Michael Maguire leaves club

Status
Not open for further replies.
ummmmm sure... Lee quotes on the 30th May suggests otherwise:

“So he has found an opportune time in the middle of the year during this two week hiatus to do a little health check and have a look where we are sitting and why are we three from 12 and are we happy about that? No we are not. What do we need to improve? What changes may or may not need to be made?"

“But at the moment we are somewhat disappointed with where we are sitting on the table. Do we need to make some changes? I suspect we do."

“We will leave it to the great man to come back to us. The board puts a lot of stock in Tim Sheens and his recommendations, so we will see what he comes back with.”

This was NOT an announcement. It was a response to a question from Greg Alexander if I recall. Two VERY different things.

Go incognito if it's behind a paywall
I'm asking you if it occurred and where. Where would one start to look? I've never seen anything remotely close.

EDIT: Again, not an announcement, just a response to general media questions.

I don’t think we should all be reading to much into this until there is a direct quote or response from some 1 at the club

Any chance you read that somewhere, I'd be interested in what was said?
“We haven’t had a score put on us until last night,” Sheens told the Herald following the Tigers’ 44-18 loss to the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

“The score last night hurt us after leading at half-time. I know the boys are disappointed. Madge is disappointed. I’m not prepared to make a comment 24 hours later about what we’re going to do or not do.

“There’s always ongoing speculation. I won’t make specific comments on the coach. It is a moment for us to stop and catch our breath and then put forward a recommendation after that. There’s a board meeting next month.

“The questions will come with that about where we are going and what we are doing moving forward. There’ll have to be some recommendations. The bye gives us a chance to stop and reassess without the emotion of it all. This isn’t all aimed at one person, it’s about the club generally.”

“It is the halfway mark and we will be having a look at things,” Sheens said. “With no game on there is plenty of time and less pressure to look at everything including our recruitment, our kids - who are being chased by a million clubs - and what we do with guys like Adam Doueihi and Jackson Hastings.”

“It’s not the defining moment but it’s a chance for us a catch our breath and have a look at things. There’s no doubt with Madge being under the pump last year, those sorts of things have been discussed. There’s no major decisions being made at this stage.”

But Sheens stressed the focus would be across the whole club, including player recruitment for next season, injuries, junior retention and long-term negotiations.

"This is the stuff we are talking about, not a witch hunt," Sheens told AAP.

"Of course coaching will be looked at. As in where we are going for the rest of the season, what's our issues with recruitment and injuries.

"Coaching isn't specifically the coach, it's about coaching generally.

"It's about who we are keeping, who we are not.

"We're also talking about ongoing recruitment from the end of next year with Jackson Hastings, Adam Doueihi and Daine Laurie."

"At the end of the day Madge is buying for next year, so we have to sit down and talk about who we keep," Sheens said.

"There are players off contract. (James) Tamou, (Jock) Madden, (Tommy) Talau.

"There are hookers we have to sort out with Api (Koroisau) coming."

I don't think anyone is denying a 'review', which was always happening. Not just as a response to the first half of the year.

But yo suggest the club came out with some big announcement is complete BS. I guarantee if the media didn't ask, you would probably not even k ow it existed.

I don't think anyone is denying a 'review', which was always happening. Not just as a response to the first half of the year.

But yo suggest the club came out with some big announcement is complete BS. I guarantee if the media didn't ask, you would probably not even k ow it existed.
Exactly, it was good business to discuss how we are going, nothing more!

Might be wrong the response in the media from Sheens was instigated due to Kent and Rothfield virtually announcing that Maguire was gone.

“We haven’t had a score put on us until last night,” Sheens told the Herald following the Tigers’ 44-18 loss to the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

“The score last night hurt us after leading at half-time. I know the boys are disappointed. Madge is disappointed. I’m not prepared to make a comment 24 hours later about what we’re going to do or not do.

“There’s always ongoing speculation. I won’t make specific comments on the coach. It is a moment for us to stop and catch our breath and then put forward a recommendation after that. There’s a board meeting next month.

“The questions will come with that about where we are going and what we are doing moving forward. There’ll have to be some recommendations. The bye gives us a chance to stop and reassess without the emotion of it all. This isn’t all aimed at one person, it’s about the club generally.”

