SACRILEGE!

Chadman_s_Ghost

I'll probably get hung out to dry for saying this, but….

Heighington has been out a few weeks now....

Yet there has been little, if ANY, drop-off in the level of play since then.

In fact, I thought Danny Galea did Heighington's job pretty well yesterday.

Galea would be on a fair bit less than Heighington wouldn't he? I wonder if the difference in their wages could add up to an above-average prop....

Sorry mate, can't agree.

He is a solid player, but no Heighington. Even with Heighington's drop in form this year he still makes 100+ metres and 35+ tackles.

I'd be getting rid of Payten before either of these two blokes though.

I won't hang you out…........my old man has been saying the same thing. He reckons when Heighno is out, we go okay. Might be something to do with the others knowing they have to step up in D when Heighno is out, and dropping off in D when he is playing there cause they know he will cover.

I reckon Galea had a great game. I rate Heighno, but I'd like to see our win/loss record with him in/out.

@steven_tiger said:
Sorry mate, can't agree.

He is a solid player, but no Heighington. Even with Heighington's drop in form this year he still makes 100+ metres and 35+ tackles.

I'd be getting rid of Payten before either of these two blokes though.

I agree that Payten has to go.

With Dwyer, Schirnack & Mataka coming through, and with Laurie to move into the backrow…and possibly Ayshford with all the new outside back signings...

our backrow is looking crowded.

Just wondering what offers better 'value for money'- Heighington or say Ben Ross/Scott Logan/ Fui Fui Moi Moi etc

It looks like Heighno is heading elsewhere after his current contract expires anyway. I wouldn't be letting him go earlier, that's for sure.

It's a shame he couldn't sustain last year's form, because Bellamy said he would look closely at him for Origin.

I'd be picking Heighno ahead of Galea and Payten. Both of them have been pretty ineffective the last few weeks.

Payten has been disappointing. Not enough go forward for a typical prop and not enough creative stuff for his previous style of play. Can't agree about Heighington. Early in the year his run and tackle stats were through the roof. Galea is very professional player who does his job but I think he's a better bench forward. Can't fault his play lately though.

Heighington's form hasnt been great this year up until injury but he would still be one of my first picks for the team when available. i dont understand the Galea bashing i think the guy has played quite well when he has.

Nothing against Galea because he's a solid defender, but I'd take Heighno anyday. He consistently makes over 100 metres in attack per match while Galea is lucky to get 60 metres. As it is, Galea is off contract and yet to be re-signed and I'm not confident he will be re-signed. The Tigers have a heap of backrowers all vying for spots next season. Sheens has already stated he wants to use Laurie as a wide running backrower, so that's one. Mataka looks a likely prospect and Dywer will certainly figure next season. Then there is the Schirnack brothers, David Gower and Nu Akeripa, all who have talent and will be pushing for spots in the top 25 next season.

@steven_tiger said:
It looks like Heighno is heading elsewhere after his current contract expires anyway. I wouldn't be letting him go earlier, that's for sure.

It's a shame he couldn't sustain last year's form, because Bellamy said he would look closely at him for Origin.

where do some of you guys get your info?
chris is a through and through tiger,,, he has no ambitions of going anywhere,,, talk to the guy and youll hear it in his voice he is a full on passionate tiger ….
if he wasnt he would have signed with the dragons and would be a blues representative.....

I just wonder if you missed my point a little…

It's not the comparison between Heighington & Galea that I'm looking at. I think Galea is solid, nothing spectacular, but solid. And while Heighington has been out, I don't know about you guys, but I haven't thought "We'd have won that with Heighington out there". The drop-off in the play without Heighington has not been that great. So much so that a pretty average player like Galea has been able to step in without us feeling the effects to badly.

My point was- would the Tigers be better off dropping Heighington's contract size & replacing him with a guy like Galea, then using the savings on an upgrade over a prop- say a Todd Payten for arguments sake. Would an upgrade in the front row be of more use than Heighington's contribution?

Don't get me wrong- I've always loved Heighington since he came into first grade. BUT......I'm thinking Shirnack or Dwyer or Galea might be able to do his job, and we could use the savings to spend on a 'big time' prop.

Just a thought.

I think Galea has played well of late, but there is no way we should let go of a 'win at all costs' player like Heighno.

@tiger tigers said:
@steven_tiger said:

where do some of you guys get your info?
chris is a through and through tiger,,, he has no ambitions of going anywhere,,, talk to the guy and youll hear it in his voice he is a full on passionate tiger ….
if he wasnt he would have signed with the dragons and would be a blues representative.....

I probably worded that wrong.

It's not secret the Central Coast want his as their marquee signing, and will probabaly pay him hansomly to go there.

The first sentence I wrote was not worded correctly.

Heighington is a very underrated player in the NRL but he is also very overrated by Wests Tigers fans. Should we let Heigho go? No! Should Heigho work his way back into first grade through reserves (or whatever its called these days), yes. He will come back a better and more determined player.

I've been concerned about Heighno form for a while. I just think he plays for stats in attack. He almost never passes the ball and gets in the way of the ball going straight to our centres and wingers. He doesn't run angles into gaps anymore, he just engages the defence and legdrives forward. This is OK, but he used to be a much more dangerous runner with the ball.

To me, the guy is a great Tiger and I wouldn't drop him, but I think the rest might do him some good.

Heighington is a better player than Payten and Galea. In saying that, his loss has not seemed to have hurt anywhere near as much as Galloway or Lawrence. Payne and Galea have stepped up to cover. Payten on the other hand has still been ok without being great at all this year.

@Paris Cobbs said:
I've been concerned about Heighno form for a while. I just think he plays for stats in attack. He almost never passes the ball and gets in the way of the ball going straight to our centres and wingers. He doesn't run angles into gaps anymore, he just engages the defence and legdrives forward. This is OK, but he used to be a much more dangerous runner with the ball.

To me, the guy is a great Tiger and I wouldn't drop him, but I think the rest might do him some good.

Hmmm…..you see, I'm NOT concerned at all about Heighington's form- he's a very consistant performer. It wasn't the point of the thread.

As good as he is at what he does- would the Tigers be better off investing that money into a better PROP?

The Galea/Heighington comparison is redundant- Heighington is clearly the better player. My point was that despite the drop-off in quality of the player- the Tigers have felt little impact.

Compare that to the impact of losing a player like Galloway.

Money spent on a Galloway type prop would, in my opinion, be money well spent. But it would have to come at a cost in these salary cap days. I'm merely pointing out that I believe Heighington is expendable- and perhaps the Tigers over paid for the return?

It's not secret the Central Coast want his as their marquee signing, and will probabaly pay him hansomly to go there.

IF they have a team by then. And that's a massive IF.

@Chadman's Ghost said:
I'll probably get hung out to dry for saying this, but….

Heighington has been out a few weeks now....

Yet there has been little, if ANY, drop-off in the level of play since then.

In fact, I thought Danny Galea did Heighington's job pretty well yesterday.

Galea would be on a fair bit less than Heighington wouldn't he? I wonder if the difference in their wages could add up to an above-average prop....

Heighno shouldnt be in the side when fit. Im not saying he's crap, im just saying his style doesnt suit us and we are much better served having backrowers who can run good lines. Robbie, Benji and Moltzen would be loving having the like of Ellis, Galea and Dwyer hitting the edges. Throw in Gower and Akeripa and i have no room for Heigno. His workrate is easily covered by Ellis and Galea, so we lose nothing there but gain in attack. Maybe Bradford will take Heighno in a swap for Burgess, that would be nice.

Latest posts

Back