Marshall's exit has $1m silver lining for Tigers

tigersrule4life

New member
July 20, 2013
Adrian Proszenko and Glenn Jackson

Wests Tigers will have a $1 million war chest to spend on marquee signings for the 2015 season following Benji Marshall's decision to part ways with the club.

Marshall will see out the season with the Tigers but is poised to defect to rugby next year after rejecting a $2.1 million, three-year offer to remain with the club.

Interest in Marshall has extended to elite French rugby - the five-eighth's manager Martin Tauber confirmed he had been contacted by a Top 14 outfit.

''We've had an approach from France, as to whether there's any interest in Benji furthering his career there,'' Tauber said. ''But we've given no commitment to anyone and any discussions are far too early to decide what he's going to do with his career.''

Advertisement

Marshall is still more likely to join one of three Super Rugby outfits to have expressed an interest, NSW, Melbourne or Auckland. Tauber will meet Blues coach John Kirwan and chief executive Andy Dalton on Sunday. Marshall will also consider Japanese rugby, more likely at the end of next year, as part of his switch.

While his departure will be felt on and off the field, the move will provide a clear career path for young halves Luke Brooks and Mitchell Moses, who have been tabled lucrative three-year deals.

Marshall is unlikely to be the only Tigers player released at the end of the season as Joel Reddy, Matt Utai, Matt Groat and Matthew Bell are likely to be playing their final games for the joint-venture club. There is also uncertainty over whether Tim Moltzen will remain, while Lote Tuqiri's future will be determined by how he comes back from a long-term arm injury.

While there are no real superstars left on the open market for next year, Tigers officials, who are contacting managers to obtain future free-agent lists, believe they are well positioned to chase marquee men for 2015.

''The club now has a massive opportunity to invest in our future,'' Tigers chief operating officer Grant Mayer said. ''We are already starting to think about 2015 and marquee players who might be off contract.

''We could potentially have $1 million under the salary cap to spend in 2015\. That would make us a very popular option for a number of marquee players and their managers.''

The Tigers have begun the process of securing their best young talent, having re-signed promising three-quarter Tim Simona for a further two seasons. They have also locked up Fijian flyer Marika Koroibete for next year, recruited Keith Lulia and re-signed under-20s stars Kyle Lovett and Nathan Brown and SG Ball back-rower Matt Woods.

Premiership-winning winger Pat Richards also returns to the club after a stint in Super League.

However, the final pieces in the retention puzzle are outstanding young halves Brooks and Moses.

In his video message on weststigers.com.au, Marshall said his departure would clear the path for their retention.

''As you all know we've got a lot of young up-and-coming halves coming through and with me out of the way it makes it easier to keep Luke Brooks, Mitchell Moses and a few others, young 'Sirro' [Curtis Sironen],'' he said. ''There's a few positives to my decision.''

Mayer said the franchise's youngsters had a clear progression at the club. ''I have got no doubt they will embrace this opportunity with both hands,'' he said.

Friday night's game was Marshall's last at one of the club's spiritual homes, Leichhardt Oval. While there has been debate over whether the dilapidated ground is up to NRL standard, it's understood officials are committed to keep taking a handful of games there every season.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/marshalls-exit-has-1m-silver-lining-for-tigers-20130719-2q9r1.html#ixzz2ZUa29prR
 
Best thing to happen to this club since 2005\. Benjis departure.

All he has done is stolen the salary cap and produced nothing for far to long. Finally the Tigers have a chance to actually buy good playerS not just one over priced ego maniac.
 
@reyre2000 said:
Best thing to happen to this club since 2005\. Benjis departure.

All he has done is stolen the salary cap and produced nothing for far to long. Finally the Tigers have a chance to actually buy good playerS not just one over priced ego maniac.

Bit harsh but totally agree. His era is well and trueley over and out!
 
It might be the first time that we can actually use all of our Salary Cap. How nice will it be to go to the market with money in the bank and you can choose who you want, not who's left over. May just need to hang in there a couple of years.
 
@reyre2000 said:
Best thing to happen to this club since 2005\. Benjis departure.

All he has done is stolen the salary cap and produced nothing for far to long. Finally the Tigers have a chance to actually buy good playerS not just one over priced ego maniac.

What a load of crap. He has been stealing our salary cap because he is an ego maniac? Just plain rubbish.
 
@Shooshmeister said:
It might be the first time that we can actually use all of our Salary Cap. How nice will it be to go to the market with money in the bank and you can choose who you want, not who's left over. May just need to hang in there a couple of years.

There is a silver lining and this ^ is it.
 
We got to aware of the fact that just because we have $$$$$$$$ to buy players for 2015 don't mean we are going to get anyone look at parra plenty of money no one wants to go there sure we ain't like parra but I ain't holding my breath that we will get a super star anytime soon

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_
 

Latest posts

Back
Top