Marshall returns fire at ‘lucky’ claim

G

Marshall returns fire at ‘lucky’ claim
Greg Prichard | August 5, 2009

THE war of words between Wests Tigers and Manly continued yesterday, with Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall hitting back at the suggestion by Sea Eagles second-rower Anthony Watmough that the Tigers got lucky in Monday night’s thriller.

Watmough, when interviewed on the field by Fox Sports straight after the Tigers had won 19-18 at the SFS, said: ‘‘It came down to two 80-metre, 90-metre tries they scored. If it wasn’t for that, [and] the bounce of the ball goes our way, it’s a different game. But that’s footy and they got all the luck, and we had to work hard for what we did.

‘‘It’s a credit to our boys, we really stuck in there. I’m not going to take anything away from them, but we really dug deep when things were going against us,’’ he said.

The Tigers gathered for a recovery session at Enfield pool yesterday and their star players said the win was as well deserved as any of the four in a row they had recorded to revive their hopes of making the finals. The Tigers are ninth, two points outside of the top eight.

‘‘Yeah, I heard that,’’ Marshall said of Watmough’s comments. ‘‘He’s entitled to say what he wants, he was the best player with the comeback that they had, but it was no fluke that we won. We were leading 18-0 in the first half and football’s football, you’ve got to take every opportunity as it comes.

‘‘You’ve still got to defend the next set or hold teams out. In the end we could have let it go, but we held on and got the win and got the two points we needed. You have to make your own luck and he knows enough about football to know you need a bit of luck and to play well, and we did play well.

‘‘In the first half we played some of the best football we’ve played and in the second half we knew they were going to come back. They’re a great team, but we held them out and we deserved that win as much as any of the four we’ve had in a row.’’

Hooker and captain Robbie Farah added: ‘‘First half, we were the better side. We defended well and even though they made a few line breaks our scramble was great. I thought, counterattack-wise, we blew them off the park with our counterattack.

‘‘He’s probably right [that] in the second half they came home the stronger and we probably put the cue in the rack there a bit. Credit to them, but they had their chances to win the game in the end. I thought we deserved to win, especially the way we started.

‘‘It was a big game for both teams and I thought our first 50 to 60 minutes was great. Even at the start of the second half we were kicking to the corners, making them go the length of the field. In the last 20 minutes I thought we probably panicked a bit, but we held on in the end.’’

Tigers second-rower Gareth Ellis said the team’s veteran coach, Tim Sheens, was good at keeping things calm and ensuring the Tigers don’t get overexcited as they bid to continue their late-season run all the way to the finals.

‘‘Tim offers perspective and that’s the key,’’ Ellis said. ‘‘We’re nowhere near there yet. We’ve put ourselves in the position where every week now is a bit of a grand final for us. We’re out of the eight still, so we need to keep winning and take each game as it comes.

‘‘We’ve got the Roosters this week and they’re playing for their pride. That’s a dangerous team to be playing against.’’

The last-placed Roosters will host the Tigers at the SFS on Sunday and Farah said people who thought this would be an easier game for the Tigers didn’t see the Roosters beat Newcastle last weekend.

‘‘I thought they were awesome against the Knights,’’ he said. ‘‘It’s going to be a tough one for us. They don’t want to run last, they’re playing for their coach, Brad Fittler, they’re playing for ‘Fitzy’ [Craig Fitzgibbon], who’s going overseas at the end of the year, and they’re playing to impress Brian Smith as well for next year.

‘‘So they’ve got plenty of reasons to play well.’’

Well said Benji perfect response….see Watmough it's not that hard.....it's why we are Wests Tigers and you are silvertail scum ya DNA freak :unamused:

Good on you Benji. I was hoping someone would respond to that mangy maggots comments. :smiley:

Anthony Watmough can play. Jeez he is strong. But look what you have here. A person who verbally abuses a sponsors daughter at the season launch for what she is wearing calling her a $!@& and then punches her father in the mouth when he tries to defend her compared to Benji who is an absolute role model of decency.

If Watmough was at the Wests Tigers he would have been sacked. That is the difference between the two clubs. They keep him and sweep it under the carpet because he is one of their best. Their other gun Brett Stewart has been charged with something alot worse than what Greg Bird was charged with. Birdy got the flick immediately.

Wests/Balmain have always had a great regard for decency and respect off the field. Manly are arrogant. Bozo Fulton, Peter Peters etc etc. Bozo the Clown called us a park footy team when we beat Canberra. I wonder what Bozo is thinking now?.

Do you think anyone linked with the Wests Tigers would ever say that??

The answer is no.

@Balmain Bug said:
Wests/Balmain have always had a great regard for decency and respect off the field. Manly are arrogant. Bozo Fulton, Peter Peters etc etc. Bozo the Clown called us a park footy team when we beat Canberra. I wonder what Bozo is thinking now?.

The answer is no.

Thanks for remindimg me Bug…..He said the H grade Country game Harden v someone put in more than Wests Tigers v Raiders.....

He also said a decent NRL team would have towelled us....guess we haven't played one for a month....

You would think these guys have been around long enough to be very guarded when opening their mouths, all they do is give ammunition to everyone to shoot them down. As I said before, Choc has the IQ of a house brick and the minders at Manly should not let him out of his cage except for 80 minutes a week. Although lets face it Manly thrive on crap from the boardroom down to the cellar

@supercoach said:
Although lets face it Manly thrive on crap from the boardroom down to the cellar

And the dark corners of townhouse estates :slight_smile:

@Balmain Bug said:
Anthony Watmough can play. Jeez he is strong. But look what you have here. A person who verbally abuses a sponsors daughter at the season launch for what she is wearing calling her a $!@& and then punches her father in the mouth when he tries to defend her compared to Benji who is an absolute role model of decency.

If Watmough was at the Wests Tigers he would have been sacked. That is the difference between the two clubs. They keep him and sweep it under the carpet because he is one of their best. Their other gun Brett Stewart has been charged with something alot worse than what Greg Bird was charged with. Birdy got the flick immediately.

The answer is no.

Bug you have just summed up so well everything i have been saying over the past couple of weeks. I was so livid at that clown Fulton calling us a park side and givin gus no credit for the win against the odds. Again here we are winners beating the current holders, i won;t call them champions as they are grubs, and still no one gives us any credit.

@IronTiger said:
@Balmain Bug said:

The answer is no.

Bug you have just summed up so well everything i have been saying over the past couple of weeks. I was so livid at that clown Fulton calling us a park side and givin gus no credit for the win against the odds. Again here we are winners beating the current holders, i won;t call them champions as they are grubs, and still no one gives us any credit.

It all just gives the boys more desire and motivation to get out there and prove these grubs wrong.

The trouble with that manly mob is they dont put their brain in gear before they put there mouth in drive

@tiger jim said:
The trouble with that manly mob is they dont put their brain in gear before they put there mouth in drive

and here i was thinking it was just sawdust in there heads, apparently they do have brains
had me fooled

Latest posts

Back