Something to shake up Origin: a Polynesian team, perhaps?

TigersFan4Life

This is just something I was thinking about right now. What would everyone think of adding a Poylynesian team to make Origin a tri-series? Like what Super League did in '95\. It seems a shame that players such as Benji, Asotasi, Isaac Luke, etc. don't get a chance to take part in something as big as SOO. Sure they have the test matches, but it just doesn't compare to Origin. It could be as simple as a round robin and then a final, with the two best teams after the RR (based on head-to-head and then for-and-against) meeting in the final.

Just to add, each team would host one game in the RR with the 1st placed team hosting the final.

Eg. Game 1 NSW @ Qld, Game 2 Poly. @ NSW, Game 3 Qld @ Poly.

This would also reduce the amount of games that players are unavailable to play for their club sides. There would also be NO dead rubbers.

I dont think that a tri series really works unless you play each other twice + finals. You need more than the one chance at beating each side.

maybe the rules can be bent a bit to allow them to play in the current format?
However if this is done it will take away from what Origin really is. The ringins wouldn't be playing for pride - merely a rep jumper and paycheck.Pretty similar to the Aboriginal v allstars game at the beginning of the year. Only one side really cared and it showed.

Na don't like it.Lets keep some tradition in our game
But one thing that iv'e mused over is why don't the NRL come up with a state of origin for KIWIS
Like a North v South island type thing that would be played on the friday night & NO NRL games played on these SOO weeks.
After the first couple of NZ SOO's i would probably loose interest but i rekon the many kiwi fans we have here & across the pond would lap it up

@TigersFan4Life said:
This is just something I was thinking about right now. What would everyone think of adding a Poylynesian team to make Origin a tri-series? Like what Super League did in '95\. It seems a shame that players such as Benji, Asotasi, Isaac Luke, etc. don't get a chance to take part in something as big as SOO. Sure they have the test matches, but it just doesn't compare to Origin. It could be as simple as a round robin and then a final, with the two best teams after the RR (based on head-to-head and then for-and-against) meeting in the final.

That is a super idea. Andrew Johns as the inaugral coach.

@Tiger Watto said:
No thanks.

Origin is between Queensland & New South Wales…

Actually, that is not correct. Currently it is NSW v Queensland/Minto Cobras/Bowraville

considering the "origin" part of state of origin has gone out the window in the past few years i dont see why not it should be called "state of what ever suits the qld selectors best"

@ron burgandy said:
considering the "origin" part of state of origin has gone out the window in the past few years i dont see why not it should be called "state of what ever suits the qld selectors best"

That's true. Maybe we could try and put together a composite Qld team based on all their dodgy selections. Here's a few to start…

2 Isreal Falou (NSW - Minto Cobras)
3 Inglis (NSW - Bowraville)
4 Willie Tonga (NSW - Cootamundra) - Thanks Ron!
7 Adrian Lam (New Guinea)
11 Brad Thorn (New Zealand)
13 Tony Carroll (New Zealand)

I would love to see a "Barbarians Side" made up of anyone but Aussies… to be eligible you can't jump from being an Aussie to Fijian (Hayne for example would only be eligible for Aus selection since he plays for NSW, or vica-versa). Hopefully this might also stop the QLD stealing players from all areas lol.

It would be great to see players like Marshall, Ellis, Moi Moi and so on in an origin series.

willy tonga lived in nsw up until he was 15 born in canberra i think. played his first footy in cootamundra… played 1 year of junior footy in qld and then got picked up by parra on the advice of beetson.

dont tell me its "origin"

Qld Fake of Origin side update…

@Team Tiger said:

:laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

No one likes a sore loser fellas…..

@stryker said:
:laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

No one likes a sore loser fellas…..

I'm not sore, Stryker… I'm ACHING!!!! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

@Team Tiger said:
@ron burgandy said:

That's true. Maybe we could try and put together a composite Qld team based on all their dodgy selections. Here's a few to start…

k hunt ?????

1 Karmichael Hunt (NZ)
4 Willie Tonga (NSW - Cootamundra)

Something a couple of years ago J Thurston's Dad was a Kiwi. Anyone who can confirm?

@Tiger Watto said:
Don't worry Stryker, this is the problem with NSW's.

Instead of working on ways to beat Qld, they sit around whinging about Qld…

thats true…but....3 of your back 5 are NSW players no matter how you try to spin it

Back