Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

@tiger5150 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504667) said:
@ccwt said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504657) said:
@kh1988 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504588) said:
@hammertime said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504581) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504580) said:
@aceshigh said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504573) said:
Wot a load of [censored] , players told him not to come play under Maguire , that’s a load of crap

Source?

I think you need to ask the source of the original statement from @KH1988.

Finally found it again - don't shoot the messenger only sharing what was reported!!! (a bit scared how this copy and paste will turn out)

*Word later got back to the club that he had been advised by Blues teammates in camp to avoid playing under Maguire. He later signed with the Bulldogs.*

*Seven players in last year’s Blues squad - Luke Keary, Cody Walker, Cameron Murray, Nathan Brown, Angus Crichton, Cameron McInnes and Damien Cook - had previously been coached by Maguire at South Sydney.*

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/trust-or-bust-revelations-that-leave-tigers-on-collision-course-with-maguire-20210831-p58no0.html

Not saying this article is true, but if it is I can’t understand these players. If I had a hard nose coach that worked us too the bone and we came out with a premiership, I’d be forever great full, not bagging him.

In the documentary, one thing I noticed is at the end of THAT game against Souffs, how many of the Souffs players, including the mascot, when shaking hands with the Tigers players all said "Say G'day to Madge for me". If you cant stand the bloke that isnt an immediate thought.

The only bloke who was keen to say hi was the mascot he was Madge’s biggest fan.

@chicken_faced_killa said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504669) said:
Wot a load of [censored] , players told him not to come play under Maguire , that’s a load of crap

Source?

Finally found it again - don't shoot the messenger only sharing what was reported!!! (a bit scared how this copy and paste will turn out)

*Word later got back to the club that he had been advised by Blues teammates in camp to avoid playing under Maguire. He later signed with the Bulldogs.*

*Seven players in last year’s Blues squad - Luke Keary, Cody Walker, Cameron Murray, Nathan Brown, Angus Crichton, Cameron McInnes and Damien Cook - had previously been coached by Maguire at South Sydney.*

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/trust-or-bust-revelations-that-leave-tigers-on-collision-course-with-maguire-20210831-p58no0.html

Not saying this article is true, but if it is I can’t understand these players. If I had a hard nose coach that worked us too the bone and we came out with a premiership, I’d be forever great full, not bagging him.

In the documentary, one thing I noticed is at the end of THAT game against Souffs, how many of the Souffs players, including the mascot, when shaking hands with the Tigers players all said "Say G'day to Madge for me". If you cant stand the bloke that isnt an immediate thought.

The only bloke who was keen to say hi was the mascot he was Madge’s biggest fan.

I personally know a player from that 2014 squad who still rates Madge.

@chicken_faced_killa said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504669) said:

Source?

Reynolds said it to Doueihi as well, thought there might have been more

Source?

Don't you think it's a good reflection on made that he coach 7 SOS players, mostly from an early age, to state of origin level.

Cook was a reserve grade hooker at bulldogs, cody was 25 playing reserves. While Kerry, Murray, Chrichton, McInnes all learnt their trade under Madge.

@tigerballs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504673) said:

Source?

I personally know a player from that 2014 squad who still rates Madge.

That would make much more sense to me. Usually when you win a premiership together you think pretty fondly of your coach. Head scratching to think that's what these guys are saying about Madge when he helped get them there?! Saying dont go play for Madge because is irony when those guys mentioned in the article couldn't even win a premiership even with the master coach?! Another fake news article imo

@tigerballs said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504638) said:
@hsvjones said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504615) said:
We are clearly going down the youth direction at the club and it will start paying off in a few years time I have no doubt..
We are all sitting here just wanting the club to buy just **1** Top line player to help the young ones and help keep our hopes alive.. One day :pray:

Now I find it funny that teams like Roosters and Souths have fans that are complaining they lost a player and need a top player to replace them to remain in the top 4 teams.. Then you look at there teams and all I can think about it how good would it be having a team like this or even half of them...

