Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Don’t agree, we were always heading south with Madge as our coach it was all there for everyone to see. We had dropped two spots every year Fadge was in charge, so no surprise we took this years spoon. If IP and his manager did not realise that then they are just plain dumb, and deserve to be where they are. They should just shut up and cop it, be part of making us better not bringing us down! There’s an old saying buyer beware!
It’s that scum club the river slugs causing or this unrest, like they have with several players over the years, hope they lose this week, always hated them but now they are right up there with my most hated clubs!!
What ever Maguire/co was selling last year rightly or wrongly two of the best available signed up.
To date whatever the club/Sheens is selling, our results and next years outlook is attracting very little interest.
We are all wiser after hindsight and IP signed a contract. But it's hardly surprising that he is demonstrating a level of regret while in career best form - and this year's performance by the club since he signed could only have heightened that.

What ever Maguire/co was selling last year rightly or wrongly two of the best available signed up.
To date whatever the club/Sheens is selling, our results and next years outlook is attracting very little interest.
We are all wiser after hindsight and IP signed a contract. But it's hardly surprising that he is demonstrating a level of regret while in career best form - and this year's performance by the club since he signed could only have heightened that.
We should get Madge back as contracts administrator to sign new players coz if he could sell the crap he was dishing up then he can sell the new crap.

Don’t agree, we were always heading south with Madge as our coach it was all there for everyone to see. We had dropped two spots every year Fadge was in charge, so no surprise we took this years spoon. If IP and his manager did not realise that then they are just plain dumb, and deserve to be where they are. They should just shut up and cop it, be part of making us better not bringing us down! There’s an old saying buyer beware!
It’s that scum club the river slugs causing or this unrest, like they have with several players over the years, hope they lose this week, always hated them but now they are right up there with my most hated clubs!!
It is very unfair to hang the spoon on Madge, particularly when he had no control over that outcome.
We were told the season was a write off as we sent players to other clubs. Gardiner had to go too, because he showed some coaching talent.
If we get the spoon again in 23 will that be on Madge as well?

It is very unfair to hang the spoon on Madge, particularly when he had no control over that outcome.
We were told the season was a write off as we sent players to other clubs. Gardiner had to go too, because he showed some coaching talent.

What coaching talent did Gardiner show this year?

Our attack was the worst it has ever been & he wasn't just coaching on the sideline he was on the field most games as a "trainer" directing structures. It was one of our worst attacking years ever. We looked totally lost.

Our attack was the worst it has ever been & he wasn't just coaching on the sideline he was on the field most games as a "trainer" directing structures. It was one of our worst attacking years ever. We looked totally lost.
I thought Ben Gardiner was one of our best coaches. He had the Magpies running 2nd to Panthers after 18 rounds before the KOE was suspended. I thought the NRL players responded to him better than they did Noddy.
When he got demoted to blue shirt, he took on a completely different role as a messenger.

It's weird how we all see things differently.
I thought Gards was good for the club. Got the young fellas up in a grandfinal and nearly got a win in controversial circumstances when Noddy got COVID.
I was amazed he didn't get the gig when madge was released.
I'm hoping this experiment going forward will work. If it does it could be skies the limit.... if it doesn't I don't think we'll be surprised.

The "Sheens walks on water brigade" will blame Madge and everybody else rather than admit it was his ineptitude which allowed players to leave mid season and not replace them.Sheens has his paws all over the wooden spoon as do many others.2023 will probably be the biggest manure fight our club has ever had,in some ways i wish that i was not around to see it but i support and love my club and will still be there despite my expectations

I thought Ben Gardiner was one of our best coaches. He had the Magpies running 2nd to Panthers after 18 rounds before the KOE was suspended. I thought the NRL players responded to him better than they did Noddy.
When he got demoted to blue shirt, he took on a completely different role as a messenger.
Gardiner was running the training sessions I attended.

The "Sheens walks on water brigade" will blame Madge and everybody else rather than admit it was his ineptitude which allowed players to leave mid season and not replace them.Sheens has his paws all over the wooden spoon as do many others.2023 will probably be the biggest manure fight our club has ever had,in some ways i wish that i was not around to see it but i support and love my club and will still be there despite my expectations
It’s a shallow logic which holds us back. We think that all our problems are caused by one person and therefore it will be one person who will take us to the promise land. 😂 It’s ground hog day again, and we continue with the false hope. Not me anymore, I want to see evidence that we are rooting out the big issues and showing signs that we are focussed on winning at every level of the organisation, as well as on the field.
The only thing we seemed to have developed is a milking cow?

