Michael Maguire leaves club

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article is probably garbage.

Sheens did mention something about it recently though... wet cement statement? Something like that.

Probably speculation.
I could see some sense in what Sheens said at the time - But I took it as more to do with rushing him back, Not sitting out a whole season (And 2 pre-seasons)
If Sheens were coaching - He'd be back already.

I think he's already past due isn't he, And been doing contact for some time.
I have a mate in the know, He said 2 weeks after contact - They're back in....
AD has well and truly gone past that.

Yeah, that's clear eh...

Desperate for some wins to save his job.

Sheens probably wants AD ready for next year, ready to partner Jacko in the halves and make a finals run.

There's no one in football that doesn't the players in the team to not have played together going into a season....
If that's the players they want playing together
- They want them doing it as soon as possible to build some momentum and combinations for next season - If nothing else.

especially the case for the spine.

Just persist with AJ at centre for the rest of the year aye or the inept Brooks at 6 ?

10,000 posts a day supporting him will never make it true.

We need AD in the team desperately so he can develope a combo with Hastings and bring some leadership to a weak bunch.
Mate I thought u liked dou? Surprised your happy to finish off his career in nothing games. By the way he won’t be pivot, he will be centre. If brooks goes I reckon madden will be the other half. Brooks has been going pretty well at 5/8 can’t blame him for last weeks, weak performance from the pack..

Sheens wants AD to take the year off and get right... seasons over.

Madge wants him back, as soon as possible.

Madges job is potentially on the line and knows AD brings a lot to the team... desperate for wins.

Assume AD wants to play also.

I wonder if this will cause a serious issue between Timmy and Mikey?

Interesting take to rest him for the season.

Tim Sheens’ review which will decide the fate of Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire remains ongoing but more pressing for the club could be the contentious return of star Adam Doueihi.

Sheens is continuing with the mid-season stocktake into the Tigers fortunes, which will eventually decide if Maguire stays on as coach.

It is expected the Tigers head of football will sit down with Maguire this week to get a gauge on exactly how the season has progressed and if there is any hope the coach can turn the side’s fortunes around.

Sheens commenced his review last week and has already met with some staff.

Those inside the Tigers camp insist nothing was to eventuate this weekend after Maguire and the playing squad returned from a few days break last Friday.

It is understood Sheens’ recommendation will be taken on face value – either Maguire has his support or he does not and the board will act accordingly.

The next scheduled board meeting is towards the end of this month but it is expected the board will convene before then and make a decision on the coach.

There is little doubt there is a push from some at the club for Cameron Ciraldo to be offered the job long-term, despite Maguire having another season left on his deal.

Loading embed...
Ciraldo was spoken about at the end of last season but wanted to focus on Penrith’s premiership quest. There is a suggestion that Ciraldo is considering the job more vigorously this time around but does not want to put his hand up for the position until it is vacant.

If the Tigers part ways with Maguire and Ciraldo opts against taking the position, plan B would be going to market and exploring the potential candidates including Kristian Woolf, John Morris, Shane Flanagan and Brett Hodgson. An interim such as Brett Kimmorely could be put in place for the rest of the season.

The planned return of Doueihi has also caused some angst in the Tigers ranks.

Doueihi has been medically cleared to play his first game of the year against Manly next Sunday.

The plan is for Doueihi to potentially start from the interchange bench, with Maguire and Doueihi keen for the pivot to return to the field as soon as possible.

However, News Corp has learnt there is some resistance from within the club in Doueihi returning as early as round 14. There is a thought that some want him to rehabilitate for the rest of the season to preserve his long-term future.

The 23-year-old is on the comeback trail from a second knee reconstruction on his left knee and has not played since round 23 last year.

Doueihi wants to play five-eighth so it remains to be seen how Maguire will work him into the squad with Jackson Hastings arguably the team’s best player this season at halfback and million-dollar man Luke Brooks shining at five-eighth.

The Tigers have won only three games this season and sit just ahead of Gold Coast and Canterbury on the ladder.

