Group A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, France
Group B: Argentina, Nigeria, Korea Republic, Greece
Group C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia
Group D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana,
Group E: Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon
Group F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia
Group G: Brazil, Korea DPR, Côte d'Ivoire, Portugal
Group H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile

Which group do you believe will be the group of death in 2010?
How far do you see Socceroos going in the World Cup in 2010?

Group of death for me is Group G with Brazil and Portugal as the big guns.

To be honest I cant really see us going though, it may depend on other results though.

Group G has some cracking match ups, easily the group of death.

I can't see Australia getting through. Germany will probably knock us off, Ghana is the easiest game of the lots (I use that word loosely, it's still a very tough game), and Serbia are also tough opposition. The game against Serbia will be a good one I think, 2 of the more physical sides in the world.

@Marshall_magic said:
Group G has some cracking match ups, easily the group of death.

I can't see Australia getting through. Germany will probably knock us off, Ghana is the easiest game of the lots (I use that word loosely, it's still a very tough game), and Serbia are also tough opposition. The game against Serbia will be a good one I think, 2 of the more physical sides in the world.

group g may be the toughest group ever at the world cup good luck to our good friends in north korea coudnt happen to a nicer guy than north korea president, talk about karma.I do remember last world cup that our group was also dubbed the group of death,wrongly I will add.This time will be A little bit tougher but Im still confident we can do it.We do have more of a chance against Germany than we did against Brazil last world cup.Croatia and serbia very similiar ,maybe Serbia a touch tougher. whilst our new Japan is Ghana who in africa will pose a threat but it is a game we are capable of winning.A draw against the germans in the first game would be massive then knowing germany need to beat the other two teams to ensure qualification.Two things we must counter is serbias height and ghanas speed and flamboyance.If we do england here we come. :righton: :righton:

I have heard from so called experts saying our group is the 2nd toughest. In our group we have teams ranked 6th (Germany), 20th (Serbia), 24th (Australia) and 36th (Ghana) or something very similar to that. If the World Cup has 32 sides you are going to have to play some top sides at some point and gettng those numbers seems favourable to me.

Germany can win the thing and play well at big tournaments. Getting them 1st I think Pim will be aiming for a draw. Ghana we have a draw and win in the 2 previous encounters though conditions will suit them being in South Africa. We need to beat them. Serbia we will more than likely need to beat depending on goal difference and other matches. They have improved a fair bit in recent years.

I don't see how this group is so much more difficult than 2006\. Japan and Ghana we have pretty good records against and should win. Germany and Brazil are top sides where will be under-dogs. Croatia and Serbia are sides you have to beat if your a serious football side.

The good news is if we come 2nd in the group we play England in the 2nd round match-up. A dream for us fans and probably the Aussie side. I don't know whether the English have that rivalry with the Socceroos like they do in the cricket.

I think it's a fair bit tougher than the 2006 group (which was fairly overhyped, Brazil were always going to qualify, Japan are a solid side, but nothing more, and Croatia were tough). Whilst Brazil are better than Germany, Brazil have a style of play that the Aussies are more likely to score against. Germany are very good in the air (in defence) which is how we score a lot of goals. I'd rate Serbia a little higher than Croatia, although only marginally. But the difference between Ghana and Japan is huge.

I was very surprised to see how there is no one group that is stacked, they are all quite equal in strength, though if I had to pick one then probably ours unfortunately.
I think we have a decent shot at the Round of 16 but having no chance at a 1st place finish will mean playing a top of group team which equals death.

This is a great draw… the Aussies play the best when they have been written off and they are a team that shouldn't be under estimated as they are a very fit squad and play a physical game.

Germany are getting old and we might be able to frustrate them into making errors.
Ghana will imo be our toughest match as they won't be a side to under-estimate the socceroos.
Serbia have some good younger players coming through the ranks and will be a great side in years to come. But we can knock these guys off...

All-in-all it's the World Cup and anything can happen!

