Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Morgan Boyle (Manly) not being offered a contract there. Kane Evans (returned from Super League). Both only good enough for NSW Cup contracts now. Tepai Moreoa (Storm) may be another not offered an NRL contract. There will be others with deeper research.
Boyle has been terrible for Workers this year, barely reserve grade standard. Might offer something as an older head but would be a terrible as a depth option. Evans probably not the personality you want around younger players, don't know what his footy has been like in England.
Moeroa however would be a great get. Still offers plenty and apparently very dedicated trainer and a great leader. His teammate, and former Tiger, Jordan Grant another. Though Storm still have serveral spots in their top 30 so don't be shocked to see either or both retained. Plus we would be competing with every reggies team for their signature.

There are a few handy forwards currently off contract in Jordan MacLean, Nathan Brown, Brodie Jones, Bayley Sironen and Bryce Cartwright but i expect they will all get an NRL contract somewhere.
Then a few experienced backrowers that are handy depth but really only reserve grade level players in Chris Smith, Jack Johns and Corey Waddell. But not sure we'd want anyone playing in front of the young backrowers in case a couple of them can kick on a bit.

Interesting jrtiger you mentioned Miller. Do you think he's a possible NSW Cup player for 24 ? It made me have a look at our forwards for 24. Working on the theory we need 8 FRF and 8 Backrowers for 1st and ressies combined (2 Frf & 2 bench)& (2x 2rf 1x lock 1x bench). Assuming Seyfarth to the dogs..Also, Tuki, Ofa, James, Ma'anamai gone..all Frf.. are we a bit light.. currently we have: Klemmer Twal Stef Pole( my opinion a Frf) and Sione Fainu that's 4 or 5 .. Our Backrow.. Paps, Bateman, Sam Fainu, Blore, Matamua, Laulili'i, Mansfield, Tumeth, Faaguta, Boyling.. Are we a couple of Props short for 24 or do they move a couple of Backrowers to fill the void ? I know we all agree we need outside backs but maybe a prop as well ?
it's probably best for Miller's development that he does a full season in Jersey Flegg and the odd game in Cup. I don't think he's ready to play against men yet. front rowers take time. I think he was simply given a top 30 deal because we didn't want to lose him to Redcliffe.

squad building is not an exact science. there's players that can easily play in the middle or on an edge, see Blore and Sammy Fainu, and there's the players that are more locks than middles, like Matamua and Laulili'i.

ultimately this is how I see it

Prop: Klemmer, Utoikamanu, Pole, Twal, Sione Fainu, Miller*, Fa'agutu (D)
Back Row: Papali'i, Bateman, Tumeth, Mansfield, Kepaoa
Lock: Matamua, Laulili'i (D)
Utility: Blore, Samuela Fainu

I think we're just about covered in terms of depth. while we're light on experience there isn't many more roster spots I would allocate to forwards, and guys like Fa'agutu and Laulili'i will bolster our depth after Round 10. fingers crossed we also bring in some decent middles and edge forwards on part time deals that will do a job if they get called upon.

Morgan Boyle (Manly) not being offered a contract there. Kane Evans (returned from Super League). Both only good enough for NSW Cup contracts now. Tepai Moreoa (Storm) may be another not offered an NRL contract. There will be others with deeper research.
great call on Moeroa. really experienced decent middle forward, but I'm not entirely sure what his situation is. you'd think Melbourne will keep him. unfortunately the way our roster is currently I don't think we'll be able to fit him into the top 30, and that's probably what would be needed to prise him off them.

it's probably best for Miller's development that he does a full season in Jersey Flegg and the odd game in Cup. I don't think he's ready to play against men yet. front rowers take time. I think he was simply given a top 30 deal because we didn't want to lose him to Redcliffe.

squad building is not an exact science. there's players that can easily play in the middle or on an edge, see Blore and Sammy Fainu, and there's the players that are more locks than middles, like Matamua and Laulili'i.

ultimately this is how I see it

Prop: Klemmer, Utoikamanu, Pole, Twal, Sione Fainu, Miller*, Fa'agutu (D)
Back Row: Papali'i, Bateman, Tumeth, Mansfield, Kepaoa
Lock: Matamua, Laulili'i (D)
Utility: Blore, Samuela Fainu

