Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Don’t be shocked if Wakeman goes ok this game , if our forwards can match the raiders which I think we can this could give wakeman and Simpkins a bit of time and space , I think he will go ok , just a feeling I got , I would not right any player off just yet as poor , give them a few games
Also, Wakeham just joined two or three weeks ago plus he and the team didn't have much time in NZ before the Warriors trial. Wasn't surprised him and Reilly were not clicking.

Was he playing a different sport before joining?

Understand what you mean, but I still don't see him being anything more than 3rd string.
Yeah that’s what he is but. He’s a backup half back we signed him for cover if we get injuries. People are expecting cooper Cronk out of him but in reality he’s a halfback on a minimum contract

Yeah that’s what he is but. He’s a backup half back we signed him for cover if we get injuries. People are expecting cooper Cronk out of him but in reality he’s a halfback on a minimum contract
I think people are concerned that we've gone backwards in the halves after a wooden spoon season.

Last year we had Hastings who outperformed Brooks at 7, and Madden who was a much better back up option than Wakeham.

Forwards have been strengthened which is great, but if we don't land Moses for 2024 we are in deep trouble with our halves.

He had a cracker of a game in a game where no one looked good. Never a fan of seyfarth, but when he's on his day he is the best forward out there
I think he ran for over 100 metres and was very unlucky not to score a try under the posts. Someone has been onto him about the timing of his runs and where to run.

Great post Sleeve. What we're witnessing is the foundation of the new team over the next 2 years. This was explained previously by the club. The club has done well for recruitment this year and I would imagine it will continue next season. There is only so much that can be achieved especially when required to move a significant portion of the roster on.
Thanks Paws, some don't realise that Canterbury bought big last year, and had little improvement, They had a far better side then ours. They are continuing to upgrade, as are we. We bought 5 players and probably needed 10. We can't discard players with contracts , that takes time. Then some say discard Brooks, AD and others, but who is on the market who is better, that will come? You can't buy a whole class team in one year. As you rightly pointed out ,- over the next 2 yrs = 2025 to get a top 8 team.

Thanks Paws, some don't realise that Canterbury bought big last year, and had little improvement, They had a far better side then ours. They are continuing to upgrade, as are we. We bought 5 players and probably needed 10. We can't discard players with contracts , that takes time. Then some say discard Brooks, AD and others, but who is on the market who is better, that will come? You can't buy a whole class team in one year. As you rightly pointed out ,- over the next 2 yrs = 2025 to get a top 8 team.

I agree with you to a point. The problem is people are talking up Sheens, Benji etc as being great coaches and we've signed so well and Madge was the problem.

The reality is we have one of the worst spines in the comp. Our fullback played one cracker last season but hasn't been great. Brooks is maligned because he is an average player. Doueihi is a forger at this point in his career. He looks great in a couple of games for part of those games but overall he is ordinary. We've actually improved the team this season as well.

I agree with you to a point. The problem is people are talking up Sheens, Benji etc as being great coaches and we've signed so well and Madge was the problem.

The reality is we have one of the worst spines in the comp. Our fullback played one cracker last season but hasn't been great. Brooks is maligned because he is an average player. Doueihi is a forger at this point in his career. He looks great in a couple of games for part of those games but overall he is ordinary. We've actually improved the team this season as well.
Out of the 17 teams, I'm interested to know where you would place us, spine-wise.

A 4 time premiership winning coach deserves some recognition. As for Marshall and Farah, we know they are learning but if the way they played the game is any indication of the way they coach, we are ahead. Furner is also a very experienced and good coach.

The club recognises it needs to improve the halves and has gone all out for Moses. Publicly there has been no decision announced or made. There may or may not be other initiatives that have not been made public.

It also announced the next two years will involve building a new foundation upon which to base its new team. This is a holistic approach imo which encompasses the COE, pathways, strong engagement with our junior areas (great improvement in the Macarthur/Campbelltown regions) involving the identification and retention of our best juniors. Matthew Betsey, Shannon Gallant etc all working very hard in Pathways.

As for Brooks, the discerning supporter would know Brooks is far from average. It is pretty clear the way we played the game over the last few years did not suit his skills. We also know Cleary got the best from him. Doueihi has it all before him and I would like to see him improve his defence, passing and have a great year for the team and for him.

