New man, Stephen Humphreys, in Wests Tigers hot seat

I think every one belives the same as humphreys that we can make the top four every year. But its not as easy as that becuase at the moment our recruitment manager doesn't recruit the right players to the club. He doesn't recruit any high quality players to the club and how are we going to make the top eight every year?

Does any one have any pictures of the CS redovelopment at the moment would be good to see how the transformations are going.

I actually think its all good news…he's setting clear expectations for the club(& Sheens) as a "contender"for top 4/5 every year(something we havent done for 4 yrs),& a vision for playing more home games at LO & CO.This is what we all want.
All he needs now is a plan to get there,although easier said than done.But give him time.
Im not sure Longmuir did anything different re expectations of top 4/5,but maybe went about it a little too directly for some sensitive souls in the coaching dept

I must admti i have faith in Humphries, he has solid management experience yet was an ex league player so he knows that side of the coin too.

Bring on a 6/6 split !!

@innsaneink said:
LOL….an old balmain fan that cannot accept the JV......whats wrong with you people?
Its been 10 years for chrissts sake
Maybe some skiing in Whistler will cure you

I'm from the balmain side as well - but I prefer the skiing in switzerland.

@Don Brodga said:
Campbelltown remind me of the jealous girlfriend. Always needing reassurance. Rather than crying in the papers about unfair treatment…unfair treatment thats see's them get just as many games as Leichhardt, the people of "our heartland" should be voting with their feet. Make the most of the three games you get before you go demanding more.

Is this comment based on the initial article? I can't see anywhere in the article where Campbelltown are whinging. Sure, Campbelltown is mentioned a few times but nowhere is it suggested at all that more games would be played there than at Leichhardt.

Thanks for posting the article. Good to hear Stephen's immediate thoughts and concerns.

To be honest, the home ground situation is something that does need attention. If i had it my way i'd be playing out of one home ground and only one, which one is up for debate. Having said that i think we've shown that having 2 home grounds really isn't a disadvantage anyways. Imo the case is closed, Leichhardt and Campbelltown are both in the long term plans.

Personally, I think 2 home grounds is better than 1 (if those 2 are Leichhardt and Campbelltown). This is not to appease old factions from Balmain and the Magpies. It is a question of supply and demand.

At the moment, supply of football to Leichhardt and Campelltown is only 3 games each. This doesn't meet demand, so crowds are boosted each time we play there. If we were to go to 12 games at one or the other, supply would exceed demand and the crowd averages would fall back. I see 6 games at each ground as a happy medium. Obviously, there are advantages to the team to be playing in front of a large parochial crowd.

One thing I haven't consider though is the cost of maintaining 2 home grounds instead of 1\. Is that a direct responsibility of Wests Tigers or someone else?

These issues are nothing new….I'm glad Humphreys has it in the forthought of his thinking....The article indicates the business plan for 6/6 as opposed to the corporate stadium is coming closer together...

It's fine to take the money on offer from the SFS and in the past ANZ but there comes a time when you have to ask at what price...I believe playng away from our traditional home grounds has contributed to some of the poor on field performances....We have no fortress....The fans love them ...the players always say how much they love playing out of Leichhardt and Campbelltown....Opposing teams hate playing at these ground...I would love the remaning home games against Manly and the Dogs at Cambo and Parra at Leichhardt...the crowds would be massive and the atmosphere electric...The scum teams would hate it....

It's time to move back to building a home ground advantage something we lose playing out of WSFS....

Longmuir did a similar thing when he first started - went out to Campbelltown….. we all know how that ended. :unamused:

@Geo. said:
These issues are nothing new….I'm glad Humphreys has it in the forthought of his thinking....The article indicates the business plan for 6/6 as opposed to the corporate stadium is coming closer together...

It's fine to take the money on offer from the SFS and in the past ANZ but there comes a time when you have to ask at what price...I believe playng away from our traditional home grounds has contributed to some of the poor on field performances....We have no fortress....The fans love them ...the players always say how much they love playing out of Leichhardt and Campbelltown....Opposing teams hate playing at these ground...I would love the remaning home games against Manly and the Dogs at Cambo and Parra at Leichhardt...the crowds would be massive and the atmosphere electric...The scum teams would hate it....

It's time to move back to building a home ground advantage something we lose playing out of WSFS....

I think for the clubs survival they will continue to take the lucrative offers from the SFS though. Obviously as fans we would love to see more games at Campbelltown and Leichardt, and we may get back to a 6-6 split eventually. It's just a pity that neither ground offers the financial windfall that the SFS does. The club will put its financial survival first and foremost though, even if some fans aren't happy about going to the SFS.

finally a 6-6 split :slight_smile:

though i would be hapy with a 5-5 split plus 2 games at the scg just so the club gets extra money coming in

I'll be eager to see where Humprhrey B. Bear is going to pull the $600K from that will enable both Leichhardt and Campbelltown to return to a 6/6 split. Both grounds can not come close to the financial incentive and revenue that a commercial agreement has been able to provide Wests Tigers since 2005.

