Nowhere to hide for Tigers

Bazzinator

THE embattled Tigers will go into camp in Newcastle this afternoon in preparation for Friday night's crunch game against the Knights - but there is just nowhere to hide.
>
Staring down the barrel of a fifth straight loss and with growing speculation about team unrest, coach Tim Sheens yesterday stuck solid with his players, making just necessary injury-based changes to his squad.
>
The move was backed by passionate former Tiger Benny Elias who said last night: "Cats have nine lives, footy players only have three - and these guys have used up two. I think Sheensy's done the right thing in this case. The finger's on the panic button but I wouldn't push it just yet either."
>
Sheens and captain Robbie Farah issued a public apology for their disastrous crumpling against the Rabbitohs on Sunday and the club has gone into lockdown, banning players from speaking to the media.
>
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
>
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
>
Star playmaker Benji Marshall's form is the centre of much speculation, but insiders say he is determined to turn the Tigers' season around.
>
But the pressure on Sheens continues to build after his side started the season with four wins from five matches.
>
The Tigers confirmed yesterday they will travel to Newcastle this afternoon in an attempt to jolt players back into form.
>
However, Tigers officials initially denied any knowledge of their team's trip to Newcastle - despite football manager Alan Mair saying it has been in the works for a "long time".
>
Mair put the Tigers' different lines down to an internal communication error.
>
With EnergyAustralia Stadium just two hours up the F3 from the Tigers' Concord base, the club will spend the next few days soul-searching after conceding 112 points in their last four games.
>
The team will not train in Newcastle this afternoon and will enjoy a relaxing dinner together as a team after an afternoon off.
>
They will have a light hitout tomorrow.
>
The Tigers also went into a similar camp in Kiama, on the NSW South Coast, ahead of their round-four win over the Raiders.
>
However, their preparation for the game against the Knights has been disrupted by a series of heavy showers in Newcastle. The Tigers have been told by Newcastle City Council the ground they intended to use for tomorrow's training session is waterlogged and cannot be used. They will still train at another venue.
>
Sheens kept faith with his besieged players, making just two injury-based changes to their round 10 team.
>
Geoff Daniela has returned to the first-grade side to replace the injured Blake Ayshford, who has been ruled out for at least four weeks with a groin injury.
>
Western Suburbs' NSW Cup back-rower Josh Davis and forward Simon Dwyer have been named on a five-man bench to replace Liam Fulton (shoulder), who is also set to spend the next four weeks on the sidelines.

Does anyone know where they were last night? Did the club have them staying somewhere to keep away from the lime light perhaps?

I expect the players were all at home last night. If I am reading it correctly, they travel up to Newcastle this arvo according to the article.

I think Sheens is the one who wanted to get out of town, I think the media are starting to get the message that the great man is not so great and are starting to fire some bullets.

Nowhere to hide, except if we leave town and run off to Newcastle to avoid media scrutiny. Supercoach must be thankful for origin to take the heat off him

Rewarded for a garbage performance with no one getting axed and a 4 day break in a 5 star resort (the players will enjoy a relaxing dinner together after the afternoon off) great life if you can get it.

Can only guess it's more about changing the routine. I said the other day half as a joke that perhaps the boys should stop training. Anything that breaks the current cycle their in.

it's a vicious cycle..
Last year they played a bad game and the following week, Sheens took them to Kiama, they won the next game and all the bad press was fixed.
Same thing is happening now.
Where will next year's holiday be?

I live in Newcastle. Anyone know exactly where n when they are training? I'll go n check em out.

Benny's line about them using up two of their three lives made me laugh. It seems like every season these guys come close to using up all their lives, but miraculously they survive.

@TigersFan4Life said:
Benny's line about them using up two of their three lives made me laugh. It seems like every season these guys come close to using up all their lives, but miraculously they survive.

Well tigers are members of the cat family so maybe they actually have 9 lives???

@Alf Duguid said:
Nowhere to hide, except if we leave town and run off to Newcastle to avoid media scrutiny. Supercoach must be thankful for origin to take the heat off him

Yeah….there are no reporters in Newcastle.

Its a miracle we found out about the earthquake!!!

:laughing:

The reporters up there are too caught up with their love of everything Newcastle Knights. They are still trying to find out what happened to Danny Wicks and Chris Houston. Apparently they haven't been seen at training for weeks!!

Im just spewin I wont be able to see the game,with no camera,phone or reporters there.

Can someone send me a telegram with the score…...maybe fire an orange flare if we win,and a blue one if we lose.

Thank you in advance.

Back