Out of the 17 teams, I'm interested to know where you would place us, spine-wise.
Amongst the bottom few probably.

Here they all are:

Brisbane
1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
9. Walters

Canberra
1. Savage
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
9. Levi

Canterbury
1. Perham
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
9. Mahoney

Cronulla
1. Kennedy
6. Moylan
7. Hynes
9. Brailey

Gold Coast
1. Brimson
6. Foran
7. Boyd
9. Verrills

Manly
1. Trbojevic
6. Schuster
7. Cherry-Evans
9. Croker

Melbourne
1. Papenhuyzen
6. Munster
7. Hughes
9. Grant

Newcastle
1. Miller
6. Ponga
7. Hastings
9. Brailey

New Zealand
1. Nicoll-Klokstad
6. Martin
7. Johnson
9. Egan

North Queensland
1. Drinkwater
6. Dearden
7. Townsend
9. Robson

Parramatta
1. Gutherson
6. Brown
7. Moses
9. Hodgson

Penrith
1. Edwards
6. Luai
7. Cleary
9. Kenny

Redcliffe
1. Tabuai-Fidow
6. Milford
7. O'Sullivan
9. Marshall-King

South Sydney
1. Mitchell
6. Walker
7. Ilias
9. Cook

St. George Illawarra
1. Sloan
6. Bird
7. Hunt
9. Liddle

Sydney
1. Tedesco
6. Keary
7. Walker
9. Smith

Wests
1. Laurie
6. Doueihi
7. Brooks
9. Koroisau

A 4 time premiership winning coach deserves some recognition.

He does but you need to put it into perspective. He has had plenty of dud years as well.

As for Brooks, the discerning supporter would know Brooks is far from average. It is pretty clear the way we played the game over the last few years did not suit his skills. We also know Cleary got the best from him. Doueihi has it all before him and I would like to see him improve his defence, passing and have a great year for the team and for him.

They both might come good but Brooks is definitely an average NRL player. If he was great we would have done a lot better. Blaming the coach for his performances to me is weak sauce. He is a professional footy player and excuses like this do him a disservice.

Doueihi might improve. He has a lot of upside but this is a similar argument for Brooks where performances somehow don't matter.

I think we as Tigers supporters need to dwell in reality. Potential and excuses about previous team structures/coaches in my opinion are completely irrelevant now. These guys need to perform.

Amongst the bottom few probably.

Here they all are:

Brisbane
1. Walsh
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
9. Walters

Canberra
1. Savage
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
9. Levi

Canterbury
1. Perham
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
9. Mahoney

Cronulla
1. Kennedy
6. Moylan
7. Hynes
9. Brailey

Gold Coast
1. Brimson
6. Foran
7. Boyd
9. Verrills

Manly
1. Trbojevic
6. Schuster
7. Cherry-Evans
9. Croker

Melbourne
1. Papenhuyzen
6. Munster
7. Hughes
9. Grant

Newcastle
1. Miller
6. Ponga
7. Hastings
9. Brailey

New Zealand
1. Nicoll-Klokstad
6. Martin
7. Johnson
9. Egan

North Queensland
1. Drinkwater
6. Dearden
7. Townsend
9. Robson

Parramatta
1. Gutherson
6. Brown
7. Moses
9. Hodgson

Penrith
1. Edwards
6. Luai
7. Cleary
9. Kenny

Redcliffe
1. Tabuai-Fidow
6. Milford
7. O'Sullivan
9. Marshall-King

South Sydney
1. Mitchell
6. Walker
7. Ilias
9. Cook

St. George Illawarra
1. Sloan
6. Bird
7. Hunt
9. Liddle

Sydney
1. Tedesco
6. Keary
7. Walker
9. Smith

Wests
1. Laurie
6. Doueihi
7. Brooks
9. Koroisau
Storm, eels, penriff look good

Reactions: 851
It's a team game and yes the spine is important. However some of those spines look good with the exception of the 9 - the key player in the team.
Having Api alone, running our new look forward pack from dummy half, hopefully will make up for some of the deficiencies that are in our current spine. Until then, we can only imagine...

1. Welsby
6. Brooks
7. Moses
9. Api

Latest posts

Staff online

Back