Marshall calls for Wests Tigers fans to get behind the team

G

Benji Marshall calls for Wests Tigers fans to get behind the team on Friday night
By Dean Ritchie From: The Daily Telegraph August 19, 2009 12:00AM

NRL superstar Benji Marshall has issued a passionate plea to Wests Tigers supporters not to abandon his high-flying side for Friday night's blockbuster against Parramatta at the SFS.

Ticket sales continue to surge for the match with SCG Trust officials expecting a crowd of 30,000 for the vital game between Sydney's two in-form clubs.

However, indications are that Parramatta fans are snapping up tickets in a 2:1 ratio over Tigers supporters and Wests Tigers officials admit privately they would be embarrassed if significantly outnumbered at a home game.

Marshall yesterday called on Tigers fans to match and better the support from Parramatta.

"I know, as a player, we would hate to run out on Friday night at a home game and see a sea of blue and gold," Marshall said.

"It's going to be a massive game, our biggest of the year.

"We need all the support we can get. I know the players want to see black, white and gold everywhere.

"It's our home game and we don't want to be outnumbered in the stands."

In the past seven weeks, the Tigers have won six from six to be the best-performing side, while Parramatta have won five from their past seven.

But the Tigers do not have a great head-to-head record against Parramatta, winning only five of 19 games. The Tigers and Parramatta have never met at the SFS.

"That is a call to arms for all Tigers fans," Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys said. "I applaud the Parramatta fans for getting their tickets early. If there are any Tigers fans in doubt about going, we urge you to turn up. Ticket sales have been fantastic and that is indicative of what will be a strong crowd."

Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne applauded his loyal fans.

"A big part of our recent success has been the support of our fans," he said.

<big>Comon Tigers fans…get out to the game this Friday night!..bring your friends, bring your neighbours, bring everyone(except Eels fans)...support our team in the biggest game of the year(so far)!.</big>

Most of the parra fans are bandwagon supporters who are only going to the games because they are winning. Where were they when things wern't going good at all.

They are the most fickle supporters in the NRL.

It would be great to see a heap of Tigers colours out there.

Even if Parra get good numbers to the game I am sure they will be lost without their piped Parra chant coming from the PA

I would love for the club to get over 30,000 fans for this game….but like that Dragons game at the SFS on a Friday night as well, I think the Marketing dept and media are pumping up the figures again....I sure Dean Ritchie works for the WT Marketing dept now.

Parra fans are a fickle bunch. They'd sell out Parra Stadium this week if playing there, if they lost their next 2 games there'd be 6,000 there. Perhaps the league best example of bandwagoners they are.

Parra fans don't like to venture east of ANZAC parade,I'm not complaining!

@Tigerpete said:
Parra fans are a fickle bunch. They'd sell out Parra Stadium this week if playing there, if they lost their next 2 games there'd be 6,000 there. Perhaps the league best example of bandwagoners they are.

I'd say Souths have them covered. When they're winning every second person is a Souths fan but when they are losing they get nobody to the game.

If many of the tickets are purchased on Tiketek how would they know who the purchasers are supporting?
Tigers fans are not small in presence or voice.
I think this is a beat up.

thats what i was thinking, how do they know whos buying the tickets? im sure there are plenty of tigers fans who live in and around the parra area. i live smack bang in the st george area and have supported the tigers before i was born.
if it makes the tigers fans stand up n take notice and get down to the game then im not complaining.
what will be a disaster is if their chant drowns us out all game. just like the dragons and bulldogs crowd did to us earlier this season.
there will be 30,000+ and we need to have at least 20,000 of that figure.

this game is really getting a pump up …in the city yesterday there was a bunch of motorcycles with trailer billboards and a pic of robbie promoting the game ....
i just have one question ... how do they know that parra fans are buying at a 2 to 1ratio ?
remember back in 95 we were told most of our fans live in the parramatta area ...lol...

@Torbizlo said:
thats what i was thinking, how do they know whos buying the tickets? im sure there are plenty of tigers fans who live in and around the parra area. i live smack bang in the st george area and have supported the tigers before i was born.
if it makes the tigers fans stand up n take notice and get down to the game then im not complaining.
what will be a disaster is if their chant drowns us out all game. just like the dragons and bulldogs crowd did to us earlier this season.
there will be 30,000+ and we need to have at least 20,000 of that figure.

we play well then the parra fans will be very quiet ….remember the saints 05 game ... we were outnumbered 3 to 1 ....but anyone who was there will tell you who was the loudest ......

Back