It’s gonna be a roller coaster mate. there will be some high highs and some low lows and a few loop the loops thrown in but I can guarantee it’s gonna be entertaining and isn’t that why we follow rugby league to be entertained? Go tigers

It’s a shallow logic which holds us back. We think that all our problems are caused by one person and therefore it will be one person who will take us to the promise land. 😂 It’s ground hog day again, and we continue with the false hope. Not me anymore, I want to see evidence that we are rooting out the big issues and showing signs that we are focussed on winning at every level of the organisation, as well as on the field.
The only thing we seemed to have developed is a milking cow?
Your right, usually in buisiness a monumental stuff up usually requires monumental changes especially if the stuffups happen all the time. If nothing is done the business goes broke.
Off the field the club is successful and they have been hanging their hat on that peg for sometime.
Now we have the wooden spoon, what action is it going to take to rewrite the ship. I'm like you 20/40, we want to see results and not talk...we are over excuses.

Lets be real he had 1 training session for the cowboys game and the players lifted the game after as well which Noddy ran all of those sessions. Noddy was also instructing Gardiner on the phone during the game (they both said so). I'm not getting caught up on that was all Gardiner. We had blips of 2 game spurts through the season. Gardiner was around the NRL team for a few years & we have gone backwards.

Gardiner was running out and at times you could see him directing the play at the back. Sure he was leading the msgs but he is an assistant as well.

He did coach the Magpies well in some ways in others he didn't, name a player who was ready to come into NRL side with same structures etc and developed onwards under him? Players went back to his side and most didn't come back to the NRL if they did.

People focus on the NSW cup table result but not actually the purpose of the NSW Cup Coach role, it isn't to finish 1st it's to get the structures and players coached ready to jump into NRL level.

I'm not saying he can't coach, perspective however on tangible results are important given we finished last.

It's weird how we all see things differently.
I thought Gards was good for the club. Got the young fellas up in a grandfinal and nearly got a win in controversial circumstances when Noddy got COVID.
I was amazed he didn't get the gig when madge was released.
I'm hoping this experiment going forward will work. If it does it could be skies the limit.... if it doesn't I don't think we'll be surprised.

I was very surprised he didn't get the gig over Noddy, he should've been the walk up starter.
I don't think he is a terrible coach, he has some talent.
However I don't rate him as high as others do because of how much of decline we have been over the years which he has played a part in & how bad a coached team we have looked.

Reactions: 851
Spooners can't knock back good players. The article today made the club look stupid (if true)
It shouldn't matter about Moses. Why annoys me is that the board or whoever is getting involved in the future coach plans.already. this is the same people that have gone through 5-6 coaches in the last few years.

Fair dinkum they should just pick the coach then put a sock in it.

It shouldn't matter about Moses. Why annoys me is that the board or whoever is getting involved in the future coach plans.already. this is the same people that have gone through 5-6 coaches in the last few years.

Fair dinkum they should just pick the coach then put a sock in it.
DT latest report said its not true.

Fully agree, Sheens allowed the spoon to happen. Sure they will say their focus is on next year and beyond which I have no doubts would take a bucket load of time however they didn't support Noddy how they should've. I know Noddy says he knew what he signed up for but no matter how they spin it, it was a shocking move all round.

I don't agree with Sheens being coach & Benji coming in afterwards just feels like groundhog day which we have done before but this time round he just won't reap the benefits + with a rookie coach it has never worked here.

Re Madge, loved his enthusiasm but his time was up our mode of operation was declining even further the longer he was running the side. Our structures and results are impacted by various things but he just wasn't delivering. He & his staff however shouldn't have been the only one's exited as our continued decline over the last few years are across the board.

The season was gone, done and dusted while Maguire was at the helm. Our trajectory under Maguire was down.

The season was gone, done and dusted while Maguire was at the helm. Our trajectory under Maguire was down.

2 points:-

1. It's hard to blame our current status on Madge. I think he made significant improvements in our recruitment and maybe even retention. Signing players like IP and Api may mean we were on the up.
2. Sheens decisions made us a significantly worse team this year. I don't think we get the spoon if Madge was retained and Luc and Nofo weren't released to other clubs.

At the same time Madge didn't get us to the finals and it's hard to retain the role if you aren't at least doing that.

We'll have to see what happens next season and the seasons following this one. I think we have a good number of juniors coming through and a decent team and cap position to build around.

If Sheens is actually making good decisions and he along with Benji and Robbie are better coaches than Madge we should make significant improvements.

We have to wait and see what happens.

Fully agree, Sheens allowed the spoon to happen. Sure they will say their focus is on next year and beyond which I have no doubts would take a bucket load of time however they didn't support Noddy how they should've. I know Noddy says he knew what he signed up for but no matter how they spin it, it was a shocking move all round.

I don't agree with Sheens being coach & Benji coming in afterwards just feels like groundhog day which we have done before but this time round he just won't reap the benefits + with a rookie coach it has never worked here.

Re Madge, loved his enthusiasm but his time was up our mode of operation was declining even further the longer he was running the side. Our structures and results are impacted by various things but he just wasn't delivering. He & his staff however shouldn't have been the only one's exited as our continued decline over the last few years are across the board.

I don't get the ground hog day comments when we've tried the other coach approach the past 10 years.

Sheens Marshall is a different approach.

Wouldn't it be ground hog day if they keept going through coaches?

Back