Luke Brooks #167

The thing that surprises me is a 200 game NRL halfback is wanting to play with someone 'to take the pressure off'. That just seems a really weak mindset. Players like dce, Mitchell, Cleary, luai, Munster, Walker, Walsh, Reynolds seem desperate for the ball and the spotlight, brooks is just not like that. I think he'll find a huge amount of pressure there too. This is the NRL, you can't be scared of pressure.

The other thing that is pretty depressing is his list of highlights he mentioned, with the cowboys game earlier in the year being one of the biggest. He's just done absolutely nothing of note here. Not all his fault, but how strange to have such a barren run and to have so little to show on the field for such a long career...just a few fun regular season wins of no consequence to anything.

Last thing is that brooks comes from a generation of players in Woods, Moses and Tedesco who never had any sense of connection or commitment to the club. That's not necessarily the fault of the players but seeing such apathy from juniors is an interesting shift in the mentality of footballers. I don't like them. Brooks re-signed last time, but with players like Robbie, senter, heigno, Gibbs and even Joe O it felt like there was much greater passion for the club.

Because the club has supported him through thick and thin on huge contracts when he has not even been mediocre. Then he has the hide to act disrespectful and jab the club on his way out. I’m so glad he’s going.

Get rid of Noffa and the last of the old boys club in the team is gone.
Problem is that most of the new boys club isn’t much chop either.

According to some here Brooks is not a good communicator.
Not so.
How could someone in so few words tell us the single most important thing we could do to fix possibly most of our issues?

I’ll put it up here for those who may have missed it..
“I don't know who makes the decisions here, it's hard to say.”

We can only hope our CEO and Chair have taken notice, because during the last 18 months we’ve seen 2 head coaches sacked, and 2 Head of Footy sacked. Somebody is making those decisions. 😂
Thank you Luke!
Unfortunately most times Brooks speaks he comes across as a clod who doesn’t know much about anything, and then provides a bit of a giggle

I thought he was respectful and mindful of not saying too much?
Do we see players at other clubs slamming the door on their way out? We need to ask..why are so many doing it at the mighty tigers?
“Not saying too much”? He’s earnt more than Scrooge McDuck over his tenure here … I’d stitch my lips together if I were in the same boat moo

I too watched and listened to that Brooks interview .. and you know what they say .. if looks like a duck and walks like a duck .. then its a duck .. !! well with Brooksy .. he looked so dumb .. talked like he was dumb .. so that must mean .. he's dumb .. !!

So glad he is leaving now .. Manly can pay overs for another waist of time and space player .. !! Don't let the door hit you on your way out .. Brooksy ..!! .. muppet .. !!
He might be dumb but more so on many many occasions he has displayed a lack of excellence and drive for continuous improvement.

Because the club has supported him through thick and thin on huge contracts when he has not even been mediocre. Then he has the hide to act disrespectful and jab the club on his way out. I’m so glad he’s going.

Get rid of Noffa and the last of the old boys club in the team is gone.
You seriously aren’t defending the club are you? It’s disturbing that you think there isn’t merit in what he’s saying. You should know better chico.

If you are being paid in excess of 1mil by a club for no results - the last two years the worst in clubs history - regardless of what you think of the management you are part of the problem and not the solution. No defence of the management of the club but he of all players has benefited more than any player for consistent failure.

If you are being paid in excess of 1mil by a club for no results - the last two years the worst in clubs history - regardless of what you think of the management you are part of the problem and not the solution. No defence of the management of the club but he of all players has benefited more than any player for consistent failure.
Are you saying that his form was acceptable 3 & 4 years ago when he was being paid half that figure?

Are you saying that his form was acceptable 3 & 4 years ago when he was being paid half that figure?
I'm saying our investment in Luke has been substantial for little result. Of all the people who have failed at this club he is one that has been financially rewarded better than most.

Thats on the club
Yep - so probably should keep that in my mind before taking pot shots on the way out. Can think of a myriad of reasons to bag the management of the club, but Brooks having a crack on the way out given the way they have continually backed him is a bit hard to cop from where I sit..

Last edited:
I'm saying our investment in Luke has been substantial for little result. Of all the people who have failed at this club he is one that has been financially rewarded better than most.
understandable.
Who gave him that money and rationed his Gatorade?

I doubt they stump up $3m for a Blacktown half. No..he’s the DCE replacement. The Brooks they signed was the one we saw in round 9 against the Panthers, and again a couple of games later another master class against Cowboys for his 200th, to show Manly he’s worth the money. I absolutely hate our players joining other clubs and playing better. The club needs to put a stop to it.
They have. 5/8 at $ 800 k on the bench and over weight , same one Benji said no to

Yep - so probably should keep that in my mind before taking pot shots on the way out. Can think of a myriad of reasons to bag the management of the club backing Brooks in more ways than one is not one of them.
It’s probably liberating for him to be able to speak his mind about how second rate our club operates. For once, play the ball and not the man. We’re where we are for a reason after all. How can it not be taken at face value. Our last captain spent his entire time here fawning over his previous club, another was spotted partying in the same club’s jersey after they won the comp. The players don’t respect the club. Its easy to bag the players for these things, and it might be acceptable if it was a one off, but it’s a pattern with this club.

Multiple coaches - yep
Don't really know who makes the decisions here - yep
Always something going on here - yep

Would anyone seriously argue with that?

Instead of having a crack at Brooks, those statements should send a shiver up the spine of any supporter that wants this club to turn things around.
I'm just trying to think of the last player that left Wests Tigers and gushed about the professionalism of the place and the great systems we have. In the last decade this club has descended into nothing more than a meme. Brooks has been a part of that, no doubt whatsoever, but he is not the one running the place and the moment he walks out the door the same jokers who have been in charge, still will be. Let that sink in.

The only hope and its a hail mary, is Benji can do what numerous coaches before him have been unable to do, swim while having a couple of concrete blocks attached to his feet. (I'm talking about ones not named Brooks)

Last edited:
It’s probably liberating for him to be able to speak his mind about how second rate our club operates. For once, play the ball and not the man. We’re where we are for a reason after all. How can it not be taken at face value. Our last captain spent his entire time here fawning over his previous club, another was spotted partying in the same club’s jersey after they won the comp. The players don’t respect the club. Its easy to bag the players for these things, and it might be acceptable if it was a one off, but it’s a pattern with this club.
I'd rather listen to the current captain who has done it all and is busting his arse to find a solution than the player who has been backed to the hilt by club and coaches, been agitating to get out and now has found his voice.

I'd rather listen to the current captain who has done it all and is busting his arse to find a solution than the player who has been backed to the hilt by club and coaches, been agitating to get out and now has found his voice.
Been agitating to get out? Since when?

Can you believe that we’re now at a point where all his bashers who wanted him gone years ago are now burned by his disloyalty? You can be burned by disloyalty if you held that person dear.

Been agitating to get out? Since when?

Can you believe that we’re now at a point where all his bashers who wanted him gone years ago are now burned by his disloyalty? You can be burned by disloyalty if you held that person dear.
Adam O Brien stated that they thought they had Brooks this season when they looking for 7 - do you think he dreamed it?
Can understand why Brooks wants out and think it's the best thing for both club and player. The club for all their stuff ups have backed Brooks - not the case with some fans- and if he had any self awareness he would consider that before taking pot shots.

Back