The best thing about this draw... when we finish second (germany will top the group i think) we'll play England and get into the final 8 after smashing em!!!!!

------

[Start Winge]

The draw is floored! They need to get rid of the way the pots are currently setup. I think they should form the pots like this…

Pot 1 – Top 7 seeded sides + Host Nation (These seeded sides are based of the October FIFA world rankings) form the 8 groups.
Pot 2 – Second teir of 8 seeded sides based from FIFA world rankings with consideration to final placings within the qualifying regions then go into each group, one-by-one.
Pot 3 – Remaining 16 sides drawn are placed amoungst the 8 groups.

Being honest I dont think we can win a game. We might snag a draw but that might be it. I cant see anyway through to the next round.

@magpie mania said:
good luck to our good friends in north korea coudnt happen to a nicer guy than north korea president, talk about karma.

But he is so ronery

We can beat serbia and ghana. We almost beat the italians last worldcup who went on to become world champions and they could only beat us by diving and cheating!

this group is no harder than last time ( brazil, japan & croatia ) but it still tough. a draw with germany beat ghana then we probably play the poms in round of 16\. hopefully other countries will underestimate the socceroos again. its just a shame we probably have another crack at the azzuri divers!!!!

@pacey said:
hope we play england and beat them
Ill laugh for a week

Yeh there would be nothing better then knocking England out of the World Cup,
Ive worked out that if most favourites get up and we happen to beat England then we will come up against Germany in the following round.
Although we certainly did not get an easy group drawn we definately got the easy half of the draw with Germany, France, Argentina and England as apposed to Spain, Brazil, Italy, Netherlands and Chile.

I personally think that we will be good enough to draw with Germany in the opening round and pull a win against either Serbia or Ghana.

@benjibrotown said:
@pacey said:
hope we play england and beat them
Ill laugh for a week

Yeh there would be nothing better then knocking England out of the World Cup,
Ive worked out that if most favourites get up and we happen to beat England then we will come up against Germany in the following round.
Although we certainly did not get an easy group drawn we definately got the easy half of the draw with Germany, France, Argentina and England as apposed to Spain, Brazil, Italy, Netherlands and Chile.

I personally think that we will be good enough to draw with Germany in the opening round and pull a win against either Serbia or Ghana.

If we get through the groups we won't see Germany again unless we make the final.

If we run second and knock out England we will play either Winner A (France/Uruguay/Mexico/South Africa) or Runner Up B (Argentina/South Korea/Greece/Nigeria). After that it's probably Brazil/Portugal/Netherlands.

Personally I would love to send England tumbling out of the competition.

Us knocking England out for me would be even better then us winning the Ashes in cricket and almost equal with us beating St George in the prelim.

To knock them out of their number 1 sport would be absolute GOLD !!!!!! :laughing:

I think we can do it for sure. if we can snatch a draw against germany i think we will progress with 1 win. Bring on England that would be sensational.

The group of death is Brazil's group by far.I think we have the second toughest group
When i watched the draw i thought we're in trouble but i can see similarities to the 06 group
A plus is we are playing ze Germans first,if we can get a draw or win that will give us great confidence going into the last two.
our bigest problem is scoring,if we have to rely on Cahill we are in big trouble.McDonald has got to bring his Celtic form to the national squad

NZs draw could have been alot worse.
Noone is expecting anything from us which is the way we like it.
Nabbing a point would be a morale victory but if we play to our potential, finishing 3rd in our group is a possibility :wink:
**GO YOU ALL WHITES!**

Reactions: BZN
@tigerdre said:
McDonald has got to bring his Celtic form to the national squad

I would score goals in the Scottish League HAHA

We need to field Kewel and Cahill up front…Cahill as a point man and Kewel as a loose / wondering forward. A player like Kewel needs to see the ball as much as possible, his movement of the ball is great and it will give the Aussie Midfielders somewhere to go. He's wasted on the left wing...

Members online

Back