Sheen has worn off the Tigers

G

Sheen has worn off the Tigers
By Phil Rothfield From: The Daily Telegraph May 18, 2010 12:00AM
\
\
SIX weeks ago the Wests Tigers signed coach Tim Sheens to a new contract. Chief executive Stephen Humphreys was worried about rumours linking him to South Sydney, which is surprising considering Rabbitohs coach John Lang has beaten Sheens an amazing 17 games in a row.

The Tigers are now stuck with a veteran coach who has made the finals only once in his last 13 years in the NRL.

So the question has to be asked. Why did Humphreys go to his board and rush through the Sheens renewal so early in the season?

Sure, the Tigers got off to a blazing start amid all the excitement about Lote Tuqiri and many were even predicting they were capable of winning the premiership.

The fact is they've now lost four straight since Sheens signed the new contract, including the capitulation to South Sydney at the SCG on Sunday.

Some longtime supporters - and I'm including those from Balmain and Western Suburbs - are rating it the most pathetic and pitiful surrender of two competition points in a long and proud history.

Superstar five-eighth Benji Marshall is very close to Sheens - some say too close - and was pushing heavily behind the scenes for the coach to get his new contract.

So too was one of Sheens' longtime mates - a veteran journalist - who was the first to start and write about the rumours of the Test coach having interest from other clubs including the Rabbitohs.

Benji carries huge influence at the Tigers. He used to have an option in his deal that his contract was null and void if Sheens ever left the club. That clause is no longer there but Humphreys is always mindful of not upsetting his biggest name and the man who sells more merchandising than any other player.

Sure, the Tigers have now fined Benji for being late to a recent training session but it was hardly a first offence. Last year he was photographed in a fight at a Kings Cross nightclub in the early hours of a Sunday morning at a time when the rest of the team was abiding by a club booze ban.

And the punishment? Nothing.

No one wanted to upset the superstar player, particularly as they were about to sit down for negotiations to extend his contract.

You see, Benji has always run his own race at the Tigers. The club and its sponsors and fans have been robbed of thousands and thousands of dollars worth of publicity because he refuses to do set-up photographs with this newspaper - even on the eve of big games - since the picture was published of him in Kings Cross when he was supposed to be off the grog.

But back to Sheens and let's look at his record. Sure, he won the 2005 premiership with a team that was about $400,000 under the salary cap. It was without doubt his greatest career triumph.

But take 2005 out of the equation and his record is by far the worst of any coach in the NRL over the past 13 years in making the finals only once in that period.

It's certainly a recent record that didn't warrant Humphreys' rushed extension six weeks ago.

And there can be no excuses about the Tigers being under-resourced in the coaching ranks because no other club that I can recall has ever had three first-grade coaches at the one time in Sheens, Steve Folkes and Royce Simmons.

Coinciding with the Tigers' winless month is the poor form of Benji at five-eighth. In the past four rounds he's made only one linebreak and is averaging only 43 metres per game compared to almost 100 metres a game in the opening five rounds.

It will be interesting to see what Sheens does to get Benji back to his best.

It's hard to be hard on someone who carries so much influence.

Interesting, here's hoping all this talk in the papers actually gets something a little more positive happening and Benji's form has been getting worse since the fine too by the looks.

It's good to see that it is not only us fans questioning things at the club now. I fear we will sink lower yet before starting to climb out of this mess.

99% of the time Rothfield has no idea, but he does have a point this time. Not all is well at Concord and the Tigers need to do something to fix it.

I don't like Rothfield but he's the ONLY journalist in the media who has ever questioned Sheens' poor record and performance.

Who is the journalist who is mates with Sheens? Someone from the Herald I assume?

I don't care if some in the media have an axe to grind it,s good to have some support for once.

I will start reading the telegraph again after that article! :stuck_out_tongue:

I can't believe they published that…...well done telegraph! :wink:

Just made my morning! :smiley:

At least pink cheeks highlights his short comings. Lets see if any others in the media begin to question his coaching.

It was a article written by a bloke who is looking for revenge. The big get square because both Sheens and Marshall have given him the flick.

In saying all that its good to see the spot light being pointed our way and a lot he said had merit. The only trouble most of it will be dismissed by the Tigers heir achy as just a get square by a jurno that has a big chip on his shoulders

What a loaded article…It5's clear that Rothfield has had his big fat ego bruised by the Tigers and Benji in particular!..This article is cr*p and has been written with the sole purpose to stir the pot within the Tigers ranks!..Take no notice of rubbish journalism like this. It has been written by a pompous punce!

regardless of his intentions for writing it - it is no different to to the intentions of other media being bias in favour of Sheens. It is refreshing to see some questions raised about the results Sheens gets from this team.

@alexaki said:
What a loaded article…It5's clear that Rothfield has had his big fat ego bruised by the Tigers and Benji in particular!..This article is cr*p and has been written with the sole purpose to stir the pot within the Tigers ranks!..Take no notice of rubbish journalism like this. It has been written by a pompous punce!

But it's true, and people need to know about it.

Frank of NQ Posted at 6:08 AM Today
>
I think what we have here is another girly girl effort by an administrator driving a wedge between players. If senior players were to be consulted regarding an appropriate fine for Benjie, then why wasn't he included in the meeting? Whose ego took a hit by Benjie being late? The same person who asked the question and garnered support from other players no doubt. This is a team sport and team morale is at the heart of victory. This administrator believes there is something more important than victory, obviously. Further, it appears to me the Tigers will not reproduce winning form until they all confront this individual and tell him 'butt out'!

This is a punters comment from the tele article.
It sounds to me like it was written by someone close to the team.
If it was there must be something going on.
Please tell me I'm wrong.

@alexaki said:

I see where your coming from alexaki.I can't stand that rosie cheecked maggot but I think he has got it right on this occasion.
1.I believe he is way too close to Benji, giving Benji the impression that he is untouchable
2.I believe Humphreys was wrong to rush out & secure Sheens for another season.So what if souths were after him.The should waited until at least round 20
3.& you really cant argue with the facts.Leave 2005 out,that is a shocking record

Im just hoping that these negative articles are motivation enough to change our mentality & we can finally play as a team again starting this FRIDAY night.

Rothfield supports ricky stuart at cronulla and hes made that clear in other articles hes written.Why not question his record or some bad publicity for the club he follows.

The guys a wally he always has a swipe at someone he doesnt like.

How many times does he write things about gould and vautin in the sunday paper.Almost every week and this sundays paper will be no different.

But as i said on another post this 40 point loss some good things may come out of it.

@tiger4ever said:
Rothfield supports ricky stuart at cronulla and hes made that clear in other articles hes written.Why not question his record or some bad publicity for the club he follows.

The guys a wally he always has a swipe at someone he doesnt like.

How many times does he write things about gould and vautin in the sunday paper.Almost every week and this sundays paper will be no different.

But as i said on another post this 40 point loss some good things may come out of it.

Rothfield has an agenda (just like everyone else in the media) and I don't think too much of his views. He also changes his mind every five minutes, he names an Origin team one week with Farah at hooker and captain, then two weeks later he names his "new" team with Ennis there. But most of his blogs and articles are designed for one thing and one thing only and that is to get a reaction. He writes controversial blogs to stir up opinion so he gets hits for his blogs - and guess what, it works. People get all worked up and they go and abuse him on his websites - that's his job and he does it well.

As much as Rothfield is an idiot he is the only person that has ever come out and questioned Sheens' record. Sure behind it there is an agenda (Benji not having a good relationship with the Tele) but I don't care. It's about time questions were asked.

Back