I think we're just about covered in terms of depth. while we're light on experience there isn't many more roster spots I would allocate to forwards, and guys like Fa'agutu and Laulili'i will bolster our depth after Round 10. fingers crossed we also bring in some decent middles and edge forwards on part time deals that will do a job if they get called upon.
If that is our Roster for 2024 I will do a RIP VAN WINKLE and sleep through 2024. It is a real sad few years for Wests Tigers supporters 😢

If that is our Roster for 2024 I will do a RIP VAN WINKLE and sleep through 2024. It is a real sad few years for Wests Tigers supporters 😢
our forward pack is elite. Samuela Fainu for Seyfarth is an upgrade. Blore, Stef, Pole another year older, Bateman and Papali'i get full preseasons with the squad. Laulili'i proved he will be a regular by midway thru next season, Mansfield and Tumeth have upside. halves have been fixed, the outside backs come next. next year SHOULD be a better year, and I say should because this year was incredibly frustrating.

This off-season is going to be a very long one by the looks of things.
Dogs marching on and signing anything that moves , while our recruitment people
wait at the gates to see if anybody walks past and wants to sign.

This off-season is going to be a very long one by the looks of things.
Dogs marching on and signing anything that moves , while our recruitment people
wait at the gates to see if anybody walks past and wants to sign.
so you'd rather a scattergun recruitment approach and we sign a stack of utilities as opposed to having an actual plan? our needs are in the outside backs, and there aren't too many at the minute off contract that suit our needs. when the season is done, Fulton and Marshall will have the chats they need to to try and drag someone across under contract. we're a long way away from preseason kicking off, patience is key.

Personally I hope that in their quest for centres they are patient and get better than average quality.

Hopefully they keep Staines.

And develop Reilly. His defensive reads in 3 games are the best we've had for a while especially at that age. Remember Lawrence being a very poor defender early so Reilly has potential.

And develop Reilly. His defensive reads in 3 games are the best we've had for a while especially at that age. Remember Lawrence being a very poor defender early so Reilly has potential.
I think a few on here gave us a bum steer on Reilly.
He is worth the effort over this off season to develop.
I don’t know what is happening in KOE Cup, but the same things were said of Bula before he debuted.

our forward pack is elite.
Not based on 2023 results.
Samuela Fainu for Seyfarth is an upgrade.
Potentially, certainly not on present form.
Blore, Stef, Pole another year older, Bateman and Papali'i get full preseasons with the squad. Laulili'i proved he will be a regular by midway thru next season, Mansfield and Tumeth have upside.
All positives. Hopefully they trend in the right direction.
halves have been fixed,
That is debatable. Hopefully they form a cohesive unit.
the outside backs come next.
Yes hopefully something s in the works.
next year SHOULD be a better year, and I say should because this year was incredibly frustrating.
What do we consider a better year?
If we come 11th with 8 wins will people be happy? Technically that’s better but the same result remains - no finals.

I think a few on here gave us a bum steer on Reilly.
He is worth the effort over this off season to develop.
I don’t know what is happening in KOE Cup, but the same things were said of Bula before he debuted.

I think he will be even better on the left.

I'm ok with Reilly/Tupou on left side
Toa/Staines on the right

Naden back up and Feledy developing.

our forward pack is elite. Samuela Fainu for Seyfarth is an upgrade. Blore, Stef, Pole another year older, Bateman and Papali'i get full preseasons with the squad. Laulili'i proved he will be a regular by midway thru next season, Mansfield and Tumeth have upside. halves have been fixed, the outside backs come next. next year SHOULD be a better year, and I say should because this year was incredibly frustrating.
I disagree about our forward pack we need two mongrel forwards blokes who can do the dirty work , we don’t have any in our current squad , and if u think we do ur blind , sorry but it the truth

No I don't think it is harsh on Twal. He is purely a NSW Cup standard player who constantly gets a run in 1st Grade as we are back to back Wooden Spooners. If Tigers are to climb the ladder it cannot be with players like Twal.
A guy who doesn’t miss tackles and makes 10 meters a run? He is closer to nsw blues quality then nsw cup

Not based on 2023 results.
Stevie Wonder could see that the pack did their job and the lack of footballing IQ in the halves killed our season before it began.
Potentially, certainly not on present form.
wait and see.
All positives. Hopefully they trend in the right direction.
glad we agree on something.
That is debatable. Hopefully they form a cohesive unit.
time will tell.
Yes hopefully something s in the works.
I too hope so.
If we come 11th with 8 wins will people be happy? Technically that’s better but the same result remains - no finals.
ask me once the squad is finalised. hopefully there's more squad movement to come.

Back