Mark Flanagan

Tigerstripes

When he first came to the club, I didn't see anything notable about Mark Flanagan, but thought it would take him some time to settle in. But it's now round 12, and to be honest, I'm really not seeing it.

What does Flanagan actually bring to the table?
Is it size? No, he is small
Is it speed? No, he's not notably quick
Is it aggression? Haven't seen any
Is it ballplaying? Havent seen that
Is it offloading? Havent seen that either

Flanagan seems to be too small- he's get dominated in tackles continually. I am really not seeing what this guy brings to our team so perhaps someone can enlighten me. Perhaps it is workrate? Is he one of those workhorse type players that every side needs? Perhaps someone with access to some stats can let me know

Because if there are younger forwards with more size, aggression and skill than Flanagan, then they deserve a go

He wasn't being dominated by the Warriors big forward pack…plus he can pass and is a very good one on one defender....and excells at what the poms call marker tackles....

Flanagan is not an impact player, but he is a pretty good defender - the only notable miss I have seen from him was a one on one miss against Luke Lewis which Penrith scored from. He is a good support player, has a decent passing game. He's similar to Fulton in a few ways, bashing it up the middle isn't his go even though he will do it, and while Liam is injured I can see a place in FG for him. Not sure whether it will be the same case next year but Flanagan has done his job so far IMO.

Hes not a spectacular player but hes someone who I am more then happy to have in my team. Hes a hard worker and a very strong defender. IMO he is a Liam Fulton type player, nothing special but gets the job done.. someone every team needs.

@Tigerstripes said:
When he first came to the club, I didn't see anything notable about Mark Flanagan, but thought it would take him some time to settle in. But it's now round 12, and to be honest, I'm really not seeing it.

Flanagan seems to be too small- he's get dominated in tackles continually. I am really not seeing what this guy brings to our team so perhaps someone can enlighten me. Perhaps it is workrate? Is he one of those workhorse type players that every side needs? Perhaps someone with access to some stats can let me know

Because if there are younger forwards with more size, aggression and skill than Flanagan, then they deserve a go

I think your being too harsh. He;s showed decent ballplaying ability, is quick for a backrower and has basically held his own.
I think he's done better than expected. However, i dont have a place for him in the 17 when everyone is fit. In fact, i think he just misses out now to someone like Mataka or Akeripa but we know that wont happen.

The type of player any NRL team would like an honest worker the type you don't notice until he's not there ,can play long minutes and I can see the improvement every game and is starting to off load..Comes over from ESL and to compete week in week out is a pretty good achievement I like his effort.If he doesn't get a contract with us there should be other offers.

Tigerstripes, I thought your post was a gee-up. He has been a great addition. Good tackler, not slow, can kick goals although hasnt been asked as yet, plenty of ticker. He has done a whole lot better than 75% of that team.

I see where your coming from. Mark has been an important brick this year, helping us to find our feet and battle through some rough periods. He gives his all every week, even though he isnt a superstar. He is the Billy Moore/Gary Larson style player that North Sydney had in the 90's. Plays good football from round 1 to 26, and gets the team into the Finals.

Coming into the back end of the year, and if we have a full squad available, I'd say Mark will need to step up further to justify his position ahead of Fulton and Dwyer…

@Tigerstripes said:

Agree with you on all fronts.

In short, he offers the team nothing and feel a player such as Mataka would be far more benefital the team on all those points you mentioned. (apart from maybe the speed factor- which I will give to Flanagan)

I am quite dumbfounded by his continual selection.

I think he is a great player. He'd be one of the first players i'd pick in the team.

I rate him,he should be our 14 when everyone is fit,not Fitzy or Brown.

Good solid player with a little bit of skill.

Personally I think we would be better served trying to choose a pack of forwards that can bust the line. Ellis & Heighno have to be in the backrow. You could also add Payten there to give us some size and defence.

After that how many workers do you really need. I don't think we really need any as Ellis and Rhino work pretty hard. I'd be looking for impact in the form of Dwyer, Jason Schrinack and Mataka. Fulton is a good player who can run a good line, defends well and can ball play a little - its your pick if you want him or Flanagan or neither of them in our top squad.

@Tigerstripes said:

Not sure which Mark Flanagan you have been watching but he has since his first game displayed all those attributes. A kid who has taken the opportunity with both hands.

@IronTiger said:
Not sure which Mark Flanagan you have been watching but he has since his first game displayed all those attributes. A kid who has taken the opportunity with both hands

Past that he only played what 10 games in the ESL? Comes to the NRL and was never considered to start the season, but managed to impress the coaching staff in the off-season and has since gotten better week in, week out. I seriously believe he will be apart of this Tigers teams long term future.

Latest posts

Members online

Back