“It is the halfway mark and we will be having a look at things,” Sheens said. “With no game on there is plenty of time and less pressure to look at everything including our recruitment, our kids - who are being chased by a million clubs - and what we do with guys like Adam Doueihi and Jackson Hastings.”

“It’s not the defining moment but it’s a chance for us a catch our breath and have a look at things. There’s no doubt with Madge being under the pump last year, those sorts of things have been discussed. There’s no major decisions being made at this stage.”

But Sheens stressed the focus would be across the whole club, including player recruitment for next season, injuries, junior retention and long-term negotiations.

"This is the stuff we are talking about, not a witch hunt," Sheens told AAP.

"Of course coaching will be looked at. As in where we are going for the rest of the season, what's our issues with recruitment and injuries.

"Coaching isn't specifically the coach, it's about coaching generally.

"It's about who we are keeping, who we are not.

"We're also talking about ongoing recruitment from the end of next year with Jackson Hastings, Adam Doueihi and Daine Laurie."

"At the end of the day Madge is buying for next year, so we have to sit down and talk about who we keep," Sheens said.

"There are players off contract. (James) Tamou, (Jock) Madden, (Tommy) Talau.

"There are hookers we have to sort out with Api (Koroisau) coming."

That's a scary thought

No they don't...
Brent Read said it on 360 weeks ago...
They'd been discussing it on 360 longer than 7 days ago.

Lee said that in direct response to a question asked about it - Which in itself suggests it was already Media Fodder

LOL sure.... How does that change what Lee said less than a week ago?

One hand you don't believe anything the media say, then on the other you do to support your narrative even when it's against what our club chief says.

Lee clearly said 3 things, less than a week ago which implies you're wrong which was:

1) Club isn't happy with the way things are going
2) He thinks changes need to be made, as to what lets see what Sheens comes back with
3) Sheens is doing a "little health" check over the 2 weeks and will come back to the board

A health check will never go to the board with findings if it wasn't asked by the board.

Might be wrong the response in the media from Sheens was instigated due to Kent and Rothfield virtually announcing that Maguire was gone.
Glad to see those two knobheads got it wrong. Happy to give Madge the rest of the year before another end of season review. Hopefully we have won a few more games to inevitably finish out of the eight.

This was NOT an announcement. It was a response to a question from Greg Alexander if I recall. Two VERY different things.

Reviewing the media releases on the Wests Tigers website and we didn't provide an announcement for the review last year until we provided a media release of Madge and Millard's outcome.

Lee could've said no comment end of conversation. Instead as the chief of the club he used the media & as the club's representative to provide an somewhat detailed update. In this day and age that's an announcement.

It's no different to Gould saying something on Twitter or 9 about the Bulldogs. It might not be a conventional statement but it's a statement of fact & sets expectations.

LOL sure.... How does that change what Lee said less than a week ago?

One hand you don't believe anything the media say, then on the other you do to support your narrative even when it's against what our club chief says.

Lee clearly said 3 things, less than a week ago which implies you're wrong which was:

1) Club isn't happy with the way things are going
2) He thinks changes need to be made, as to what lets see what Sheens comes back with
3) Sheens is doing a "little health" check over the 2 weeks and will come back to the board

A health check will never go to the board with findings if it wasn't asked by the board.

Fantastic!! - Another ****!!

I said the club didn't announce it...
I heard Lee's comment live on it.

They confirmed it - And discussed it - When asked about it.
But it was in the media to be happening well before anyone from the club made any comment (Announcement) on it.
The media announced it!!
We were talking about it here before your time stamped quotes from the club.

Find me the Club "Announcement" on it...
You know - The bit where they gathered everyone in and said
"We've bought you all here to make an announcement"
Or the email - Or the club statement...

NADA!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Exactly!! An announcement is when someone is bringing information to light....
Not when someone is confirming something that has been common knowledge for weeks... 😂😂

Tigers believe an improved performance over the weekend vs the bye which has seen them move up to 13th from 15th is a positive sign and have decided to keep Madge

Game report

The Tigers come out to a good lead against the buy but then conditions got tough and it was a close game. Eventually they kick a field goal after Jackson Hastings touched the ball a hundred and fifty times and virtually told each player what to do play by play. The boys came away with the 2 points.

Unfortunately we play a team who run hard next week and the boys don't like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back