Pretenders

@Snake said:
@hybrid_tiger said:
Our position just shows how mediocre the standard of this competition is. It's embarrassing.

How true is that statement …My wife and I spoke of the same thing after the game this season is very mediocre to say the least ..once the Storm were gone that was it the bar is set very low ...I mean the way we are playing and were 3rd ????

Why factor the Storm into it? Their administrators chose not to compete fairly, they get left out. Sounds fair to me.

I don't know about the standard of competition being crap this year. No doubts our position on the table is flattering because as i see it i think we've struggled to put 80 minutes together once this season. We've had pockets of good form here and there.

On last night's game. We were sluggish and lethargic overall. Our ball handling was disgraceful but credit where it's due. Our defence was top notch. Twice Brisbane could've been forgiven for thinking they'd score in that second half and twice we denied them with great last ditch efforts. As bad as we're attacking lately we're defending impressively.

As for the title of this thread. It's hard to argue. I get sick of hearing opposing fans talk us down but last night was another example of exactly why they do. We need to get more ruthless, we simply must be more clinical!

Melbourne have won 9 from 15, just like us, not just losing the ones where they were missing their rep players, so I don't think taking them out of the comp has hurt the playing standards.

@Geo. said:
Ah yes the standard of the competion is crap….Off course how stupid of me...

Why bother....just cancel season 2010.....start again in 2011....

Whoever wins it this year are false champions or fluked it.....

Fair dinkum .....is there any enjoyment at all Hybrid....Innk.... :unamused:

Not last night
But if you enjoy watching garbage thats your prerogative, easily pleased.
Some set the standard a little higher

The game is falling apart at the seams..
No wonder Finch and his corrupt mob have orders to cheat to keep the games tight as possible…
And it's not gonna get much better any time soon with funds being injected elsewhere. They have sucked the NRL bone dry...

We have played poorly all season. The comp is a bit low on standards. This Dragons team is one of the poorest minor premiership contenders I have ever seen. They should have scored 80 against us last week we were that poor.

What is amazing me is that our defence is pretty shoddy (missed tackles, not going up in a line, giving easy metres each tackle) yet teams struggle to score at us. I must admit that our scrmabling defence has been pretty impressive.

My old man (not a Tigers supporter) reckons that we are playing too shallow in attack. I am starting to think he may be right because our players tend to have no time with the ball - hence you get the crappy hand offs to a player standing still.

@innsaneink said:
Not last night
But if you enjoy watching garbage thats your prerogative, easily pleased.
Some set the standard a little higher

Of couse I have high Standards innk….I'm a Wests/Wests Tigers supporter.....

I enjoy watching every win.....Not a fan of quoting Gus...but the football God shined right up our backside for once....

You could have changed the channel....whenever you wanted.... :wink:

@innsaneink said:
Our position does not reflect our play, our team, our football. It reflects the state of the competition i guess to an extent….

Its false.

If the Broncos had their big three we'd have been slaughtered...it wouldve been another souths game.

Corey parker MotM.
Man that team song was vey embarrassing...

Agree totally, the fact were 3rd after not really playing our best at any stage this year says there are so many ordinary sides this season, in fact so far it's probably the worst season quality wise for some time.

I find it hard to disagree with ink.I'm happy for the win/wins,but far from impressed.

The standard of the NRL is inferior in comparison to previous seasons.Hard to believe with what
i've seen this year we're 3rd (atm) on the ladder.We are though,so from that standpoint i'm happy
to be there but don't see it as a true reflection.As Ron said ironic we'll make the 8 given the worst
we've played in 4 years.

I find it hard to argue that at this point we aren't pretenders.I've been waiting for us to shift up a
gear this year and play at a standard are/were capable of.The one out play in the forwards,that lack
of an enthusiastic kick chase and the lack of point scoring abilties.I'm sure the coaching staff have
addressed this though…hmmm lol

It's debatable my/our opinion on the coaching staff.In the past we've lost by small margins and subsequently
missed the final series.There has been alot of talk this year about "Grinding out the win".We're 3rd on
the ladder and winning the close ones.Maybe their right and i'm wrong.We're winning ugly with low patches
brilliance.Even our forwards have looked out played in every facet and we've won.Here was me thinking
we were getting run down because our forwards were exhausted from a preempt bench rotation.

I thought with Flokes on board we'd see our bench bolstered,higher fitness levels (which maybe the case),
more decoy running around the ruck (to give Farah options,forwards not isloated hitting it up and give the
halves space without the need of depth),a bench rotation based of the relevance of the game..hmmm even
2 props and 2 backrowers on the bench....no backs...and let Sheens work more work more on what we used
to do best....score points.Our general kicking and kick chase has always been a sore point with me..thought
with Flokes that would've improved also..