After Manly they have winnable matches against the Bulldogs and Warriors but Maguire’s future is expected to be decided by then.

Thanks 4 posting

Lmfao guess what, we verse the Warriors on the 3rd of July @… you guessed it Mt Smart stadium.. it will be their first game back in NZ in 2 years.
We are going to make them look like minor premiers
Nah, they’ll be too bloated from the Hungi.

If the doctors have passed AD as fit, I think we need him playing asap.

We can’t really take coaching and officials wishes or hunches over the medical advice. It’s those kinds of decisions that are holding the club back.

And I submit it, whether Madge is coaching or not.

We probably need Brooks, Jackson and AD on at the same time.

I wonder what Sean o Sullivan wants?

Because we have a reasonable side next year, that might encourage Brooksy to take a cut. I’ll throw in some tpas.

I’d like to see him stay, but I want some good sense to prevail. Otherwise, we will need to screw Newcastle over pretty badly, like Ponga did. The greed was out of control and will add to their problems.

There’s that view that Ponga hates the tough stuff. A warning to my Queensland chums.

And I think this season, soo will create a lot of injuries and help strugglers like us.

See if I’m right, I’m predicting at least seven injuries of marquee soo over the series of various duration of being stuffed. At least a week to perhaps the season.

I’m drawing on whole injuries for the game to date, add the ferocity, carry the coaches and deduct marquee!

Last edited:
Sheens has been talking about being super cautious about Doueihi for a couple of months. It’s not linked to the club’s current position on the ladder. Although I don’t think he had much hope for success this year from previous comments in the media. He sees a potential third knee reco as a career killer. Not sure who will get their way with this.

Injuries did....
I mean, I was asking were they injured and recovering or were they given an extensive rehab.
Shoulder reconstruction from memory for Marshall, tackling Paul Rahihi early in the season.
Was it an ACL end of 2003 for Robbie?

My Gut feeling is if Cameron C said he wants the job I think Madge would be gone but CC is holding out as he doesn't want to be a Cleary and accept the job and then we sack Madge..
Doesn't want to be that GUY... Which is fair enough in this industry.
Hope Madge stays but unlikely I think

I mean, I was asking were they injured and recovering or were they given an extensive rehab.
Shoulder reconstruction from memory for Marshall, tackling Paul Rahihi early in the season.
Was it an ACL end of 2003 for Robbie?

Yeah - or maybe in the 2004
Trials… while back now!!

Sheens wants AD to take the year off and get right... seasons over.

Madge wants him back, as soon as possible.

Madges job is potentially on the line and knows AD brings a lot to the team... desperate for wins.

Assume AD wants to play also.

I wonder if this will cause a serious issue between Timmy and Mikey?
Not at all. Sheens wants to see how Doueihi fits with the current squad, particularly position wise.

Some believe he is a centre, some believe he is a 5/8 and others a modern 13. He will be back against Manly, worst case the following round against the dogs. It will likely be via the bench (don't be surprised to see him name on the extended bench to come in on game day). He has been training in the middle along with centre.

On another note, Blore is recovering well ahead of schedule which is good news as he will now have a full pre-season.

Fittler leaving the door open in regards the Bulldogs coaching job....Ciraldo is on top of the wish list for the Dogs after spending time with Gould at Penrith...
source Wide World of Sport.....

I reckon Madge stays this year ....Ciraldo to Dogs,Gould will have a big influence on him...I also think that Madge will see out his contract while Sheens and co see whats available for 2024 as far as coaching goes,who knows if Madge gets them firing they may extend him again....none of us know,we can only speculate....

I thought AD was always due back in rounds 10-14?
There’s no need to rush him back, if fit he could come off the bench in the next couple of weeks, to see how he goes. Not sure I like the idea of him running on at 6 or 7? Particularly with a couple of winning games coming up. Our backline has shown some harmonic motion in the last couple of games, changing the pivots would be a risk imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back