Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

No. Well actually not really would be more accurate.

There is evidence that overpaying Staines is bad business. Simply the phrase overpaying suggests it is bad business. Otherwise the statement would just be "signing Staines is bad business", which I have not claimed.

Then there is actually evidence of why it would be bad business. He didn't make any difference to our team, or even play particularly well last year. He has failed to standout as an NRL winger in his career to date.
Additionally, as a winger he is unlikely to change the fortunes of our team, compared to say if we did pay overs for Luai or when Knights paid overs for Ponga. There is 25 years of NRL and 100+ years of rugby league to support this.

The argument for what I'm saying being speculative would be
is this evidence firm? Obviously I believe so. It doesn't mean that he can't improve his performance moving forward but the odds are against him.
And, what is overs. I've somewhat addressed this already. Just because Peters believes it's overs doesn't mean it is, or that others would agree. I haven't actually assigned a value but have said that I've taken it in its simplest form. That is to mean that it is a value that would be widely be accepted as above his market value.

Edit: as my previous posts. The claim of these 3 clubs wanted to sign Staines had no evidence, firm or otherwise. Thus it was speculation.

I disagree… but I’m not going to argue any further ,,,it would just be recycling whaI I have already said which i believe is clear …

Reactions: 851
Olam, Luai & Fonua-Blake have been linked to us on media street. There is 3.
My God, if those three came we would be a real chance for the Top 8. Might have a sneaky look at Sportsbet odds before anything is announced. Then again we might get 0-3. Aah - worth a punt.

Go back and read my comments again….
The only conclusion i can draw is that you think I'm trying to confirm Peters' mail of we've signed Staines on overs. I'm not. I'm reacting to it and repeatedly acknowledged doubt around it.

Also apologies to all for somewhat derailing the thread. My WiFi is currently down and wife is away for work so this and old DVDs is all I've got for entertainment today.

Last edited:
The only conclusion i can draw is that you think I'm trying to confirm Peters' mail of we've signed Staines on overs. I'm not. I'm reacting to it and repeatedly acknowledged doubt around it.

If you don’t think your comments that I initially quoted do not fit the definition I provided of speculation …. Then I dont believe we are going to reach a consensus…

If you don’t think your comments that I initially quoted do not fit the definition I provided of speculation …. Then I dont believe we are going to reach a consensus…
If you don't tell me how it is speculative then we won't reach a consensus.

Nonetheless, i think I've cracked it.

My initial comment ended with "especially as it appears there is no competition for his signature".
I maintain that it does "appear" that way because there is no reports of any other clubs showing any interest.

However as you said not every approach is reported upon.

So, it would nearly be as speculative to say other clubs aren't interested as it is to say that they are.

If you don't tell me how it is speculative then we won't reach a consensus.

Nonetheless, i think I've cracked it.

My initial comment ended with "especially as it appears there is no competition for his signature".
I maintain that it does "appear" that way because there is no reports of any other clubs showing any interest.

However as you said not every approach is reported upon.

So, it would nearly be as speculative to say other clubs aren't interested as it is to say that they are.

The answer to your first line has been provided already in my replies….

I was thinking about 250-300K. Average winger money with a little extra on top because he offers fullback coverage.
If someone said the a pot boiled at 100 degrees I swear you would give the Fahrenheit number , as if somehow different .

If someone said the a pot boiled at 100 degrees I swear you would give the Fahrenheit number , as if somehow different .
I like Adelaide Tiger so this isnt a dig at him when i say this. But he gave a random value with no explanation to how he got to that number. Granted he doesnt owe one, but it would be nice as a discussion point or to further understand his opionion.
I thought it seemed a little high. Not exorbitant but a little high.
So I provided my alternative with a very brief justification.
You are more than welcome to disagree. I would to like to know why but. I do at times enjoy arguing when I disagree on a topic. And it's not even to be an ass, it is typically so i simply can better understand others opinions.
But no I wouldn't argue about the boiling point of water. Or if I were to I wouldn't say Fahrenheit I'd ask what pressure the water is at because I'd like all the information.

Or if you are suggesting there is little difference between my figure and ATs that is fine. He can take it as a sign that I approximately agree with his number and no need to discuss further.

Yeah I can’t agree with the bolded part of your post. How is he a far better player? Defensively not much has really changed. Nofo did nothing for Melbourne and I’m pretty sure they weren’t really impressed with him either.
I was watching Nofa. Look he is getting slower ofcourse and no longer has his speed or step.
But his defense has improved as well as his positioning. Tupou was our weakest link in the backline this season, but hey it's his first season.

Melbourne did Nofa good.

Look I would love it if Melbourne would agree to that. Hey we can loan Latu out there too and Borrow Jerome Hugues for awhile....

AINT HAPPENING.

Also us sniping a Junior center or wing off Melbourne instead of Olam is rather Doubtful.
All the talk is about Olam & Blore
but thanks for confirming it Ain’t Happening.

Staff online

Back