TEAM LIST Round 7 vs. Panthers

Team List
I agree somewhat with Solo but think about who he’s been up against in defence lately! They certainly didn’t get the upper hand or where even noticed.
Suli
Herbie
Penis-ini
Takarangi
Taka had a good game but the rest were barely noticed. Does say something about Solos defence, which goes unnoticed by most.
I agree it is not a criticism rather good planning by Benji to give the young players a rest and reset themselves. Solo has been very good for a QLD cup player to step up into the NRL untried and he will be better for the experience and if called upon throughout the year he will know what is needed.

Last edited:
I'm on a cruise to Hawaii so I haven't seen any footy for over a week so I rely on this forum for news etc. After reading the team we picked my oar just rose. I can't see us picking a better side.
Muffstar,

I just spent two weeks in Hawaii .You can download NRL Live App if you have the internet and pay $24 AUD for a weeks pass that will allow you to watch all NRL Games live as well as download them to watch later. You can cancel after the week for no more cost if that helps. Have a great cruise.

Just curious

Who got axed?

As far as I'm aware players that were injured or suspended have come back into the team and the players who replaced dropped back our of the team

Not being smart

Serious observation

I think people are suggesting Faataape and Sullivan have both been dropped back to reggies. The other changes are strictly making way in the 17 for Bateman & Sam Fainu, Galvin and Latu as well.
Certainly IMO our best 17. My only concern is Latu back in NRL too early. I’d like to see him play a few full games in KOE. Not sure why Benji doesn’t like Simpkin at 14 (only thing I can think is that Simpkin doesn’t provide the utility value that Latu does).

Logical team those omitted from the 17 vs Dragons I agree with
About time Naden back and Bateman and Samuela Fainu welcome back and Galvin of course .
Only minor concern is that I don't think Latu quite ready for NRL yet and wonder if Simpkin would be handy on the bench as Api seems to be playing with niggles and might need a 15 min spell .
Toa due back next week but if Naden plays well there is no center spot for him but he might be alternative to Staines

Last year at country venue we beat a full strength Panthers in pouring rain with incredible ball security and 90% + completion .Interesting some who starred that night included
Brooks ,Wakeham and Nofoaloma ! How times have changed
At least Api is still there to weave his magic

Copped two $1000 fines but no suspension.

I know it’s a drop in the bucket for these guys but do the players pay this? Or the club?

I wonder if the club pays it, it’s part of the salary cap or if the player pays it they can claim it as a tax deduction. It’s not a legal penalty and part of his daily work.

Telstra Premiership - Round 7 vs. Panthers

Saturday, April 20 - 3:00 p.m. AEST
Carrington Park, Bathurst

WESTS TIGERS

1. Jahream Bula
2. Charlie Staines
3. Brent Naden
4. Justin Olam
5. Junior Tupou
6. Lachlan Galvin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Stefano Utoikamanu
9. Apisai Koroisau (c)
10. David Klemmer
11. Isaiah Papali'i
12. John Bateman
13. Fonua Pole

14. Latu Fainu
15. Alex Twal
16. Alex Seyfarth
17. Samuela Fainu

18. Justin Matamua
19. Asu Kepaoa
20. Solomon Alaimalo
21. Jake Simpkin
22. Sione Fainu
Coach: Benji Marshall

INS: Brent Naden, Lachlan Galvin, John Bateman, Latu Fainu, Samuela Fainu

OUTS: Solomona Faataape (NSW Cup), Jayden Sullivan (NSW Cup), Jake Simpkin (NSW Cup), Asu Kepaoa (NSW Cup), Justin Matamua
Amazed Klemmer didnt cop a suspension... anyway. Our best possible 17 IMO and we always seem to lift against the Riff. Penrith are still a phenomenal side even without Cleary though, turn up with the same attitude and intensity as last week and we get spanked (I dont think they will).

Muffstar,

I just spent two weeks in Hawaii .You can download NRL Live App if you have the internet and pay $24 AUD for a weeks pass that will allow you to watch all NRL Games live as well as download them to watch later. You can cancel after the week for no more cost if that helps. Have a great cruise.

Thanks mate, will check it out. They show the odd game on the ship which is good.

Copped two $1000 fines but no suspension.
It’s a bit contradictory when they are so strict on head contact these days. Doesn’t take much to get binned or be put on report. Yet at the same time, most players end up getting a fine.

Stoked to see Banji make the hard calls and drop Sullivan.

Hope Naden plays well but the whole team looks better.
Probably not a hard call, probably a call Benji would have made last week if Lachlan Galvin and Latu Fainu were available for selection.

Good to see Naden back in the team after a very long absence, hope he keeps a cool head and has a blinder.

I agree it is not a criticism rather good planning by Benji to give the young players a rest and reset themselves. Solo has been very good for a QLD cup player to step up into the NRL untired and he will be better for the experience and if called upon throughout the year he will know what is needed.
Agreed, good for a rest and refocus.

Latest posts

Members online

Back