Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Agree 100%
we need aggressive forwards but when you mention names like Lodge, TPJ, Hetherington, Vaughn etc.. people bring up there past, don't want to pay them anything, saying they get suspended etc.. etc. But other clubs pick them up because they need people to do the hard yards while we sit back waiting for a SOO quality player with perfect record, plays 80mins, doesn't want to get paid and does it for the love of the game.. Not going to happen.
E.g. As much as TPJ plays on the edge and gets suspended he brings a massive amount to the game and opponents need like 4 players to bring him down or he offloads and creates another play.. We don't have anyone like that..
That's all well and good, but I read somewhere that TPJ doesn't support transgender butterflies.
We, as a brand, cannot be aligned with such barbaric and homophobic thinking.
I mean, the poor butterflies can't help being misunderstood and confused.

If you swap Liam Martin and Luke Garner, Garner is probably playing origin instead of Martin.

Neither are world beaters, but Martin has had the luxury of playing with the likes of Cleary and Luai while Garner has spent his entire career in first grade tethered to Brooks. Arguably the best situation in the league vs. worst situation. Boggles the mind that Martin wasn't dropped for origin 2 (or even picked in the first place) but just serves as evidence that a player's abilities, or perhaps even just the perception of their abilities, are so greatly influenced by where they play and who they play with.

He's also been coached extremely poorly. He's a centre/second-rower hybrid who runs good lines and had the pace to get on the outside of his defender and help create overlaps. He looked quite good as a line runner for when playing outside Benji, then ineffective with Brooks. Though you probably couldn't find a bigger disparity between one of the best ball-playing halves the game has ever seen in Benj and Brooks, who's a miserable ball player (probably being generous).

Rather than attributing Garner's lack of effectiveness to who he's playing with, Madge decided that Garner's problem was he was too small. So what happens? You ruin a player's strength, turn him into something he's not and surprise surprise, he struggles. Article below for reference:

Garner's come back this season looking like he was pre-2020 and no surprise he played pretty well when filling in at centre and has looked the best he has for a couple seasons.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a good run at Penrith at all. By no means is he a great or complete player, but he's good some useful attributes and a coach and system that will get the best out of him. Plus they've managed to sign him at a time where his value is at it's absolute lowest. Meanwhile some team like us/Newcastle/St George will sign Liam Martin for 2-3x what Garner is on, and be stuck with a marginal improvement but a huge hit to the cap.
Good post! Good read.
Had to have a laugh, Garner saying after being told to eat dirty , put on some weight. He had eaten chocolate, pizzas and hamburgers over the weekend which increased his weight by 1.5kilo. It takes about 9 days for any weight gain or loss to materialise I would have thought?

I've always liked Luke Garner. I doubt he'll ever be a SOO player by any means, but to me he puts in and does his job to the best of his ability.
He's not a great player, but then I don't think he's ever cost much either.
I'm not gutted he is leaving and not upset they let him go.
I think he is just an easy player to like if you get me?
I wish him all the best.

I've always liked Luke Garner. I doubt he'll ever be a SOO player by any means, but to me he puts in and does his job to the best of his ability.
I wish him all the best.
Clubs need players like Garner to fill the gaps and be salary cap compliant. With Garner in the side there was no need to carry a back on the bench. God help us, Maguire,s bench and now Noddy,s leave a lot to be desired. In the past, with the amount of time some benches got, we were basically playing with 16 against 17.

Clubs need players like Garner to fill the gaps and be salary cap compliant. With Garner in the side there was no need to carry a back on the bench. God help us, Maguire,s bench and now Noddy,s leave a lot to be desired. In the past, with the amount of time some benches got, we were basically playing with 16 against 17.
I think you’re right, Garner has been a good squad member IMO.
I’m hoping a player like Nu Brown can step up and be a good utility.

Can't blame him....

I know he's a big fan of AD and believes in what they can do together.

