote…said there was big player movement this week at the tigers then you dissapeared for a few days, dont back flip on it....

anyway to topic at hand i think one wont play and other shouldnt play FWIW

bradexl

@TIGER said:
I think they should just sit out this week and get themselves right for the business end.

Why? If they are deemed fit they should play, and deemed fit they both will…. :wink:

Gobbs

Just hope Lui plays. Wests need Marshall wide as much as possible. Must expose the Nth QLD edges at every opportunity

Snake

Ellis must be rested he is a key for our finals campain.Lui thats Sheens problem he has created this for himself for what 4 yrs now!

citizen_cub

Fortunately, this is probably the best game to have them out, however the fact that Lui hasn't partnered Marshall in the halves for about a month is a worry. We need Lui back on deck for the lead-up to the finals series. Ellis tries his guts out every week, a rest wouldn't do much harm. But anyway, hopefully they both pass their respective fitness tests.

system

Apparantly Moors is still eligible to play. Thabks to the guys & girls at the NSWRL for answering my question on eligibility after a NSW Cup match

G

Ellis a chance for Cowboys clash
DAVID BENIUK
July 18, 2010 - 2:24PM

AAP

English star Gareth Ellis is a chance of making an early return from a groin injury for the Wests Tigers' NRL clash with North Queensland on Monday night.

Ellis suffered the injury two weeks ago against Brisbane and missed last Friday's one-point victory over Gold Coast.

He was slated for a round 20 return but could line up against the Cowboys at Leichhardt Oval after returning to training with the Tigers on Thursday.

"He's a chance to play," Tigers assistant Peter Gentle told reporters on Sunday.

"Someone with his ability you want to monitor, you don't want to bring him back too early.

"If he plays, he will be a hundred per cent.

"We're not in a position where we're going to run him out at 90 per cent or 95 per cent. We're not at that desperate stage yet.

"Hopefully he'll be right."

The Tigers were running a squad of 20 at their final training session, including serial retiree John Skandalis and halfback Robert Lui, who is being nursed back from a knee injury.

Skandalis is almost certain to make his latest NRL comeback from the bench, while a decision will be made on Lui on Monday with his knee still blowing up after each session.

Another fiery clash between the 2005 grand final combatants is on the cards, although public enemy No.1 in Leichhardt, Cowboys' benchman Anthony Watts, will be missing through suspension.

Watts and Tigers skipper Robbie Farah waged a battle throughout last year's clash, also at Leichhardt.

"No Anthony Watts is good for us," Farah said.

"He's been playing good footy for them off the bench and providing them with a lot of spark out of dummy-half so they're going to miss him off the bench and miss his impact."

But Farah said there will still be plenty of feeling between the sides, who last met in Townsville in round five, a 23-16 victory to a Tigers side which lost Tim Moltzen to a season-ending knee injury.

"When you get two teams that have played in a grand final I guess it creates a bit of history and there's always a bit of emotion involved," Farah said.

The disappointing Cowboys have managed just four wins in 2010 and sit only above points-less Melbourne in 15th place on the ladder.

"If you start looking at the ladder and looking at teams behind you and thinking they're sitting 15th so we're going to beat them, I think that's a load of crap," Farah said.

"It's a mystery to me why their performances this year haven't been as good as they should be.

"They're kind of the team you expect to click into gear at any stage."

G

Sheens taking no chances with Lui and Ellis for Cowboys round-up
GLENN JACKSON
July 19, 2010
\
\
\
WESTS TIGERS coach Tim Sheens is set to ignore the claims of returning halfback Robert Lui against North Queensland tonight - persisting with the halves combination of Benji Marshall and Chris Lawrence, which has given the team consecutive victories.

However, Sheens is likely to call on John Skandalis, bringing the forward out of NRL retirement for the second time in two seasons.

Lui has been keen to return from a knee injury and, while the half appears physically ready to return, it's believed Sheens would prefer to give the youngster another week to fully recover, given Marshall and Lawrence have performed well in the Tigers' past two matches. Lui may play in the Toyota Cup.

The significance of Skandalis's return is highlighted by the fact he is the Toyota Cup conditioner.

Sheens brought Skandalis out of retirement to give his squad some experience midway through last season, after which he retired to take charge of the youth squad's conditioning. But Sheens had a contract registered in recent weeks after Skandalis put together some impressive performances for the Western Suburbs NSW Cup squad. While the 34-year-old played on after his comeback last year, the coach expects him to be producing more of a cameo this time. ''It will only be a short-term thing,'' Sheens said. ''I don't see him replacing youngsters. I just wanted a bit more experience.''

Sheens said fitness would not be a problem for Skandalis, even though he has not played an NRL match all year. ''He's probably fitter than he's ever been,'' Sheens said. ''He's the conditioner for the 20s and he's been training since the pre-season.

''I honestly don't think I've seen John fitter. I'm not saying that he's going to play. We've registered a deal with the NRL. If we use him, we use him, if we don't, we don't. But his experience is certainly handy around the young blokes. Whether he gets on or gets much time, I haven't determined.''

Skandalis may not be called upon if English second-rower Gareth Ellis returns from a groin injury. But Ellis remains an unlikely prospect.

''With someone of his ability, you don't want to bring him back too early. You want to make sure he is 100 per cent, which is what we are doing,'' Tigers assistant coach Peter Gentle said. ''If he does play, he will be 100 per cent.''

With Lui likely to miss out, Lawrence again shifts to five-eighth, with Marshall at halfback. Geoff Daniela will move into the centres, with Mitch Brown promoted from the interchange to starting centre.

Despite the awful form of the Cowboys, Tigers skipper Robbie Farah said his side was not underestimating them.

''If you start looking at the ladder and looking at teams behind you and you are thinking they are sitting in 15th position so we are going to beat them, I think that is a load of crap,'' Farah said. ''You have to prepare for every game like it is going to be another hard game in the NRL because it is. If you don't prepare that way and come out and play that way, you are going to get your pants pulled down.

''We have worked real hard this week on our training to make sure that doesn't happen. The Cowboys have eight or nine representative players. It is a mystery to me why their performances this year haven't been as well as they should be. They are the kind of team who you expect to click into gear at any stage and we are hoping tomorrow night that they wait one more week before they do that.''

Tigerdave

well, we could be looking at yet another heart attack game…...as long as we win I guess, would have been a good opportunity to rack up some points for our for and against though, just can't see it happening now