Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

But has he overcome it? There's a reason Souths sacked him. Is he now totally professional off the field?

Yes you need someone who's ridden the highs and lows of the game, and understands the culture. There's still reports of him being wayward and doing things he shouldn't be. Can we get Widders, Prince or someone of that ilk?
Are you saying there are other issues/reports besides the recent pokies "drama"? Can you please enlarge because I must have missed them.

What are you talking about ?
Yea troubled upbringing kid who hates the world , is going to listen to a guy who wouldn’t know the first thing about overcoming your demons.

He’s literally the guy you want to reach them . Someone they can see has been through it . And has come out the other side .
Plenty of mentors like this in youth work. They'll always be fighting those demons but it's the fact they know how to fight - and win - thoae battles.

I really do hope he’s come through it…
Certainly didn’t play like he has last year.
What has on field form have to do with overcoming child abuse , and keeping the black dog in the backyard ?
Seriously you’ve no idea ! Just stop commenting because you clearly lack any empathy or knowledge of what not just an aboriginal kid might go through , but many many many lower socio economic realities .
It’s about more than footy and wins . It’s about an environment for these clearly talented kids , to transcend their beyond diabolical upbringings .
But hey as long as we make the 8 right ?

What has on field form have to do with overcoming child abuse , and keeping the black dog in the backyard ?
Seriously you’ve no idea ! Just stop commenting because you clearly lack any empathy or knowledge of what not just an aboriginal kid might go through , but many many many lower socio economic realities .
It’s about more than footy and wins . It’s about an environment for these clearly talented kids , to transcend their beyond diabolical upbringings .
I’m not talking about his issues - I’m talking about the methods in which he’s been known to deal with them…
And they, affect on field form…

I Know plenty about everything you’ve listed above - for all you know, I could have come up the same.

Happy to be sympathetic, but Jimmy wasn’t bought to the club as a social worker - he’s here to win matches…
And yes - get us in the 8

Bugger that stick them on a construction site and see if they’ll work hard. I support a footy club not a daycare centre.

I’m not talking about his issues - I’m talking about the methods in which he’s been known to deal with them…
And they, affect on field form…

I Know plenty about everything you’ve listed above - for all you know, I could have come up the same.

Happy to be sympathetic, but Jimmy wasn’t bought to the club as a social worker - he’s here to win matches…
And yes - get us in the 8
The way I see it, he was brought into the tigers family which is way bigger than just footy. He’s arguably our 1st picked centre if he wasn’t injured and he’s on just above minimum wage. You could do worse by let’s say signing the “best” centre in the world.

Big rumour swap with cowboys this year Luciano Leilua for Drinkwater before June 30
Laurie to Dolphins 2023 then if that happens I guess
That swap makes no sense for either team.

We only need a fullback for the next month, and Cowboys need a fullback more than another second rower.

Iam not sold on Laurie, his support play is poor , he does nothing around the ruck , yes his last two games were better but us still only average , would love to have drinkwater at the back .
The best fullbacks have a lot of different skills that they need to learn. Laurie is already a much better ballplayer than Tedesco was at the Tigers but Tedesco had him beaten in most other areas.

Drinkwater is probably better right now, but has been known to make a lot of mistakes and has always been hot and cold.

I would stick with Laurie, I think he will keep adding new skills and be one of the top 4 fullbacks in a few years.

His kick chase tackle on Gutherson was also my favourite NRL moment this year, it was awesome. I am sure many of us were out of our seats and cheering at the TV.

The best fullbacks have a lot of different skills that they need to learn. Laurie is already a much better ballplayer than Tedesco was at the Tigers but Tedesco had him beaten in most other areas.

Drinkwater is probably better right now, but has been known to make a lot of mistakes and has always been hot and cold.

I would stick with Laurie, I think he will keep adding new skills and be one of the top 4 fullbacks in a few years.

His kick chase tackle on Gutherson was also my favourite NRL moment this year, it was awesome. I am sure many of us were out of our seats and cheering at the TV.
Kade Dykes was a 5/8 before switching to fullback.