Club would probably stuff it up somehow.
Heard a few things yesterday, mainly Jacko and AD wanting out. Filthy on Madge getting the punt and don't like Noddy. Ciraldo is the only prospect to have been shown around the COE so I guess they've got no other options lined up yet.
I got to the COE just as the team was finishing on the field. There's no team harmony whatsoever. Kelma was sitting by himself taking his boots off in one corner of the pitch when Stefano walked over to him and gave him a gobful. AD, Jacko and 3 or 4 others having a bit of a laugh together but mostly little groups of 3 or 4 just not really enjoying themselves. Bad vibe all round.

If you swap Liam Martin and Luke Garner, Garner is probably playing origin instead of Martin.

Neither are world beaters, but Martin has had the luxury of playing with the likes of Cleary and Luai while Garner has spent his entire career in first grade tethered to Brooks. Arguably the best situation in the league vs. worst situation. Boggles the mind that Martin wasn't dropped for origin 2 (or even picked in the first place) but just serves as evidence that a player's abilities, or perhaps even just the perception of their abilities, are so greatly influenced by where they play and who they play with.

He's also been coached extremely poorly. He's a centre/second-rower hybrid who runs good lines and had the pace to get on the outside of his defender and help create overlaps. He looked quite good as a line runner for when playing outside Benji, then ineffective with Brooks. Though you probably couldn't find a bigger disparity between one of the best ball-playing halves the game has ever seen in Benj and Brooks, who's a miserable ball player (probably being generous).

Rather than attributing Garner's lack of effectiveness to who he's playing with, Madge decided that Garner's problem was he was too small. So what happens? You ruin a player's strength, turn him into something he's not and surprise surprise, he struggles. Article below for reference:

Garner's come back this season looking like he was pre-2020 and no surprise he played pretty well when filling in at centre and has looked the best he has for a couple seasons.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a good run at Penrith at all. By no means is he a great or complete player, but he's good some useful attributes and a coach and system that will get the best out of him. Plus they've managed to sign him at a time where his value is at it's absolute lowest. Meanwhile some team like us/Newcastle/St George will sign Liam Martin for 2-3x what Garner is on, and be stuck with a marginal improvement but a huge hit to the cap.
Something tells me you haven’t actually watched Liam Martin or Garner that closely. Particularly in big games. One is a weapon, the others a snowflake.

Neither are world beaters, but Martin has had the luxury of playing with the likes of Cleary and Luai while Garner has spent his entire career in first grade tethered to Brooks

Hilarious. I reckon Brooks has as good a short passing game as Cleary and Luai. Martin is a lot lot better than Garner.

I wish him all the best.
We have had a soft underbelly literally the whole time he has been a second rower here. Next to prop, the position where you need mongrel, power and intimidation the most. Next to Robert Jennings letting him go has made me the happiest that any WT decision has made me in a while.

We need forwards who can bend the defensive line out of shape and run good lines off Api.
If we dont then our kickers will be under pressure and we won't accomplish anything from the team we started with this year.
We need yardage forwards and someone who can offload off the back of a couple of good runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard a few things yesterday, mainly Jacko and AD wanting out. Filthy on Madge getting the punt and don't like Noddy. Ciraldo is the only prospect to have been shown around the COE so I guess they've got no other options lined up yet.
I got to the COE just as the team was finishing on the field. There's no team harmony whatsoever. Kelma was sitting by himself taking his boots off in one corner of the pitch when Stefano walked over to him and gave him a gobful. AD, Jacko and 3 or 4 others having a bit of a laugh together but mostly little groups of 3 or 4 just not really enjoying themselves. Bad vibe all round.
Did you expect a good vibe when we need a complete clean out?

Heard a few weeks ago that Kelma has fallen out with a lot of the boys.

This makes sense.

Wonder what Stef said to him 😂

Heard a few weeks ago that Kelma has fallen out with a lot of the boys.

This makes sense.

Wonder what Stef said to him 😂
Nice work dropping just about every pass on the weekend, the one where you dived into your own teammates arse then bounced it was my favourite.

Something like that.

Latest posts

Back