MLB World Series

happy_tiger

Exciting times for Atlanta Braves fans

1st World Series since 1999

Unfortunately we have been the Collingwood of the MLB ...finding ways to snatch defeats from the jaws of victory in a few World Series with one of the greatest group of pitchers ever with Glavine ,Smoltz and Maddux

Won't be easy v Houston ...tough side

Yanks are like Queenslanders.. A sport ⚾️ played in their own Country called a World Series..

@geo said in [MLB World Series](/post/1497638) said:
Yanks are like Queenslanders.. A sport ⚾️ played in their own Country called a World Series..

The best players in the world are all playing .....much different from the World Club Challenge ????

I want to keep hating the cheating astros, but
a) I'm a pirates fan so wasn't my team they duped
b) I like dusty baker, wouldn't mind seeing him finally manage a WS win.
Neither team has lights out starting pitching,
feel like it's going to be Braves bullpens ability to contain all those Houston bats
as I'm not sure Braves can straight outslug Houston especially when they will have DH for up to 4 games.
Going to be an competitive series, can easy see it going 6 or 7 games.

Braves up 2-1 ...if they manage to win this after losing their No 1 pitcher to a broken leg in Game 1 ..will be amazing ...a few superstars stuck on the bench ......

It’s called the World Series because the original sponsor was the News of the World Newspaper . The rest of the sports piggy backed because it was a good marketing tool .

@happy_tiger said in [MLB World Series](/post/1499880) said:
Braves up 2-1 ...if they manage to win this after losing their No 1 pitcher to a broken leg in Game 1 ..will be amazing ...a few superstars stuck on the bench ......

How does a pitcher break a leg? 🤔

@gnr4life said in [MLB World Series](/post/1499920) said:

How does a pitcher break a leg? ?

Did a Bobby Lindner ...had a ball smashed back up the middle ...hit him in the leg ...ended up pitching for 2 more innings with a broken leg .......on his pivot leg as well ....

@happy_tiger said in [MLB World Series](/post/1499921) said:
@gnr4life said in [MLB World Series](/post/1499920) said:

How does a pitcher break a leg? ?

Did a Bobby Lindner ...had a ball smashed back up the middle ...hit him in the leg ...ended up pitching for 2 more innings with a broken leg .......on his pivot leg as well ....

That’ll do it

Good pitching effort yesterday for the win,
I understand why they pulled Anderson from the mound when they did considering the Morton injury but seeing him push for a complete no hitter is the theatre mlb needs to preserve.
Game 4, 11am espn on kayo, good way to waste my Sunday.
Astros bats hope the Weather is better than yesterday.

@strongee said in [MLB World Series](/post/1499907) said:

It’s called the World Series because the original sponsor was the News of the World Newspaper . The rest of the sports piggy backed because it was a good marketing tool .

I found this online which suggests something different:

“The Origin of the Name 'the World Series'

For many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the ‘World’s Series’. However, popular as this explanation may be, it’s not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.”

https://www.rulesofsport.com/faq/why-is-the-world-series-called-the-world-series-if-only-american-teams-play.html

Imagine this ...your debut as a pitcher in Game 4 of the World Series .......Good luck Dylan Lee

@mctiger said in [MLB World Series](/post/1499985) said:
@strongee said in [MLB World Series](/post/1499907) said:

I found this online which suggests something different:

“The Origin of the Name 'the World Series'

For many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the ‘World’s Series’. However, popular as this explanation may be, it’s not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.”

https://www.rulesofsport.com/faq/why-is-the-world-series-called-the-world-series-if-only-american-teams-play.html

Well there you go It was pure arrogance ! I’ve always thought it was the newspaper . To be fair though , in 1908 it actually was the World Series . Except for the negro leagues . Satchell Page , after Jackie Robinson broke down the wall , pitched until he was 50 it something . In his prime he was supposed to be next level .
Never gets brought up in the “greatest ever “ conversation though .
Josh Gibson was supposed to be Babe Ruth level good as well. So yea . They couldn’t even definitively claim the World Series was playing the 2 best teams in thier country let alone the world .

Well ...I didn't expect to see that scoreline when I got home

But ...as any Braves fans knows ...you don't count your chickens before they hatch ......3-1 up against Minnesota .......3-1 up against Yanks ......

@happy_tiger said in [MLB World Series](/post/1500200) said:

But ...as any Braves fans knows ...you don't count your chickens before they hatch ......3-1 up against Minnesota .......3-1 up against Yanks ......

The Wests Tigers fan in us all knows to not count chickens also,
roosters semi final scrum debacle, Warriors semi final lead blow, sporting ptsd right there.

Braves walked the tightrope again for the win yesterday, but now it's just 1 out of 3,
Astros pitching is gassed and Braves now have Fried and Anderson lined up if needed.
Houston has to start hitting, especially with runners on, otherwise it's series over.

@joeblock said in [MLB World Series](/post/1500209) said:
@happy_tiger said in [MLB World Series](/post/1500200) said:

The Wests Tigers fan in us all knows to not count chickens also,
roosters semi final scrum debacle, Warriors semi final lead blow, sporting ptsd right there.

Braves walked the tightrope again for the win yesterday, but now it's just 1 out of 3,
Astros pitching is gassed and Braves now have Fried and Anderson lined up if needed.
Houston has to start hitting, especially with runners on, otherwise it's series over.

Please not another choke .....

@happy_tiger said in [MLB World Series](/post/1500341) said:
Please not another choke .....

Even if Atlanta lose the WS after being up 3-1 I don't think I'll call it a choke.
Houston are a quality side, with a lot of recent posteason success.
Still 2 games left to wrap it up with two quality pitchers starting for Braves.
Will make a good day at work tomorrow enjoying game 6 radio on ESPN app.

@happy_tiger said in [MLB World Series](/post/1501027) said:
Tomahawk Chopping today ...woohoo World Champs

Fried got it done, didn't even need lights out Anderson.
Well done Atlanta. Definitely got hot at the right time.
Enjoy the win.

A finals appearance this decade for the Pittsburgh Pirates & Wests Tigers,
Am I asking for too much?

Latest posts

Members online

Back