Something you never knew

happy_tiger

Currently watching the Kokoda movie ...decided to read up on some info about Kokoda

I have always heard claims we were heavily outnumbered ...turns out that was garbage ...we actually outnumbered the Japanese about 2.25:1 .....

Anyone else got a curious fact most probably wouldn't know ....???

Nectarines are just peaches that don't express the fuzzy skin gene. Same species.

There are actually lots about fruit. All cavendish bananas are genetic clones. Navel oranges cannot reproduce unaided (no seeds) and are, like the cavendish, all clones of a mutation from Brazil. Almonds technically are not nuts and are closely related to apricots and plums. The Granny Smith apple originated in Australia and is a chance cultivar from local breeding; Granny Smith was a real person.

There's no such species as a "panther". Panthera is the genus that contains tigers, lions, jaguars etc. A "black panther" is actually a melanistic jaguar or leopard.

The tusk of a narwhal is actually an elongated tooth that grows through the narwhal's lip.

The "smell" of rain is called petrichor and was first coined by Australian scientists.

You can't buy "pear cider". Cider can only be made from apples. The fermented pear drink is called "perry".

Madeira cake is not Portuguese - it's British, and the name comes from the use of Madeira wine.

@jirskyr said in [Something you never knew](/post/1474796) said:
Nectarines are just peaches that don't express the fuzzy skin gene. Same species.

There are actually lots about fruit. All cavendish bananas are genetic clones. Navel oranges cannot reproduce unaided (no seeds) and are, like the cavendish, all clones of a mutation from Brazil. Almonds technically are not nuts and are closely related to apricots and plums. The Granny Smith apple originated in Australia and is a chance cultivar from local breeding; Granny Smith was a real person.

There's no such species as a "panther". Panthera is the genus that contains tigers, lions, jaguars etc. A "black panther" is actually a melanistic jaguar or leopard.

Champion @jirskyr - I need you in our pub trivia team. hehehe

@tiger_one said in [Something you never knew](/post/1474797) said:

Mate they never ask those "interesting fact" questions - you can't really generate questions out of them. Trivia nights are usually more about very specific or slightly obscure general knowledge.

Speaking of which, the Ambush is holding a virtual trivia night on Grand Final Eve, come along and see if you can outsmart @jirskyr

@cochise said in [Something you never knew](/post/1474815) said:

Speaking of which, the Ambush is holding a virtual trivia night on Grand Final Eve, come along and see if you can outsmart @jirskyr

Depends on the questions and how much time you get to think. I got my arse handed to me at a work trivia the other week.

@jirskyr said in [Something you never knew](/post/1474818) said:

Depends on the questions and how much time you get to think. I got my arse handed to me at a work trivia the other week.

Trivia is all about luck of the questions, if they hit your wheelhouse you do well. Have a large enough wheelhouse and you will do consistently well.

Eels (and not those slimey Parra type, but does include the speckled long-fin Parramatta River type).
Every eel in our streams, rivers and dams were spawned somewhere in the Coral Sea, a one-way journey of thousands of kilometres for the adult eels.
Eels in dams aren't stocked there, they actually snake their way across the ground to ponds and dams at times of high rainfall. They can live in such places for a decade or more before deciding to exit the same way, and make their journey back to the Coral Sea.

Reactions: BZN
@happy_tiger said in [Something you never knew](/post/1474721) said:
Currently watching the Kokoda movie ...decided to read up on some info about Kokoda

I have always heard claims we were heavily outnumbered ...turns out that was garbage ...we actually outnumbered the Japanese about 2.25:1 .....

Anyone else got a curious fact most probably wouldn't know ....???

While on WW2, soldiers in Japanese POW camps in Japan complained they were fed tree roots. It was more than likely it was burdock, a long tuber, that does indeed look like a tree root.
I grow it at home - tastes great.

Kayak is spelt the same back to front as it is front to back…..that’s my liimkt

@gcfan said in [Something you never knew](/post/1474857) said:

In other words it's a palindrome. :)

@mikey said in [Something you never knew](/post/1474858) said:

Ahh yeah sure…. A palindrome.
You’re way smarter than me Mikey!

• Haha

The most famous palindrome of all time was Bolton (i am sure many will get the reference)
The second most famous is attributed to N.Bonapart though i doubt he said it,Able was i ere i saw Elba

My wife birthday in 2002 was:
20022002 and she was 44.

@cochise said in [Something you never knew](/post/1474821) said:
@jirskyr said in [Something you never knew](/post/1474818) said:

Trivia is all about luck of the questions, if they hit your wheelhouse you do well. Have a large enough wheelhouse and you will do consistently well.

What's an easy question?

One that you know the answer.

@bathursttiger1 said in [Something you never knew](/post/1474869) said:

My wife birthday in 2002 was:
20022002 and she was 44.

my son was born on the stroke of midnight 00:00 on 20/02/2000

My oldest daughter was the second baby born in Australia in 1997. 12.25am 1/1/97

Latest posts

Back