NRL admits bunker mistake

Funnily for someone (NRL) that can put all of this to bed, they are trying their best to entice us to jump in bed with them.
Morally they are obligated to show they have nothing at all to hide, before anyone decides wether the matter goes to court or not. The court recommend this take place first.
Ethically the NRL are a disgrace.
Legally at least the truth comes out.
Don’t get upset with me. Your posting is #1 , I just don’t like the opinion piece . This guy gets paid to write rubbish, don’t feed nonsense.
I'm pretty sure the guy who wrote that piece is a sports lawyer.

Ain’t that the truth . Going to court could bring out mobile phone records. You can’t hide from digital technology, everything has a foot print.
This week Klien and others have plenty of time to talk to crooks, they have allocated games.
To Follow betting irregularities, follow phones and texts these days is way to easy for forensics, it places someone somewhere.
Ha ha... I won't go too far into what phone can and can't do. but an American woman wrote a book called the age of surveillance capitalism. Personal data is big business.

I watch a lot of true crime stuff and it never ceases to amaze and confound me how many people are caught because of where their phone has pinged!

"I swear! I wasn't in the middle of the Great Sandy Desert at 4am that Thursday night!"

"Well your phone was!". 🤣

A change of the rules next year is to make all bunker decisions audible on ground, then this fiasco cannot happen again and does make the game more transparent.
That's exactly how it should be!

I also get annoyed hearing commentators say that we are not seeing what the bunker is on their screens.

Not all apparently, otherwise we would not be asking for the tape of what was said between butler and the klown after we got robbed.
The tape they are asking for is the communication between the bunker and ref during play. Everyone could hear the decision making process of the call.

🎯Correct. The issue Is justice. Audio , corruption and injunction, not really about 2pts anymore.
The WT mustn't back away from this, The evidence is just too strong,

The justice that the WT are seeking should be this,
For the sake of the game and to restore it's good reputation, the crooks at the NRL must be dealt with properly so that those crooks be removed from their current jobs, but while they continue in their jobs then the NRL will continue to be severly deficient of integrity.

It's worth reading this honest comment of this man again,

from Fox Sports
July 27th, 2022
former referees boss Michael Stone have described the NRL’s response to the controversial decision as a “smother job”.
“I can’t believe what I saw on Sunday and how the NRL then tried to cover its tracks
” Stone said to WWOS.

To me, what is at stake here is the value of the game of Rugby League itself.
The NRL has publicly admitted fault, which implies straight up that the Milkmaids lost the game and the Wests Tigers won. The Milkmaids should never have been given a kick for penalty therefore they lost by one point.
What makes it so difficult for the NRL (this sports governing body) to then publicly state that; given it was an NRL employee's mistake, we will take the two points and give them to the rightful winner.
I believe the NRL will not make that call because of their beholden position to the gambling industry. Too many big boys with big bucks saying don't you dare.
I can't think of a single reason other than this that the NRL cant correct their mistake.
Recent talk about dropping the bunker or dropping the captains challenge are distractions from the real problem.
The NRL should be finding a way to insure or indemnify itself from exactly the situation wherein one of its employees makes a huge financial mistake, because that is what this was. Our club is in the perfect position to push for this kind of change because the mistake in this case was so obvious and so blatant.
If this aspect of the 'sport' of Rugby League is swept under the carpet again it will be relegated to remaining a shop front for the gambling industry.

The board will meet tomorrow before the game to decide if they'll take the matter further
ARLC chairman Peter V’landys said he understood the Tigers’ frustrations but hoped they would not commence legal action.

“Tigers fans should be happy that lee and Justin prosecuted their case well,” V’landys said on Triple M. “We can understand their frustration and where they are coming from. But it sets an awful precedent to change a game and change the points. Otherwise you will be in court every second weekend.

“The referee makes mistakes and they usually even out in the match. There were probably other mistakes which impacted the Cowboys.”

The Tigers were beaten in the final second of the game against the Cowboys a fortnight ago when North Queensland were awarded a penalty following a successful captain’s challenge by the home side.

V’landys said the referral to the bunker caused the greatest angst for the Tigers.

“Was the captain’s challenge legal because of the challenge,” V’landys said “It’s a grey area. I heard (from) NRL management and the Tigers. I can see it’s a little bit ambiguous. We need to fix it and make the rule clearer. That’s what we will do at the end of the year.

“I’m confident the Tigers will accept the decision.”

The next step for the Tigers would be to pursue legal action and take the matter to court to chase the points. They hope to have a decision by Monday at the latest as they look for closure on the issue.

