Next Seasons Jersey Maker

Yeah we need to get out of this Balmain/Magpies thing - we are the WT's, look to the future not the past please.

@helmesy said:
Yeah we need to get out of this Balmain/Magpies thing - we are the WT's, look to the future not the past please.

And i reckon a jersey that was predominantely Orange and White would be a step forward. I realy don't understand how that can be labelled a Wests v Balmain thing to want to have those two colours as our main ones. People say that want to look to the future, but the majoirty of them don't put forward any ideas of how we can achieve that by WT having their own identity

I just want our three colours on all our stuff

Black & white = Magpies
Black & orange = BRET
Black white & orange = Wests Tigers - thats my team

Unfortunately they often leave one colour out which makes it another clubs colours…that irks me.
I dont care if the average fan gives a fig or not...Im iust speaking for me.

Yeah for sure lets use the three colours -Gold, White and Black, these are the WT's colours.

Personally I would scrap the heritage jerseys and just come up with a design similar to our original design that had elements of Balmain and Wests but was also uniquely WT's.

It should be pretty easy to incorporate these colours into any jersey or other merchandise.

How about you guys wanting more white on the merchandise/apparel buy the ladies only option for a jacket? The only WT colour on that jacket is white…...the rest is pink. So I wouldn't be whinging too much about the colours if I was a man. Try putting up with the limited apparel options for the women, and then when we do get some additional options, I swear some of those styles are actually just men's styles and they put ladies sizes on them.

@helmesy said:

Agree 100% Helmesy,
We desperately need to get over it and move forward. After the 2005 GF win we should have become one united side, but as it is here we today still arguing about the same old shit.
Unfortunately the Balmain/magpies thing will never pass while we have a few Magpie fans complaining about being hard done by in the JV, and a few old Balmain fans constantly coming out with cheap shots, trying to instigate an arguement.
In hindsight this would have been avoided if we had gone with a totally new name and mascot along with a set of new neutral team colors, but that would have been a near impossible task.

Some of the posts above are so incorrect it is not funny.

I took the opportunity to attend one of the Forum feedback sessions with Wests Tigers and met with Brett Clarke. I wish some of those that have posted above would have done the same before shooting their mouths off.

One of the main reasons for attending was to talk about merchandise as I have an interest in this. The detail I was told was quite interesting. Here a few of my questions and the responses (not quoted given it was a few months back but the points are correct).

Merchandise designs - I wanted to know who designs the merchandise and dictates colours etc.
Response: The NRL runs all clubs licensing programs. There are 190-odd official Licences across all items, apparel, gifts, bags, headwear etc. of the 190, Wt only has control over one, which is X-Blades. With X-Blades they are only allowed to produce 23 items plus a couple of player only items and finals tees etc. with X-Blades, WT do as much as possible to share all on all items where possible. Some items are harder to achieve this then others. From time to time there will be items where they will favour one colour over the other froma design point of view but then will almost in all cases have a reverse of that colour in an alternate design of the same item (I.e Polos - predom black and then a predom white one. I think the training gear this year is a perfect example of this.). It is true that one jersey needs to stay in place for 3 seasons, although the second (assume white) can be changed every two years. Heritage and special jerseys (Pink) can be changed every year.
All other items from the other 190 odd Licencees are managed by the NRL and clubs very rarely get to see or have any approvals on these designs before they are produced.
He said that WT need to submit a design guide to the NRL as do all clubs that gets put into a folder/disc with all clubs and sent to all Licencees each year. He showed me this folder and I can guarantee that it specifically says ALL COLOURS MUST BE USED (no reference to -only use Orange as mentioned previously). It also states that the club must always be referred to as WESTS TIGERS in merchandise and not just Wests or Tigers alone. he also said the club pays particular attention to always using the name in full and tries to work with media to do same, but doesn't always work at that level.

