Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Even if Brooks stays for no more than 550k I would just throw it all at Nof anyway.
I think you are dreaming a bit and would be very lucky to get Brooks for 550k plus the 180-200k long service/veterans allowance.

Half backs don't come cheap and then it leaves you with full freight on Nofo's contract because you have used up the veterans allowance.

Unfortunately due to the forces of supply and demand you are not going to pick up any sort of NRL ready half for less than 750-800k especially when there is very little available on the market at the moment.

here is an idea.... let's not sign Brooks and run with wakeham and flannagan for next year.... lol
Simply have to sign Brooks out of the Unsigned Players on that list good grief
Problem is getting a 6 or 7 to partner him.
Our backs are to the wall here, and painted into a corner.
We HAVE to re-sign him or else we will waste the good years of our recent acquisitions. It seems foolish to try and lowball him unless there is a miraculous halfback signing going unnoticed.

Sounds like coach and recruit manager not on same page.

it is understood the club was still attempting to navigate recent changes that resulted in Scott Fulton being appointed head of recruitment by the board.

The decision to make an offer to Brooks shapes as a victory for Sheens and Marshall, who are believed to have championed his retention

Sounds like tough & right conversations are being held to me. 2yrs isn’t a massive win for Sheens and Benji. Takes him into Benji 1st year only. Brooks will be 30 at the end of it with still another few years easily left.

Doesnt sound like him....love to see this quote
“It’s a big decision for me, and I’ve got to have a think about what’s best for me".

“I think a lot of the time I haven’t put myself first with these decisions. When the time comes I’m going to sit down and maybe be a bit selfish and do what’s best for me”.

“I’m getting towards the back end of my career, so I’ve got to make a decision where I’m going to play my best footy, and a club that looks like they’re going to be in contention."

“I haven’t played finals footy, and that’s what I want to do, you want to win premierships.”

- Luke Brooks, July 2022

“It’s a big decision for me, and I’ve got to have a think about what’s best for me".

“I think a lot of the time I haven’t put myself first with these decisions. When the time comes I’m going to sit down and maybe be a bit selfish and do what’s best for me”.

“I’m getting towards the back end of my career, so I’ve got to make a decision where I’m going to play my best footy, and a club that looks like they’re going to be in contention."

“I haven’t played finals footy, and that’s what I want to do, you want to win premierships.”

- Luke Brooks, July 2022
on the back of madgeball... seems to be enjoying his football under Sheens and marshall

- Luke Brooks, July 2022
This was at a time when he was playing terrible football had zero confidence hated Madge and the fans were giving it to him

A lot has changed since then

Sounds like tough & right conversations are being held to me. 2yrs isn’t a massive win for Sheens and Benji. Takes him into Benji 1st year only. Brooks will be 30 at the end of it with still another few years easily left.
Haven't had an external Signing in a long time

on the back of madgeball... seems to be enjoying his football under Sheens and marshall
There was a time when he was playing well under Maguire when Matterson Farah and Benji were in the side and the focus was not all on him. He is much better player when he has support on the field in the form of leadership.

There was a time when he was playing well under Maguire when Matterson Farah and Benji were in the side and the focus was not all on him. He is much better player when he has support on the field in the form of leadership.

They haven’t made many players in a hundred years that can carry a team on their own…. They have made a couple… but not many!!

how does the salary cap work ?

Are they able to front load Brooks contract e.g. give him some of the unused cap for 2023 to contribute to paying less for 2024 ?

So if we have a spare 150k from joffa deal as an example can we give that to Brooks so his 2024 deal is say 650k (less 150k) so 500k for 2024 under the cap ?

Can we do the same with nofa as we did with joffa?
Nope.

The only chance for Nofa is to punt him to England.

No NRL team is taking Nofa off our hands unless we paid 300k... which IMHO I don't see a point.

Nofa watch out if you see the trainers ankle tap you a lot at training....

I think you are dreaming a bit and would be very lucky to get Brooks for 550k plus the 180-200k long service/veterans allowance.

Half backs don't come cheap and then it leaves you with full freight on Nofo's contract because you have used up the veterans allowance.

Unfortunately due to the forces of supply and demand you are not going to pick up any sort of NRL ready half for less than 750-800k especially when there is very little available on the market at the moment.
Reports today say we have offered 500-600k for Luke Brooks. I guess I am a lot closer to the mark than you are buddy.

Reactions: 851

Latest posts

Back