Some of the 2022 Roosters players:
Collins
A Crichton
Luke Keary
J Manu
V Radley
J Suaalli
Sio Taukeiaho
D Topou
James Tedesco
S Tupaniua
JWH
S Walker
C Watson

Let that sink in..... The rest of the players must be on food scraps and rice (Unless other payments are made :face_with_rolling_eyes: )

Now I know we need to address our backyard but when a club like this can keep these players for less money how does the NRL expect lower teams to pick them up as they wont leave. I don't blame the players as I am sure they are getting WELL looked after in some way or form and they get to play finals every year. For me the NRL Salary cap does not work and needs addressing but they won't change it.

I can see us in 3-4 years time in a very good position as long as we can keep the good ones we have and not let them go to the likes of Roosters , South, etc..
I feel we need to Lock up Stefo, Laurie, Blore ASAP before we get into a fighting match with other clubs that increase there prices. If we can snag Hodgson and or Papailli that would be massive for us..

This post is not to bag the club its more about how hard it is to rebuild the correct way like we are and not pay massive overs like some clubs.. It's very hard but with the right people closing the deals now it might help..

And Roosters keep Manu despite $1mil plus offers from elsewhere. He'll take 500k less because he's a good bloke that loves the club. Please....

I heard he is staying at the roosters for 850k a year I’m sure uncle nick will fill in the rest

have we got Papilli'i yet,do we need him,2years out with c-vid,sent the whole game back,or was that just a ruse 2 put Luciano in her place

@merlot said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504755) said:
have we got Papilli'i yet,do we need him,2years out with c-vid,sent the whole game back,or was that just a ruse 2 put Luciano in her place

We definitely need another decent second rower.

Well according to @THE_POM we are looking at another backrower so hopefully we sign one soon hopefully Papal”II

@frullens said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504683) said:

Source?

Don't you think it's a good reflection on made that he coach 7 SOS players, mostly from an early age, to state of origin level.

Cook was a reserve grade hooker at bulldogs, cody was 25 playing reserves. While Kerry, Murray, Chrichton, McInnes all learnt their trade under Madge.

Its an outstanding achievement to develop so many into SOO quality tbh..something youd normally ascribe to a Bellamy or Bennett,and a timely reminder of why we hired Madge in the first place
But hes had 3 yrs to do same at WTs and with very few exceptions,most players performances have actually gone backwards..and many others have simply bailed out elsewhere(some still paid for by WTs).
And as we saw against Dogs,others just simply wont perform for him.
So what went so horribly wrong?Doubt his coaching style has changed dramatically over the years,as subject to critique as it is and should be ie personally I dont see how it cld be successful in this century..but it clearly was only 7 yrs ago
Other than finding it much more difficult(because of his reputation) to attract talent now to surround our younger players , I honestly cant put my finger on why Madge was so successful elsewhere developing players and mostly failing here

@clontarfkid said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504805) said:
@frullens said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504683) said:

Source?

Its an outstanding achievement to develop so many into SOO quality tbh..something youd normally ascribe to a Bellamy or Bennett,and a timely reminder of why we hired Madge in the first place
But hes had 3 yrs to do same at WTs and with very few exceptions,most players performances have actually gone backwards..and many others have simply bailed out elsewhere(some still paid for by WTs).
And as we saw against Dogs,others just simply wont perform for him.
So what went so horribly wrong?Doubt his coaching style has changed dramatically over the years,as subject to critique as it is and should be ie personally I dont see how it cld be successful in this century..but it clearly was only 7 yrs ago
Other than finding it much more difficult(because of his reputation) to attract talent now to surround our younger players , I honestly cant put my finger on why Madge was so successful elsewhere developing players and mostly failing here

When has any coach at this club developed numerous rep players and been able to retain them?Even in 2005 how many of those players were considered elite level - more like City/ Country reps. It's not in this clubs DNA atm, and until we develop a group of them, and provide some hope of success who ever the coach is will be secondary to reaching success.