Sheens had some great tactics in '05 and we left teams at a stand still with our attack.It's now pale in
comparison and finals will be here soon.

I watched the game at a party last night. TV was on in the corner with no sound. While we were error prone when in possession I thought our win showed courage. We tackled hard and with desperation. We played mostly in our own half but took our chances when they came along. We were dudded by the refs. A compulsory penalty from the opening kickoff and then no more penalties until after the seventy minute mark while the Broncs received 6 straight. We played a solid team who we have a poor record against at an unfriendly venue in conditions that don't suit our style of play….and still prevailed.

Watched the replay today and listened to the ramblings of Gus and co. trying to tell me what to think. Seemed like a different game with them constantly bagging the Tigers.

Gus must have done his dough with TAB Sportsbet. He looked like he was sucking lemons after the game.

Good to see you back das….

You watching tonites game geo?
End to end excitement....will surely go down in rugby league folklore as one of THE great games

There are only 4 outcomes to any game besides draws:

Play well and win
Play well and lose
Play bad and win
Play bad and lose

We played bad, yet we won. Take the 2 points, put it in the bag and move on. If you can play poorly and still win, well there isn't a whole heaps to go nuts over.

@Cat&Fiddle said:
@innsaneink said:
@Cat&Fiddle said:
YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!
I think the keyboard warriors that bag the team have only only played rugby league on their Wii. :wink:

LOL….dont need to have played to comment - to voice an opinion, that really is an ignorant & dumb comment.
I take it you vote. I do. Do we need experience in politics to do so?
But yes, I have played a little
:deadhorse:

Ah ha - as I thought.
A little experience equals a lot of opinion all at the expense of the coach and team. It's amazing how a "little experience' at let me guess, primary school rugby leauge knock-out comps where you played reserve and never ran on, founds one's ability to bag NRL coaches and players.
Yeah, don't let your ability or experience get in the way of your mouth.

Terry Lamb, is that you?

Your childish "I know more about League than you do" posturing aside, I will say that I am happy we still came out with a win. We were missing Moltzen, Lui, Tuiaki, Ryan & Flanagan. Given they were missing Locky, Thaiday and Folau the majority of our players make up a large part of our attacking contingent. Someone mentioned previously that despite our dropped ball and all the possession going their way, they could only score twice. They say defence wins you games, and that was proven tonight.

Another plus is that Farah appears to be hitting his straps again, but we should be wary that we fall back into the same old routine that Robbie should be expected to hand us the game every week. It's great to see him taking control again, and he looking dangerous.

Does our position on the ladder flatter us? It may well do, but I think its more reflective of the competition. Again, as many have said before, we would have been flogged in previous years.

After following the Mighty Maggies year after year, loss after loss, I am thankful for two points. Be it by 60 - nil, or 7-6, I am very thankful that I now get to watch a team win some games.

@Snake said:
@hybrid_tiger said:
Our position just shows how mediocre the standard of this competition is. It's embarrassing.

How true is that statement …My wife and I spoke of the same thing after the game this season is very mediocre to say the least ..once the Storm were gone that was it the bar is set very low ...I mean the way we are playing and were 3rd ????

Just can't please some people. This time last year we were losing those sort of games and this forum was going ballistic.

If we did not deserve to win, then why were the broncos only 2 points ahead of us at the 78th minute, if they played so well, wow they should have been ahead by 20.

Granted that we played poorly, but we won. remember how you felt after the loss to parramatta last year that effectively ended our season, we played amazing but still lost, but yeah we were really happy that they played well and that made up for it,we felt elated didn't we….... NOT

The best is yet to come :wahoo:

@Tigermac said:
@Snake said:
@hybrid_tiger said:

Just can't please some people. This time last year we were losing those sort of games and this forum was going ballistic.

If we did not deserve to win, then why were the broncos only 2 points ahead of us at the 78th minute, if they played so well, wow they should have been ahead by 20.

Granted that we played poorly, but we won. remember how you felt after the loss to parramatta last year that effectively ended our season, we played amazing but still lost, but yeah we were really happy that they played well and that made up for it,we felt elated didn't we….... NOT

The best is yet to come :wahoo:

The thing is mac….we all know they can do so much more better, you know it, I know it...
You wanna win playing poor?
Or you wanna win playing good?
Thats the point so get off your damned high horse because some people want whats BEST!

Hey,I just wanna win.

I am not on my high horse, man they did play badly, but sorry, I hate the broncos with a passion, so beating them at suncorp in the last minute in front of their stupid screaming fans really made my week.

Go the Tigers

No worries mate.
Apologies
I too just want em to win, to do that playing well I dont think is too much to ask
But yes will take ugly ones too

Members online

Back