Sheens and benji

chopper

After watching today I really feel Tim sheens ruined benjis nrl career
By trying to turn him into a leader and an organizer like a brad fittler, I think it just bogged him down.
Like today, he was always at his best when he is out wide and just plays what ever is in front of him, no thinking!
Today is the benji I have been wanting for. To bad It has come so late

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

@chopper said:
After watching today I really feel Tim sheens ruined benjis nrl career
By trying to turn him into a leader and an organizer like a brad fittler, I think it just bogged him down.
Like today, he was always at his best when he is out wide and just plays what ever is in front of him, no thinking!
Today is the benji I have been wanting for. To bad It has come so late

Thing is though, he was a leader and organizer of sorts last year. You don't lead the league in try assists without being a fantastic playmaker. I think the transition between Sheens and Potter killed him, the coaching change was too drastic, and he wasn't given to opportunity to take the back seat and go back to what came very naturally to him

I do sometimes wonder how Benji may have developed had he been under Bellamy or Bennett. They are all massive "what it's" now. No point looking back if you're either party. Time to look ahead.

Benji's excellent performance today just further emphasises how idiotic Sheens was trying to turn him into a controlling halfback all these years.

Tell him to run the ball, do little to no general play kicking and have no hand in organising the team and he will thrive. So sad watching him try and be a controlling halfback. Never, ever his game and today just proved it.

Yep Sheens really stunted his career, how can a naturally unpredictable player learn to organise a team?

Just about everyone on the forum was screaming for Benji to be wider of the ruck.

@wtigers said:
Thing is though, he was a leader and organizer of sorts last year. You don't lead the league in try assists without being a fantastic playmaker.

He had some great games playing at 7 and this was a one off game. Its pretty hard to state definitively what could have been. I'd also state that this year has been Benji's worst.

@stevetiger said:
@wtigers said:
Thing is though, he was a leader and organizer of sorts last year. You don't lead the league in try assists without being a fantastic playmaker.

He had some great games playing at 7 and this was a one off game. Its pretty hard to state definitively what could have been. I'd also state that this year has been Benji's worst.

I was thinking the same thing. Whether trying to make him a 7 was the right decision or not, one game against a bottom 3 side if hardly proof either way.

Its not true. Sheens just couldn't find a 7\. After Prince left….John Morris - fail, 10 others - fail and then when Lui looked to be the answer it turned out to be a disaster.

Benji's failure to mature and adapt his game was his own fault.

what a shame benji could not pull his head in and see what is ahead in the next 2 years , with young brooks coming into the team next year, and a better forward pack benji could still have been a star and earning $800,000 a season. what could have been brooks doing the foot work and benji doing what he did best running.
now he goes to NZ for $450,00 a season and has too up root his and his wifes lives because he thinks he is bigger the the club, what a shame.

Im sad benjis time if coming to an end the way it is, but Im glad there is a new fresh start with Brooks, and he wont have to deal with Marshall dominating stifling and suffocating him as Benji has done with everyone else

If youre going to cut it off - dont leave it dangling, cut it off completely

I thought Benji played with a lot of passion today.

I'm happy for him as his legacy deserves much more than where it has been heading for the majority of this season.

He ran today for 120-130 metres which is virtually unheard of these days for him.

Hope he gives it his all over the next two weeks so he can leave the club with his pride and legacy intact.

10-20 years from now it would be nice that when Benji pops into the WT club or ground that he is looked apon as a former great that he was and with respect and affection.

Benji Marshall where has this been all year? What is it about today that made you put in a proper dig - pressure off, preferred position, poor opposition?

All the nay-sayers saying Potter was nuts putting Benji in the centres; I hear crickets now.

@jirskyr said:
Benji Marshall where has this been all year? What is it about today that made you put in a proper dig - pressure off, preferred position, poor opposition?

All the nay-sayers saying Potter was nuts putting Benji in the centres; I hear crickets now.

He had space yesterday. He got the ball with space & didn't have to worry about organizing anything.

All benji Marshall needed was a proper halfback . When we had prince , benji was a freak. Then with prince gone and years of no 7 we couldn't make the finals. Lets not forget benji copped a couple of major injuries in that same period. Then 2010/11 we had half a 7 in Robert lui. We came 3rd and 4th and a bees dick away from a premiership. Marshall was also touted as the worlds best player at the time. We then lose Lui and benji's game goes backwards as sheens try's to convert benji into a 7\. So as per original post I absolutely agree in that sheens/tigers have buggered benji's career. I have no doubt that if benji had a proper half all these years, he would've been one of the greatest players of all time.

You'd think Benji would've known this about himself, told the coach no and demanded they buy a proper half instead of trying to fit into a position he didn't feel right in. Unless he saw it as a challenge, but surely after a while he could see it wasn't beneficial to the team. Perhaps we can partly blame Sheens for trying to make Benji into an organising half, but with their open relationship, I reckon Benji would've had every opportunity to knock the idea on the head if he wanted to, so he really has no one but himself to blame in the end.

Yawn…another Benji thread.....what is it 2 weeks to go..... :slight_smile:

The lack of consequence hurt more then any halfback issues for mine.

@bp tiger said:
what a shame benji could not pull his head in and see what is ahead in the next 2 years , with young brooks coming into the team next year, and a better forward pack benji could still have been a star and earning $800,000 a season. what could have been brooks doing the foot work and benji doing what he did best running.
now he goes to NZ for $450,00 a season and has too up root his and his wifes lives because he thinks he is bigger the the club, what a shame.

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind up rooting benji's wife

Members online

Back