@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504595) said:
@pablox said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504544) said:
@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504343) said:
@pablox said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504332) said:
@camel2281 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504309) said:
@the_patriot said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504073) said:
@snake said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504058) said:
@the_patriot said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504055) said:
@wt2k said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504024) said:
@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504020) said:
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/sport/26-seq-junior-stars-going-the-other-way-to-sydney-nrl-clubs-like-the-roosters-bulldogs-and-wests-tigers/news-story/f70fd2363af84ed341dcd74879d1f9e1%3famp

Looks like we have recruited well from QLD with the focus on pathways

The Wests Tigers have six of the best – Queensland schoolboys merit prop Herman Tofaeono (Keebra Park SHS), 2021 joint Justin Hodges medallist Chris Faatugu (Marsden SHS), outstanding Wavell No. 13 Junior Taungatua (Wavell SHS), middle forward Mou Taumaletila (Marsden SHS) and utility Kienan Tempest (Marsden SHS) who is a David Stagg clone.

Throw in brilliant Kirwan SHS outside back talent Dudley Dotoi from Far North Queensland and you have a bag full of good kids headed to the Wests Tigers.

And yet the majority of the forum are still carrying on like Jason Taylor is running things.

People need to wake up to the fact that this club is indeed doing good things and stop blaming them for the past mistakes.

Maybe the club should communicate a lot better with there stake holders … if this younger talent is on the books TELL us ,explain what’s happening and the direction the club is taking . COMMUNICATION costs nothing it’s easy but the most fundamental resource that organisation do not use effectively.

Still feel it wouldn't matter. Most people are still hung up on Josh Addo Carr etc

I actually met Addo Carr on Cup Day. Lovely fella. Asked him why he didn't come back to the Tigers and he said we didn't want him

At the price he was asking...

Can only take a man at his word

For sure. I just recollect a heads of agreement or was that latrell?

There was a HOA but only if the Storm agreed to a release for 2021. WT wouldn't agree to a player swap to secure the release so the Heads of Agreement was null and void

Doesn't that suggest we wanted him?

@patwalker said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504809) said:
Ew a Greyhound. Good luck to him!

Downvote!!!!! LOL

Singleton were my most hated opposition.

@roar_power said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504641) said:
We are clearly going down the youth direction at the club and it will start paying off in a few years time I have no doubt..
We are all sitting here just wanting the club to buy just **1** Top line player to help the young ones and help keep our hopes alive.. One day :pray:

Now I find it funny that teams like Roosters and Souths have fans that are complaining they lost a player and need a top player to replace them to remain in the top 4 teams.. Then you look at there teams and all I can think about it how good would it be having a team like this or even half of them...

Collins
A Crichton
Luke Keary
J Manu
V Radley
J Suaalli
Sio Taukeiaho
D Topou
James Tedesco
S Tupaniua
JWH
S Walker
C Watson

Let that sink in..... The rest of the players must be on food scraps and rice (Unless other payments are made :face_with_rolling_eyes: )

Now I know we need to address our backyard but when a club like this can keep these players for less money how does the NRL expect lower teams to pick them up as they wont leave. I don't blame the players as I am sure they are getting WELL looked after in some way or form and they get to play finals every year. For me the NRL Salary cap does not work and needs addressing but they won't change it.

I can see us in 3-4 years time in a very good position as long as we can keep the good ones we have and not let them go to the likes of Roosters , South, etc..
I feel we need to Lock up Stefo, Laurie, Blore ASAP before we get into a fighting match with other clubs that increase there prices. If we can snag Hodgson and or Papailli that would be massive for us..

This post is not to bag the club its more about how hard it is to rebuild the correct way like we are and not pay massive overs like some clubs.. It's very hard but with the right people closing the deals now it might help..

And Roosters keep Manu despite $1mil plus offers from elsewhere. He'll take 500k less because he's a good bloke that loves the club. Please....

