Mavoni Tuifua

I don’t think he’s signed anything yet. That’s not to say he won’t though. I really don’t know. Where’s that guy who has everyone going to the Dogs?

Runs hard, hits hard. Probably will make NRL. But so will Fonua Pole, Sione Tupou and Etu Lui.

@inbenjiwetrust said in [Mavoni Tuifua](/post/1429436) said:
For some strange reason we reject aggressive forwards e.g. N Brown, Paseka, Tatola and keep "pillows forwards".

I’d hardly call Tatola aggressive, he’s a strong worker. Really he’s just Ava Seumanifangi at a good club.

@willow said in [Mavoni Tuifua](/post/1429235) said:
@strongee said in [Mavoni Tuifua](/post/1429107) said:
@willow said in [Mavoni Tuifua](/post/1429046) said:
@jc99 said in [Mavoni Tuifua](/post/1428993) said:
@yeshecheekam said in [Mavoni Tuifua](/post/1428984) said:
@jc99 said in [Mavoni Tuifua](/post/1428962) said:
Fonua Pole and Sione Tupou both ahead of him and were playing reserve grade.

Are they same age group?

Pole is younger I believe - started the year in SG Ball, went into jersey Flegg then started playing NSW Cup, He seems one worth investing in. Tupou started off in Flegg and made it into NSW Cup as well.

This is true, although Mavoni is still a loss - whether he can get his motor up to speed will determine how much of a loss.

Yea , when I saw him play he seemed more of an impact player off the bench . I’m Not sure how valuable that is in today’s NRL.

He does run out of puff quite quickly - he'll give you everything for 10-15 minutes and then he's gassed - from what I've seen this year. He's naturally heavyset too, so fitness for him will be one of those things he has to really stay on top of if he's going to make it in FG.

I'd like to hear something official from either club to put this rumour to bed.

Why did that get downvoted ? With the nrl moving closer to 97 super league than to 80s tackle fests, this seems like basic logic to me .
He’s a big boy . 5 years ago , the whole NRL would be salivating over him . It’s 2021 there may not be a first grade spot for him .
Sometimes sports shift dramatically on a moments notice . Eg NBA . Almost overnight the Shaq type massive unit became unplayable when Steph Curry started dominating .

The same might be happening in NRL with the rule changes .

@strongee said in [Mavoni Tuifua](/post/1429761) said:

Are they same age group?

Pole is younger I believe - started the year in SG Ball, went into jersey Flegg then started playing NSW Cup, He seems one worth investing in. Tupou started off in Flegg and made it into NSW Cup as well.

This is true, although Mavoni is still a loss - whether he can get his motor up to speed will determine how much of a loss.

Yea , when I saw him play he seemed more of an impact player off the bench . I’m Not sure how valuable that is in today’s NRL.

He does run out of puff quite quickly - he'll give you everything for 10-15 minutes and then he's gassed - from what I've seen this year. He's naturally heavyset too, so fitness for him will be one of those things he has to really stay on top of if he's going to make it in FG.

Why did that get downvoted ? With the nrl moving closer to 97 super league than to 80s tackle fests, this seems like basic logic to me .
He’s a big boy . 5 years ago , the whole NRL would be salivating over him . It’s 2021 there may not be a first grade spot for him .
Sometimes sports shift dramatically on a moments notice . Eg NBA . Almost overnight the Shaq type massive unit became unplayable when Steph Curry started dominating .

No idea, some people don't like hearing the truth. I've watched him play in several games this year and it's a simple fact he's gassed after 10-15 minutes and that's the biggest hurdle he will face in taking the next step in his career. I like watching him play, for a front rower he crosses the try line a bit, but to play FG his fitness levels will have to transform completely. Whether he's got the drive to do so, well that's up to him.

I often wonder how some of these kids get through junior levels when they can only play 10 or 15 minutes without collapsing.

Are they same age group?

@TonyTiger seems to have a penchant for downvoting posts for the sake of it.

Brandon Tumeth is one of our best local juniors. Jordan Hill is another.

I've watched Mavoni closely and sure he runs the ball hard but don't the gaps open up in the defensive line when he runs out of steam. Pole and Tupou are great prospects.

@willow said in [Mavoni Tuifua](/post/1429812) said:

Are they same age group?

No idea, some people don't like hearing the truth. I've watched him play in several games this year and it's a simple fact he's gassed after 10-15 minutes and that's the biggest hurdle he will face in taking the next step in his career. I like watching him play, for a front rower he crosses the try line a bit, but to play FG his fitness levels will have to transform completely. Whether he's got the drive to do so, well that's up to him.

Has he played KOE yet?

@thedaboss said in [Mavoni Tuifua](/post/1429850) said:

Are they same age group?

Has he played KOE yet?

He'll never play NRL. Fat, lazy bum.

Are they same age group?

Has he played KOE yet?

1 game I believe, against Norths this year.

@tigerballs said in [Mavoni Tuifua](/post/1429860) said:

Are they same age group?

Has he played KOE yet?

He'll never play NRL. Fat, lazy bum.

Don't water it down.
Tell us what you really think.:grin:

He has potential to be like a Junior Paulo,but looks like he needs a leader to take him under their wing and show him a thing or two about professionalism. Doesn’t have the motor yet but if he is prepared to work on himself eg diet,training and even away from footy stuff he could get there.

@spida said in [Mavoni Tuifua](/post/1432151) said:
He has potential to be like a Junior Paulo,but looks like he needs a leader to take him under their wing and show him a thing or two about professionalism. Doesn’t have the motor yet but if he is prepared to work on himself eg diet,training and even away from footy stuff he could get there.

Very similar build to Paulo and AFB so you are correct - it's tuning up the engine that is going to determine his future prospects.

Sounds like he needs a lot of work to make something of his future, maybe we aren't the club to do that?

@barra said in [Mavoni Tuifua](/post/1432451) said:
Sounds like he needs a lot of work to make something of his future, maybe we aren't the club to do that?

I think we are, it's just that he's built like a tank and hauling that much weight around burns him out. I've seen him up close and I'd wager he's playing at around 120kg, and he's not what you'd call fat, but with the amount of training the Flegg boys do compared to FG, well you can't compare.

If he stays at the club next year, I'd be putting him on a development contract and at least have him training fulltime and playing KOE.

Back