Colour of Orange: Why has this changed?
Response: He said that there is a despite people saying the colour of the orange is meant to be 'gold' that the PMS colour of Wests Tigers orange is called PMS151c (i wrote this down on the day). He showed me this in the style guide from last year and also the style guide from the year 2000 when WT started (both he and i could only assume that when the JV was started they wanted a WT orange shade as opposed to using Balmain's). He also showed me a guide that has all the colours (I believe one that designers use) and this colour orange is actually a very bright orange. He said that these were the colours agreed upon when the joint venture started.
I then asked why the big difference between 2010 and then 2011\. He said that from around 2008 the colour was changed to another orange, he showed me this as well but can't remember the exact number. It was very gold, almost yellow. He said that by the end of the season players jerseys were almost yellow or the Titans sandy colour after they were washed numerous times.
Apparently the colour orange is one of the hardest colours to match across all items and the easiest to match was the 151c number so they reverted (no its not called tangerine as I've seen written).
He did say that in 2011 they wanted a more vibrant orange and that some came out brighter than others. He did admit that WT are aiming to achieve a WT orange and that given this is a unique colour to WT in most of Australian sport that this colour would be prominent in advertising and certain items. At the same time he did say that it is important to make sure that other colours are also well represented all the time. He said that some items don't always work and the Members cap is an example where it didn't come out anywhere near what they had planned and would change it for 2012.

Items: who designs the items?
Response: Blades items are designed between XBlades and WT. Other items are done by each individual Licencee. The reason why many items have a predominately black base are that for instance t-shirts will be ordered by a Licencee in huge numbers - they will order a black t-shirt and use across lots of clubs eg WT, Panthers, Warriors, Bulldogs, Sharks etc. he said most Licencees design shirts with a similar base and same graphic theme. Basically all these shirts are screen printed with the club design.

Other colours: he brought up the use of other colours and asked my opinion. I said I was ok with it andj have purchased one of the yellow jerseys. He was gauging people's interest in other colours. I mentioned that most clubs here in Australia and around the world use other colours in certain items and I would be ok with it. He mentioned that they would never change the black white and orange on the playing jerseys for the comp games. I guess this is the trial/training jersey.

Magpie on the sleeve: as an old Magpie fan, I wanted to ask why the Magpie had been moved.
Response: he said that when Trend Micro signed on as sleeve sponsor they had an issue with the Magpie sitting on top of the red ball in their logo. The ball was then moved to the top and fit well into the curve of the top of the sleeve. He said that this was a commercially important issue for Trend and they now have one of themost lucrative sponsorships in the NRL from them.
I also asked if it was smaller and he admitted that it is slightly smaller than 2010, however minimal. The reason behind this was the players have requested shorter and tighter sleeves. Trend Micro has a certain size space permitted by the NRL and to allow them to maximize this for their investment and to give the players what they wanted in the new designed jerseys they needed to reduce the size slightly. We spoke about possibly increasing the size of the Magpie on the supporters jerseys and he said this could be a possibility and would look into it.
\
\
\
Anyhow that is most of what I can remember from my session. I found it to be really informative and he was very open and genuine. He said his father and grandfather played for Wests Magpies so I can't see him trying to purposely do anything to play down the Magpies.

I am sure that others who attended the sessions could back up my comments above.

I suggest that those that have posted above who have written to the contrary should contact the club or I think Kul who organized the forum feedback sessions may be able to arrange some more.

That's my two cents on this issue. By the way - I can't wait forthe season, I have good feeling about this season. Go Wests Tigers.

He showed me this folder and I can guarantee that it specifically says ALL COLOURS MUST BE USED ….....

![](http://img.nrl.sportal.com.au/site/_content/shopitem/00001191-image.jpg)

![](http://img.nrl.sportal.com.au/site/_content/shopitem/00001301-image.gif)

![](http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbqVHEklfVUZQ8UwBYG41Xkj3UTsxpMXD1a1nSeBpFfoSb5zKUTbFR30xe)

Seats.