Whatever happened to the NRL valuing players and ensuring their club contracts reflect this? Serious questions need to be asked - Roosters top 30 v Tigers top 30 is at opposite ends of the galaxy under the same salary cap. They obviously turn a blind eye to this which is really stupid in my opinion - how much more engaging would the NRL be to watch if all sides were fairly equal on paper. No 60-0 drubbings, a healthy spread of talent, engaging more fans up the eastern seaboard and Australia wide. Just doesn't make sense.

Getting more like the EPL every year. Same old teams to contest the finals. NRL turn a blind eye and same old journos keep trotting out the same old line that 'players take less money to play for good clubs'. The more things change the more they stay the same.

@kiwitiger said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504611) said:
@russell said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504592) said:
If we are not signing JAC (and we are not) - why aren't most of the posts on the previous X amount of pages in the "LAMENT THREAD"?

Talk about off topic.

In fairness about 10 pages ago their was a conversation about 5/8ths of the 80s and 90s. If this thread was about signings for the wests Tigers it would be very quiet.

I'm not saying don't talk about this or that - just that they should have their own thread. Then people that want to read about the topic thread are not waylaid into reading about something that does not interest them. Simples.

@lupo said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504822) said:
@roar_power said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504641) said:

Collins
A Crichton
Luke Keary
J Manu
V Radley
J Suaalli
Sio Taukeiaho
D Topou
James Tedesco
S Tupaniua
JWH
S Walker
C Watson

Whatever happened to the NRL valuing players and ensuring their club contracts reflect this? Serious questions need to be asked - Roosters top 30 v Tigers top 30 is at opposite ends of the galaxy under the same salary cap. They obviously turn a blind eye to this which is really stupid in my opinion - how much more engaging would the NRL be to watch if all sides were fairly equal on paper. No 60-0 drubbings, a healthy spread of talent, engaging more fans up the eastern seaboard and Australia wide. Just doesn't make sense.

Getting more like the EPL every year. Same old teams to contest the finals. NRL turn a blind eye and same old journos keep trotting out the same old line that 'players take less money to play for good clubs'. The more things change the more they stay the same.

And that is why the junior pathways is the only way to claw yourself up the table. Although you are faced with the real chance your kids will be lured away if and when they make the grade.

Of course you have the other thing, where we sign multiple juniors from far and wide hoping to find one or two diamonds, and a club like the Chooks buy the two very best kids who are almost certain to succeed.

Something urgently needs to be done, but it will never happen as the NRL power brokers are controlled by a group of people who are only interested in their club

I can only wish the roosters are enticing players with money, but I think the uncomfortable truth is that players are going there to be successful and sacrificing the money. If this generation values winning over money, our hill gets even steeper to climb, Ryan Matterson was on $180K at the chooks . When his upgrade request got leaked, whilst a WT. Many started to entertain the notion of the roosters actually being under the cap.

So it is been reported that the Titans will throw a million dollars at smith , this is on top of Fifita who is on 1.2 million then there is tino who is said to be on $750,000 . So that’s $3,000,000 of there cap so they have to get 27 players into around $6,000,000 that works out at about $222, 000 per player , now they have a couple more rep players who would be on double that amount , yet it never gets questioned by the media how the hell can u get all under the cap , I guarantee if it was the tigers doing it , we would be on the front page .

@bptiger-0 said in [Signing Suggestions & Rumours](/post/1504844) said:
So it is been reported that the Titans will throw a million dollars at smith , this is on top of Fifita who is on 1.2 million then there is tino who is said to be on $750,000 . So that’s $3,000,000 of there cap so they have to get 27 players into around $6,000,000 that works out at about $222, 000 per player , now they have a couple more rep players who would be on double that amount , yet it never gets questioned by the media how the hell can u get all under the cap , I guarantee if it was the tigers doing it , we would be on the front page .

No we wouldn’t

Latest posts

Back