NRL Tigers meet sponsors over Lui arrest

  • Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

Guest

Guest
NRL Tigers meet sponsors over Lui arrest
Ian McCullough
September 20, 2011 - 6:24PM

AAP

Wests Tigers have met with concerned sponsors after halfback Robert Lui was charged with assaulting his girlfriend.

The 21-year-old was stood down by the NRL club on Tuesday after his arrest at his home in Sydney's west following the team's mad Monday celebrations in the wake of Friday's semi-final defeat by the Warriors.

Police called to the premises found his partner Taleah Rae Backo with a swollen face and detained Lui, who was later charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

He was given bail and will appear at Burwood Local Court on October 7.

In September last year, Lui was also charged with nine offences related to allegedly assaulting Backo, who was pregnant at the time, but had those assault charges dismissed in April.

Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys, confirmed Lui would remain on the club's payroll, but not allowed to work with the players, who will remain in training up until the grand final on October 2, or take part in activities and luncheons with sponsors.

"We have made an initial round of phone calls and had a couple of meetings this afternoon with sponsors to take them through our plan of how we will manage the situation," Humphreys told AAP.

"They have been supportive of that approach."

Humphreys also denied the club had been put under pressure by two of the club's main sponsors, Meriton and Trend Media, to axe Lui, but admitted there was concern from companies involved with the club.

"Everyone seems to be unanimous in allowing the legal process to take it's course and we will review the situation again once it has happened," he said.

"Of course we are all concerned about the allegation but we also don't want to be judgmental.

"We all feel that is the prudent thing to do."

Humphreys admitted the charges against the Queenslander were not a good look, but cautioned against pre-judging Lui, despite his arrest last year following the Tigers' defeat to St George Illawarra in last year's preliminary final.

"He was cleared of all the charges last year and we have to give him the benefit of the doubt and a clean slate," he said.

"We have to just wait, Rob has helped police with their inquiries and is following the legal process."

Humphreys said the club would review Mad Monday celebrations and he'd be meeting with all of the players to find out if there were any problems on the night.

"We will take the opportunity to review end of season celebrations with the playing group and if there are lessons to be learned then we will learn them," he said.

"I've spoken to the senior playing group and was at the police station until 3am meeting with Rob, and I will get around to the rest of the group in good time.

"But until we hear more, we'll sit on the sidelines."

NRL chief executive David Gallop confirmed the Tigers had kept him updated on the situation but refused to be drawn on whether the matter compromised the code's Women in League initiative or the PM's XIII clash with Papua New Guinea.

Sunday's game in Port Moresby is being used to highlight domestic violence in the country.

"All I can say is that it's obviously a huge matter and we have to be aware of the court process as it happens," Gallop told AAP.

"I have asked the club to keep me informed about any further developments."
 
I know that it will take some time. I think October 7th That he is due in court. I just meant that I hope it's not one of the cases that seems to drag on and on for no reason.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED
 
Rob is co-operating as well - it's not like the Ryan Tandy things where EVERY STEP of the way he has either denied allegations, changed his story, etc, or where Greg Bird changed his story and allegedly it involved a mate, etc…

That will also help speed everything up.
 
@Montague Street said:
Won't be swift
Courts are clogged
I'd say about 6 months
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

I think this article is a tad too swift.

As usual the alleged victim is almost forgotten - one line stating she'll be offered counselling.

However, its ''concerned'' sponsors.
I wonder if theyre concerned about Ms Backo….or something else.
 
@innsaneink said:
@Montague Street said:
Won't be swift
Courts are clogged
I'd say about 6 months
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

I think this article is a tad too swift.

As usual the alleged victim is almost forgotten - one line stating she'll be offered counselling.

However, its ''concerned'' sponsors.
I wonder if theyre concerned about Ms Backo….or something else.

I'm seriously not being a smart arse here, but what do you think the club should say? What do you think the appropriate statement should have been from the club?
 
Sponsors are concerned with getting their image tarnished…no doubt, they are big business and can't afford to be seen supporting someone who has done this, even if he is yet to be proven guilty...reputation is everything unfortunately and they have a lot of stake holders who will be asking questions no doubt...sad but that is the way the world turns...
 
@Furious1 said:
@innsaneink said:
@Montague Street said:
Won't be swift
Courts are clogged
I'd say about 6 months
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

I think this article is a tad too swift.

As usual the alleged victim is almost forgotten - one line stating she'll be offered counselling.

However, its ''concerned'' sponsors.
I wonder if theyre concerned about Ms Backo….or something else.

I'm seriously not being a smart arse here, but what do you think the club should say? What do you think the appropriate statement should have been from the club?

As per my first line…I think its all a bit too quick.
Leave the bloody sucking up to the sponsors story at least 24 hours, or a couple of days....its not even been 12 hours after hes been charged
Say nothing for a day or two.

You look at the size of their official statement, then the size of this.
 
@innsaneink said:
@Furious1 said:
@innsaneink said:
@Montague Street said:
Won't be swift
Courts are clogged
I'd say about 6 months
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

I think this article is a tad too swift.

As usual the alleged victim is almost forgotten - one line stating she'll be offered counselling.

However, its ''concerned'' sponsors.
I wonder if theyre concerned about Ms Backo….or something else.

I'm seriously not being a smart arse here, but what do you think the club should say? What do you think the appropriate statement should have been from the club?

As per my first line…I think its all a bit too quick.
Leave the bloody sucking up to the sponsors story at least 24 hours, or a couple of days....its not even been 12 hours after hes been charged
Say nothing for a day or two.

You look at the size of their official statement, then the size of this.

Yeah fair enough. I'm not sure the club released a statement about speaking to the sponsors as opposed to AAP reporter asking questions so he could write the story. I take the point though, i guess the club could have replied that their concern was Lui and his G/F at this point and they would be in contact with sponsors over the next few days. Better way to handle it.
 
Imagine what the conversation will be between sponsors and Tigers
Questions like "can you replace him " ,"must be someone else off contract we can sign"
Both will be worried about their own interests and fair enough as well
I think Lui is skating on extremely thin ice and probably won't be here next season
 
@tiger91 said:
All the sponsors are concerned about is the almighty dollar. $$$

Umm and whats your point - the sponsors are businesses - businesses exist to make $$$ - that is their only reason for existing so of course they are and I am impressed the club has been proactive and quickly got out and talked to sponsors shows what a well run club. Of course they are concerned about the young lady and from my understanding they have been very supportive of her and Rob Lui

I think whatever happens that Lui should be sacked at the end of this - true or not he is bringing the reputation of the tigers into question and that isnt ok - especially for a 2nd time - the charges were dismissed the first time but the reality of the behavior was never denied
 
I'm just saying they (sponsors) are concerned about the business side of things.

They invest in the club and image and expect a return. If something happens that effects that return, then they are concerned.

I didn't mean to imply that they are wrong in doing so, so I appologise if that's how it can across.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED
 
@MAFIA said:
Well my view is sack him if found guilty, sign prince to mentor miller

i agree. prince for 2 years. after that it will be miller time! :slight_smile:
 
Back
Top