Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

One presumes there was a reason he was picked in ron massey cup all season despite the Magpies having an awful squad.
There is a big adjustment from Rabaul, to Nth Qld, to Brisbane and then Sydney. The change in environment, living conditions, communication, topography, language difficulties could overwhelm even the strongest individual.

He's played 1 state cup game. The hype train on some players round 'ere is hilarious.

Pump the brakes.

You saw our state cup wingers last year right?

He may never come on - But from what I've seen, he's worth a punt on...
Has a lot of attributes we just don't have - In any grade atm.

Could be anything, Could also be nothing....
Like the 20 or more nothings we've had as backup for the last 10 years.

Finally had a chance to look over our squad list released yesterday including train & trialists.
I compared to our squads down to Harold Matts last season and am very happy with our training list but these are the names I would have liked to have seen as well:

Liam Scolari
Jack Boyling (was highly regarded this season by some within the club)
Jimmy Ngutlik
Mikey Tannous
Henry O’Kane
James Valevatu (Jersey Flegg player of year)
Dudley Dotoi (electric outside back from SG Ball, from NQ)
Cathane Hill (Tigers fullback in SG Ball from NQ)
Chris Faagutu

Possibly Ngutlik, Tannous & O'Kane not included due to being on WC duty and giving Faagutu time to adjust through junior reps with us. And 19yos from Jersey Flegg this season likely retained in JF squad still to be announced.

Hoping @THE_POM or @CCTW can do some digging on the above!
Scolari is on a train and trial until Christmas at least. Jimmy is still at the world cup. Valevatu meh, the last three names should all be on train and trials over the off season, along with Tofaeno.

You saw our state cup wingers last year right?

He may never come on - But from what I've seen, he's worth a punt on...
Has a lot of attributes we just don't have - In any grade atm.

Could be anything, Could also be nothing....
Like the 20 or more nothings we've had as backup for the last 10 years.
I'm in complete agreeance.

My poke was at the hype train latched onto him (like Stevey boy asking on three occasions; 'BuT whEre wIlL JimMY NgutLiK Fit?!?!) after a laughably-small sample size, not the potential he may or may not have shown in that one game (to be fair, in 2 World Cup games also).

There is a tendency to get carried away with players, based on nothing, all too often.

It's a little silly is all.

You just never know.

Could be another PNG gem like Olam… or there could be reasons why he played this year in Ron Massey Cup that aren’t as evident based on two World Cup games.

I agree he shows some great physical attributes and athletic potential… but this forum also lost its collective mind this past pre-season when it thought Israel Ogden of all people had been released.

I’m sure the club already knows what he’s about more than we do.

You just never know.

Could be another PNG gem like Olam… or there could be reasons why he played this year in Ron Massey Cup that aren’t as evident based on two World Cup games.

I agree he shows some great physical attributes and athletic potential… but this forum also lost its collective mind this past pre-season when it thought Israel Ogden of all people had been released.

I’m sure the club already knows what he’s about more than we do.
Ogden had wraps, looked legitimate.
Watched him closely this year.

... no good.

I don't think Fifita fits what Sheens is building.

Look at the players (reportedly) coming in- Klemmer, Bateman, Brown, Api & Papali'i.

All these guys are known for their effort on field.

Fifita is known for his remarkable athletic traits. Tigers desperately need a mental upgrade. There's already an abundance of physically talented youngsters coming through. The team needs some fight.

Laurie needs to play through the middle a lot more, he seems to me to be a guy that doesn't start the season in peak fitness and builds throughout the year. We need him starting the season in peak fitness and playing through the middle.

I have him so far in front of AD as fullback .

Looks like he doesn't give a stuff to me man, Happy to be out there getting paid to run around.

Watching him jog along half pace behind the line watching a shift out wide for the opposing winger to score in the corner and him be barely in shot infuriates me....
No effort at all to get there.

Cody walker caught him about about 4 or 5 times last game
Alex Johnson is known for scoring tries....
Watching how far he was caught out time and time again in that game
- You'd think he knew nothing of the game and had never watched his uncle play before.

considering they've reportedly only offered him a year, I might not be the only one that doesn't see anything in him.

I don't think Fifita fits what Sheens is building.

Look at the players (reportedly) coming in- Klemmer, Bateman, Brown, Api & Papali'i.

All these guys are known for their effort on field.

Fifita is known for his remarkable athletic traits. Tigers desperately need a mental upgrade. There's already an abundance of physically talented youngsters coming through. The team needs some fight.
It's a fair point. I just think there is still a lack of strike and depth across the squad in general but particularly on the edges. Papalii and Bateman are a great start of you look at them for replacements for garner and Leilua.

However consideration has to be given to a player with the quality and potential game winning characteristic of fifita for fair priced contract, especially considering the impending salary cap increase. Fifita will win you more games than he will lose you if surrounded by quality and professionals.

Kurt Falls has been mentioned a couple of times but I remember The Pom saying Pheonix Crossland was the target as the back-up #7

By the sounds of it the Batemen signing is a long way off.
Wigan confirmed no formal approach yet and Bateman said he will wait until till after the WC.
Shame as was starting to get a little excited :rolleyes:
Maybe the Klemmer deal can be done

Latest posts

Back