Doubt it’s true but cowboys have tabui at fullback, drinkwater is from nsw being born in Penrith and growing up on central coast, his brother had 2 stints with us so must have liked the place. Laurie is injured and maybe it’s worse then we think. The doubt for me is we don’t have any depth at second row now with injuries so can’t see us letting luch go early

Big rumour swap with cowboys this year Luciano Leilua for Drinkwater before June 30
Laurie to Dolphins 2023 then if that happens I guess
Did that come from a guy commentating on faceBook.. I think it was in Clarkes post if thats where you seen it.
I hope its true but unlikely IMO

Could someone post the story...
View attachment 985
They’re the schoolboys who broke a Western Suburbs hoodoo stretching 20 years.
That, and now shape as the future of Wests Tigers.
While largely anonymous to most NRL fans, the Magpies 2022 Harold Matthews premiers are quietly shaping as Generation Next for the joint-venture club.
Apart from being the first Wests team to ever win the Harold Matthews title, they are also the club’s first junior premiers since 2002 – when an SG Ball mob including Ryan Hoffman, Liam Fulton and Bryce Gibbs went all the way.
So what chance a future Wests Tigers star among this crop, too?
Already, Tigers officials are looking to secure the futures of several team members, 90 per cent of whom hail from the local area.
Some of the names Tigers fans are being urged to keep an eye on include captain Kit Laulilii, hooker Tallyn Da Silva, halfback Heath Mason and prop Jordan Miller.

Magpies Harold Matthews winners (L to R) Will Craig, Jeremiah Leatigaga, Tallyn Da Silva, Heath Mason and Lachlan Galvin pictured. Picture: Sam Ruttyn
Asked about the team, Western Suburbs pathways manager Shannon Gallant agreed the aim was to ensure these teenage premiers progressed just like their predecessors 20 years ago.
Both Gibbs and Fulton went on to become members of the 2005 Wests Tigers premiership team, while Hoffman also enjoyed his own grand final successes with Melbourne Storm.
“Our goal is to make sure these boys commit to Wests Tigers, just as we’ll commit to them,” Gallant said.
“We need to make sure we continue their development – and over the right time frame – to put them in the best position possible to one day play NRL.”
Gallant added the same successes were also happening on the Balmain side of the merger, with the Tigers finishing the SG Ball season in third.
Elsewhere, the club has also invested heavily in its women’s pathways, with the club gunning to field an NRLW side as soon as next year.
Asked for a hit list of seven players to watch, Gallant nominated the following …

* Kit Laulilii
Position: Lock
Club: Liverpool Catholic Club
“Our captain and our lock for the past three years. Outstanding leader and very consistent too, an eight out of 10 every week. There have also been times this year where the team was in some trouble and, at halftime, his speeches to the boys were incredible … you could see them all really buy in. As a staff that’s great to see.”

* Tallyn Da Silva
Position: Hooker
Club: East Campbelltown Eagles
“Really good running game from dummy half and passes strong both ways, which is rare for a player this age. Has also really grown defensively this year too. In the grand final, Tallyn was responsible for some great defensive efforts. We’re excited to see what he does moving forward.”

* Heath Mason
Position: Half
Club: Thirlmere Roosters
“A born footy player. He’s a bright student at St Gregory’s college and is a real student of rugby league also. Has that ability to set up teammates and continually take the right option. Importantly, never goes missing either. At the 78th minute, he’ll be the guy who stands up for you. That can’t be coached.”

* Jordan Miller
Position: Front row
“Best front rower in the competition. Got Man of the Match on grand final day and is a real success story, given he didn’t make Harold Matthews two years ago. His ability to lead the side and make those around him better has been outstanding. Has a great carry, too — attracts defenders, carries them and offloads.”

* Lachlan Galvin
Position: Back Row/Half
Club: Eaglevale St Andrews
“A No. 6, and local junior, who went to Parramatta but came back home this year and found himself on an edge as one of our backrowers. His ball playing ability is terrific. Doesn’t stick to a structure either and created a heap of opportunities. At SG Ball I think he will move back to five-eighth, but where he eventually ends up will depend on what changes his body makes over the next couple of years.”

Wests centre Will Craig. Picture: Warren Gannon
* Will Craig
Position: Centre/Fullback
Club: East Campbelltown Eagles
“Played centre for us this year and, defensively, was outstanding. Also has a terrific attitude. Despite having played fullback most of his life, he really took up the challenge at centre and became a vital part of our success this year.”

* Jeremiah Leatigaga
Position: Second Row
“The character of our group and a really strong defender. Pulled off some cracking tackles this year. He’s also that leader in the group who is always there to pick up the other boys. Played Andrew Johns Cup last year, made Country and has come on in leaps and bounds.”

Back