The commercial venture with ANZ and now the SFS has been a key factor in the Joint venture club remaining viable in what is an extremely bleak future clouded by financial uncertainty in the sporting market place. I for one, will not be getting too excited until 1). It does happen and 2). That there is a significant increase in revenue through sponsorship and commercial partnerships making up the short fall from ending such a vital commerical venture with the SCG Trust.

Let Mr. Humphrey's business acumen which is rich in corporate history combined with his leadership, foresight and judgement achieve such a risky plight. I'd be still nterested in seeing how the St.George-Illawarra Joint-Venture has managed to cease all commercial ventures and play all their home games at their traditional bases. Obviously a sound business model. Maybe Wests could adopt a similar plan that seems to be paying dividends for the Dragons.

The 3-3-6 split at present isnt great but if it keeps our team going I can live with it. Iam afraid both LO and CO need buckets of money thrown at them to get the coperate facilities up to scratch and that what you need to be able to compete with the other sydney based clubs. I like what hear from Kevin Junior, the top four stuff , thats what I have been saying for years. Its where we should be year after year,we have so much going for us but continue to underperform and that what has to be addressed.

@supercoach said:
The 3-3-6 split at present isnt great but if it keeps our team going I can live with it. Iam afraid both LO and CO need buckets of money thrown at them to get the coperate facilities up to scratch and that what you need to be able to compete with the other sydney based clubs. I like what hear from Kevin Junior, the top four stuff , thats what I have been saying for years. Its where we should be year after year,we have so much going for us but continue to underperform and that what has to be addressed.

Good post - The ground situation has to remain as is the way I see it.

A top 4 club on a regular basis - lest hope so.

hopefully he can find a way for us to have 6 games at campbelltown and 6 at leichhardt. that would be awesome.

How about you people who are indirectly knocking him get off his back and come on board with someone who actually knows what he is doing and who I believe will set up realistic goals for the future and achieve what he sets out to accomplish. I thought that we had bonded on this forum and had put the childish cheap bickering between the fans of our two great clubs to rest but now I'm not so sure.

@Gobbs said:
Let Mr. Humphrey's business acumen which is rich in corporate history combined with his leadership, foresight and judgement achieve such a risky plight. I'd be still nterested in seeing how the St.George-Illawarra Joint-Venture has managed to cease all commercial ventures and play all their home games at their traditional bases. Obviously a sound business model. Maybe Wests could adopt a similar plan that seems to be paying dividends for the Dragons.

Remember Saints Leagues chucks in much more than our Leagues Clubs

On Stephen Humprheys, I think it would be fair to say with his experience, if anyone is going to work something out it will be him.

I have plenty of faith.

@Gobbs said:
I'll be eager to see where Humprhrey B. Bear is going to pull the $600K from that will enable both Leichhardt and Campbelltown to return to a 6/6 split. Both grounds can not come close to the financial incentive and revenue that a commercial agreement has been able to provide Wests Tigers since 2005.

The commercial venture with ANZ and now the SFS has been a key factor in the Joint venture club remaining viable in what is an extremely bleak future clouded by financial uncertainty in the sporting market place. I for one, will not be getting too excited until 1). It does happen and 2). That there is a significant increase in revenue through sponsorship and commercial partnerships making up the short fall from ending such a vital commerical venture with the SCG Trust.

The St george merger is a interesting one, where dose the cash come from ??? Both WIN and Jubilee are on the small side when it comes to capacity and if we believe what we have been told for years all but ground full is break even point at the typical suburban ground. My guess St George bank are throwing plenty into the pot and their minor sponsors are chipping in with plenty, the dragon is still probably the biggest brand name in the nrl. They only have the one leagues club and I dont think the Taja Maha (spellings probably wrong) is the cash cow it once was.

You would think if they can do it, their is no reason we cant, we have three leagues clubs, very strong brand name,large stable support base and of course a few of the most marketable players in the NRL

I think it's just easier to take the 600K….Humphery's ,,,,I'm hoping will try a bit harder........From what I know of him he seems to know what he's doing...

@Geo. said:
I think it's just easier to take the 600K….Humphery's ,,,,I'm hoping will try a bit harder........From what I know of him he seems to know what he's doing...

That $600k is a mighty big carrot because it is guaranteed income. I don't know how the Tigers could get that much out of Campbelltown or Leichardt. It would be great if both grounds seriously raked in the dough, but they don't. Not sure what the solution is, but Humphreys and co. might be able to look into alternative revenue options.

Back