Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

The funniest thing is I’ve seen people on here bag Ken, but he’s consistently our best and at worst top 3 metre makers and every carry he takes, he makes post contact metres, if we didn’t have metre eater wingers we’d be lucky to make our 30m line.
Spot on, our 2 wingers are not even in the top 5 positions we need to fix first

Listening to Benji I heard him say every team has a CEO,
that's a Chief Energy Officer.
Who's ours.
Hastings maybe voice wise but I wouldn't call him a Jack in the Box.
Do we need one? Someone who is hyperactive to rev the boys up and lead us with his action.

The issue yesterday was the poor execution of the game plan as opposed the forwards not doing their job. They were in position two wide but rarely got the ball. This was a halves problem yesterday more than anything. I'm not saying our forwards are great but I'm pretty sure the game plan was to attack the edges with mobile forwards - not four hitups with the outside backs followed by a shot at the edge and a kick. When they got it right they made yards - they just didn't get much of it right.

Agreed and I expect this is what Noddy asked for based on the location of the forwards on the paddock in attack. It certainly isn't what he got. Noffa and Ken were so predictable with the hitups that the markers and A defenders had a field day. Once we stop tripping over ourselves or running behind our decoys in attack we might get a little better.

What I didn't see from our halves was any attempt to go to the line and cut the forwards out to get our centres at the committed defence.

Good plan - shit execution me thinks!
I think it’s a bit harsh on the halves to execute a plan when there’s no continuity in the team, pretty sure combinations went something like the following:

1st Quarter of game
7- Hastings
6-Brooks
9-Brown

2nd Quarter of game
7-Hastings
6-Douehi
9-Brooks

3rd Quarter of game
7-Hastings
6-Douehi
9-Brooks

4th Quarter of game
7/6/13- Hastings / Brooks / Douehi
9-Brown

When we had them all on the park at the same time attack looked really disjointed. I don’t know any team that would chop around their playmakers so much in a game like we do.

Players need to know their role and that’s especially important in the halves, that’s why the Storm have been so successful, give players a simple role to play and have them execute that within the game plan.

Listening to Benji I heard him say every team has a CEO,
that's a Chief Energy Officer.
Who's ours.
Hastings maybe voice wise but I wouldn't call him a Jack in the Box.
Do we need one? Someone who is hyperactive to rev the boys up and lead us with his action.
Probably was Luciano but he was also CFO - chief fast-food officer

I think it’s a bit harsh on the halves to execute a plan when there’s no continuity in the team, pretty sure combinations went something like the following:

1st Quarter of game
7- Hastings
6-Brooks
9-Brown

2nd Quarter of game
7-Hastings
6-Douehi
9-Brooks

3rd Quarter of game
7-Hastings
6-Douehi
9-Brooks

4th Quarter of game
7/6/13- Hastings / Brooks / Douehi
9-Brown

When we had them all on the park at the same time attack looked really disjointed. I don’t know any team that would chop around their playmakers so much in a game like we do.

Players need to know their role and that’s especially important in the halves, that’s why the Storm have been so successful, give players a simple role to play and have them execute that within the game plan.
Our spine will continue to look substandard all year while the real problems continues to fester.

I think it’s a bit harsh on the halves to execute a plan when there’s no continuity in the team,
You're right, chopping the hooker and halves in and out provides no continuity. Having said that none of the combinations executed the plan well. It was the team that couldn't execute the plan but a lot of it comes down the the halves as they were responsible for getting the ball to the right players at the right time.

Forwards were running two wide but didn't get the ball from the halves
Outside backs were taking 4 hitups because the halves didn't get the ball from the ruck

There was a game plan but we didn't execute it well. Hard to change it all up mid season. We have no depth so for the rest of the year we can do nothing but give them time to work on it.

Don’t disagree with that but I do feel for the halves when they had no consistency throughout the match.
Yep. Can’t be good for our highest paid player, whose confidence is absolutely shot from years of being the whipping boy amidst so many cock ups.

You're right, chopping the hooker and halves in and out provides no continuity. Having said that none of the combinations executed the plan well. It was the team that couldn't execute the plan but a lot of it comes down the the halves as they were responsible for getting the ball to the right players at the right time.

Forwards were running two wide but didn't get the ball from the halves
Outside backs were taking 4 hitups because the halves didn't get the ball from the ruck

There was a game plan but we didn't execute it well. Hard to change it all up mid season. We have no depth so for the rest of the year we can do nothing but give them time to work on it.
Agree with your assessment but reading your previous posts (you probably know better than I do) but throughout a match playmakers get a “feel” for the game and how it’s playing out.

They work out weaknesses in the defence and come up with ideas throughout to execute the game plan. When halves are moved so frequently they lose that “feel”.

We need to pick a halves combination for a game and let them play out the match.

If our forwards can't punch through the line then we need to promote the ball and chew the metres with 2nd phase play, yet our 2nd phase is nonexistent
You need one with the other. A flat running forward pack won’t make space for any offloads or if they do manage to offload at the line the speed of play will ensure the forwards don’t get too far up the field.

Best we have looked mid field all year was against the dragons.
We’ve gone backwards in every facet since that game.

We need to pick a halves combination for a game and let them play out the match.
Too right.

The way our halves chopped and changed yesterday was probably an indication of how frustrated Noddy was. You would think it would be a pretty simple plan for a FG team to execute. You can see they were trying - AD probably got the best result. Him and Seyfarth running into the same space at the same time is an indication that the timing is out. The ill discipline in the first half resulted in a huge amount of defence that would have drained them in attack. Lots of little things add up.

There are clear indications that noddy is changing things - we didn't execute them well yesterday. Doesn't mean that the incremental changes won't result in success before the years end. We have to give him room to move and not call for his head every time it goes pear shaped.

Last edited:
I like to see our first 2-3 hits ups from forwards 2-3 wide of the ruck, left then right. We have to make our hit ups less predictable.
By taking the hit ups wider, it forces them to run faster and harder.
We did this a couple of time yesterday and made ground easily, then they stopped and were easy pickings often being tackled by the markers.
Agree & even the early stretch to the edge on a compressed defence. It stops them compressing the middle & opens up meters inside.

Too right.

The way our halves chopped and changed yesterday was probably an indication of how frustrated Noddy was. You would think it would be a pretty simple plan for a FG team to execute. You can see they were trying - AD probably got the best result. Him and Seyfarth running into the same space at the same time is an indication that the timing is out. The ill discipline in the first half resulted in a huge amount of defence that would have drained them in attack. Lots of little things add up.

There are clear indications that noddy is changing things - we didn't execute them well yesterday. Doesn't mean that the incremental changes won't result in success before they years end. We have to give him room to move and not call for his head every time it goes pear shaped.
I think you nailed it there mate, timing!!

When combinations are changing not only week to week but within a match what chance do they have to get any timing.

You need one with the other. A flat running forward pack won’t make space for any offloads or if they do manage to offload at the line the speed of play will ensure the forwards don’t get too far up the field.

Best we have looked mid field all year was against the dragons.
We’ve gone backwards in every facet since that game.
Very true, I have no idea why our forwards are so flat at the line, I get wanting to make metres over the advantage line but when we get the ball at the line and flat footed we won't chew through the metres, not to mention if there's no depth, no support runners then it's just easy picking for the defence, we need to make teams use more juice in defence, just by supporting a ball carrier u keep a defender in 2 minds.

Back