![](http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/06/19/1226078/043575-110619-benji-marshall.jpg)

They are usually, but not always

@black and white tiger said:
Well done Towntiger.!

Yes indeed. I'm replying to your message to take up less space but thanks to Towntiger for taking the time to write that detailed response.

Its interesting to note that balmain had a noticeable white mix to their old 1996-1997 jerseys. So balmain was a mix of black gold and white in jersey and socks. As mentioned in the above post, all merchandise should include black gold AND WHITE! That is the colours of WT.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

@innsaneink said:
He showed me this folder and I can guarantee that it specifically says ALL COLOURS MUST BE USED ….....

![](http://img.nrl.sportal.com.au/site/_content/shopitem/00001191-image.jpg)

![](http://img.nrl.sportal.com.au/site/_content/shopitem/00001301-image.gif)

![](http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbqVHEklfVUZQ8UwBYG41Xkj3UTsxpMXD1a1nSeBpFfoSb5zKUTbFR30xe)

Seats.

![](http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/06/19/1226078/043575-110619-benji-marshall.jpg)

They are usually, but not always

Glad people enjoyed notes.

Ink, i do agree with you.

The examples you use are exactly what I was referring to in my post. The club has no real control over these designs. The issue here is the NRL approving designs that don't fit guidelines, club has no involvement in this process. The club did say not all items will be perfect balance, particularly on items they don't control.

As for the seats - being harsh there, aren't they a sponsors seat ISRI? Anything better than plastic seats. Could u imagine how dirty the seats would get if they were white!!

They only need a small white part….the orange bit on the side near the shoulder?????
Thanks for respecting my opinion....

Could be worse though ....hope we never get to this stage, hope the yellow thing isnt a start
Huddersfield Giants 2012 alternate

![](http://www.giantsrl.com/~mediagi/images/4593.jpg)

@wtfl1981 said:
Its interesting to note that balmain had a noticeable white mix to their old 1996-1997 jerseys. So balmain was a mix of black gold and white in jersey and socks. As mentioned in the above post, all merchandise should include black gold AND WHITE! That is the colours of WT.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

The Sydney Tigers ones did. As I recall it also had some purple. It was truly poor The Balmain 1997 jersey didn't - I have one of those in my wardrobe. It was a variation on the jumper with a v but with some horizontal stripes at the bottom. After that they used the bumble bee jumper

Anyway the use of white doesn't bother me but at the same time it is not really honest to suggest white was one of Balmain's colours. Happened a few times but not often.

@innsaneink said:
They only need a small white part….the orange bit on the side near the shoulder?????

The 2012 New Era caps are another example where white is minimal. Have to say though, the design has a bit of resemblance to the previous member's cap

![](http://culturekings.com.au/shoppingcart/product_images/v/224/IMG_4634__84173_zoom.jpg)

As long as Benji is with us, X Blades will make our jerseys. I wouldn't be surprised if its a condition of his contract considering Marshall is probably getting kick backs from them and free boots!!
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

I got told Kooga would be doing our gear next year?

Yoss, that jersey you are describing (V with thickening stripes) is my all-time favorite. Wish I had one. O e came up on eBay late last year and it went for over $200.

@TigerDave81 said:
As long as Benji is with us, X Blades will make our jerseys. I wouldn't be surprised if its a condition of his contract considering Marshall is probably getting kick backs from them and free boots!!
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

He's wearing something else now…Asics or Tiger brand (old)

![](http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/03/06/1226016/748211-benji-marshall-.jpg)

.That said I was looking for some boxing gear recently and surprisedly saw him on a website promoting their gear...forget which brand now
\
\
edit*

Asics
http://www.asics.com.au/partnerships/athletes/benji-marshall.aspx

Nothing gets past you insaneiak. Good pick up. I still thought he was with Xblades but apparently not.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

I noticed he changed a few years ago…...being involved with kids RL we were always told by the boys which boots Benji wore....one even texta-ed his number 6 inside his own jersey even though his team number was something else

Latest posts

Back