Prominent barrister Yaseen Shariff SC, has been engaged by the Tigers to explore their legal options. (DT)

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys said he understood the Tigers’ frustrations but hoped they would not commence legal action.

“Tigers fans should be happy that lee and Justin prosecuted their case well,” V’landys said on Triple M. “We can understand their frustration and where they are coming from. But it sets an awful precedent to change a game and change the points. Otherwise you will be in court every second weekend.

“The referee makes mistakes and they usually even out in the match. There were probably other mistakes which impacted the Cowboys.”

The Tigers were beaten in the final second of the game against the Cowboys a fortnight ago when North Queensland were awarded a penalty following a successful captain’s challenge by the home side.

V’landys said the referral to the bunker caused the greatest angst for the Tigers.

“Was the captain’s challenge legal because of the challenge,” V’landys said “It’s a grey area. I heard (from) NRL management and the Tigers. I can see it’s a little bit ambiguous. We need to fix it and make the rule clearer. That’s what we will do at the end of the year.

The next step for the Tigers would be to pursue legal action and take the matter to court to chase the points. They hope to have a decision by Monday at the latest as they look for closure on the issue.

Prominent barrister Yaseen Shariff SC, has been engaged by the Tigers to explore their legal options. (DT)
Thanks very much for posting that @WT2K.

My thoughts:

What a load of crap.

- Thanks for the lesson on how to equivocate and attempt to placate we imbeciles by using shallow rhetoric that only further emphasises the condescending attitude the NRL has towards this matter and the club.

“Tigers fans should be happy that lee and Justin prosecuted their case well,”

Please.

"Could you BE any more patronising?" - Chandler Bing, 1990 something...

They have shown they have no moral leg to stand on. They know it, they know everyone knows it and are handling this like rank amateurs.

- "Was the captain's challenge legal because of the challenge?".

Seriously?! Is this actually what he said verbatim?! 😳

He has obviously never heard the saying:
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought an idiot than to open it and have it proven.

- IT IS NOT A GREY AREA! It is called a captain's challenge because it is intended to be used TO CHALLENGE A REFEREE'S RULING!

I'm so sick and tired of hearing this shit. Next time I'm pulled over for doing 120 on the freeway I'll just say "Well, yes, the signs say 100, but it's a grey area...". 🙄

- "There were probably other mistakes which impacted the Cowboys.”

I literally have no idea how to respond to such a preposterous statement...

- Thank God this isn't the Premier League. The tigers would be in the relegation zone and those points could have potentially meant the difference between staying up and going down. Which is worth absolutely £millions.

As time goes by it makes me more and more pissed off. All I had hoped for was an apology and acknowledgement they stuffed up.

But now I really do hope it goes as far as it can, the tigers win a court case, get the 2 points and financial compensation.

Seriously, the amount of emotional and psychological damage this has done to me I think I deserve a free Happy Meal or something!

It is now my dream to have a supreme court judge rule against the NRL and award damages of 1 Happy Meal for every Tigers fan who has had to deal with this absolute farce.

Looks like V'landys will do whatever he can "smother job" to cover his arse. What a load of excuses for his staffs expensive error. He tries to muddy the waters saying referee errors 'even out' through the match. Ok but this was on a grand scale and led to multiple commentators saying the game was stolen from the WT. Why would anyone, with the interests of the game at heart, accept what was such an obvious balls up?
Ok V'landys admits to his staff making erroneous decisions based on his organisations poor rule definitions (grey area). So his organisation and staff get it obviously wrong and one club has to pay a penalty that is solely attributable to his oversight?
Is that acceptable?

Last edited:

We wouldn't get going to court for a shocking decision it's been said a million times its to do with the game ending and what happened after that I'd go ahead if they can afford it

Mr Racing knows it was not a error of judgment but a absolute rort of the rules and he knows the Tigers would have a real chance of winning a legal challenge but worse, exposing the NRL to possibly something more sinister.

He also know that they can apply a lot of pressure to the tigers,not to appeal. So I doubt they will go down the road of litigation .

The WT mustn't back away from this, The evidence is just too strong,

The justice that the WT are seeking should be this,
For the sake of the game and to restore it's good reputation, the crooks at the NRL must be dealt with properly so that those crooks be removed from their current jobs, but while they continue in their jobs then the NRL will continue to be severly deficient of integrity.

It's worth reading this honest comment of this man again,

from Fox Sports
July 27th, 2022
former referees boss Michael Stone have described the NRL’s response to the controversial decision as a “smother job”.
“I can’t believe what I saw on Sunday and how the NRL then tried to cover its tracks
” Stone said to WWOS.
Great article, well stated.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back