The 5th Tackle

bigsiro

I’ve got a rugby league game-play issue:

Being that the sixth tackle is a kick play (either a Hail Mary bomb or cross-field kick or a kick for territory) I don’t understand why teams don’t understand that the 5th is the last opportunity to throw the ball around as it is effectively the last chance to try something. Isn’t it just totally unacceptable to just take another one out play or simply go to ground? (unless you’re stuck deep in your own half).

Then why does this keep happening?
Does anyone else feel the same?!?
Isn’t it obvious???
Argh!

And I’ve been downvoted, without comment, for posting this honest, unoffensive rugby league question. 🤷🏻‍♂️

@bigsiro said in [The 5th Tackle](/post/1330793) said:

Being that the sixth tackle is a kick play (either a Hail Mary bomb or cross-field kick or a kick for territory) I don’t understand why teams don’t understand that the 5th is the last opportunity to throw the ball around as it is effectively the last chance to try something. Isn’t it just totally unacceptable to just take another one out play or simply go to ground? (unless you’re stuck deep in your own half).

Isn’t it obvious???
Argh!

Reason is that the kick often comes off and the play mostly breaks down with a hand over.
I don’t like the kick .... should be banned as far as I am concerned .... but I can se why it isn’t and won’t be.

@bigsiro said in [The 5th Tackle](/post/1330808) said:
And I’ve been downvoted, without comment, for posting this honest, unoffensive rugby league question. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Upvote from me to negate it lol

Isn’t it obvious???
Argh!

I swear this drives me absolutely crazy. Especially when we are in the opposition 20 and on 4th tackle it’s a forward hit up.

Isn’t it obvious???
Argh!

Good point

Maybe they should make tries scored on last tackle that aren't scored from a kick worth 5

Or if 2 or more kicks used 5 as well

It is very annoying I have to say.

Tommy would have thought it was gutless.

If you don't like what was said, speak up or just move on.

Isn’t it obvious???
Argh!

Personally I'd love to see Brooks develop some variety with his long kicking game/bombs. He's so focused on kicking the ball end over end it just provides no pressure for wingers/fullbacks. Doueihi has the right idea at least.

@tigerpower said in [The 5th Tackle](/post/1330836) said:

Isn’t it obvious???
Argh!

I swear this drives me absolutely crazy. Especially when we are in the opposition 20 and on 4th tackle it’s a forward hit up.

Exactly!!

@willow said in [The 5th Tackle](/post/1330925) said:

Isn’t it obvious???
Argh!

Personally I'd love to see Brooks develop some variety with his long kicking game/bombs. He's so focused on kicking the ball end over end it just provides no pressure for wingers/fullbacks. Doueihi has the right idea at least.

The one kick that Brooks put in a spot 1m out and gave our chasers enough time to get there resulted in a try. The other 9 kicks are a fullback and wingers dream.

@tigerpower said in [The 5th Tackle](/post/1330929) said:
@willow said in [The 5th Tackle](/post/1330925) said:

Isn’t it obvious???
Argh!

The one kick that Brooks put in a spot 1m out and gave our chasers enough time to get there resulted in a try. The other 9 kicks are a fullback and wingers dream.

Frustrating to watch isn't it? You'd like to think a bloke with as much as experience as Brooks could improve this aspect of his game...

At least now Doueihi is putting up his spiral bombs that are hard to catch and actually make it an attacking play

Isn’t it obvious???
Argh!

Because of what the hit up play does to the defensive line , as well as reorganise the attack . Most do the hit up to a certain goal post . If it’s done effectively it compresses the defence , which means that it opens up the outside backs to have a chance at coming down with the ball .

If you run a play and it dies at the edge corner , your basically boxing yourself in . Example of this was when brooks got caught on the edge and got it away to Laurie to make a half break at the end of the game.

You can’t get upset about game management and at the same time complain about not playing off the cuff .
It’s basically force em backs ,instead of kicks it 120kg blokes running into each other.

Isn’t it obvious???
Argh!

The game is a farce when you think about it, professionalism has sucked a lot of the footy out of teams and PVL has gone a bit too far this year with his crusade.

The only answer I can offer is teams are obsessed with playing scripted footy and if the half back isn't standing on the right blade of grass on the last he might kick out on the full. The team has to get him there.

We looked great for 15 minutes on the weekend when we offloaded at will. Noticed a few things that aggregated stats over 80 minutes would not reveal:
- our yardage per set improved (40-60m)
- Parra yardage per set decreased to what ours was at a similar point in the first half (30-40m)
- we didn't score from this frenzy, but we did score around 10 minutes later (twice in fact)

Our best hope is to focus on defence and second phase, as combinations improve we can be a handful.

Another way to put it is if we are going to copy a structure from a dominant side, let it be a defensive structure and in attack let the ball sing baby!

o ground? (unless you’re stuck deep in your own

Listening the SEN radio commentary of the WT game in Monday and noddy Kimorely spoke directly to our 2nd last play options. A couple of times we tried to play footy down the blindside and got boxed in. Noddy was saying the defence knows exactly where the kicker is and can get pressure. Instead we should be paying to the post for the kick.
I know sounds boring but it's about building pressure and game management. So we can throw the ball around in good field position or in broken play.

@hank37w said in [The 5th Tackle](/post/1330904) said:
And I’ve been downvoted, without comment, for posting this honest, unoffensive rugby league question. ??‍♂️

I downvoted it. I was annoyed at the flood of posts by the OP with little or no thought behind them. There is usually not much point arguing on this forum because the same loud voices just repeat the same opinions over and over no matter how often they are proved wrong. Thanks for telling me how to forum.

I would have thought it was obvious that people run the ball on the last as a surprise, the ball is passed to the wrong person (a mistake), or the attacking team does not want to risk kicking the ball dead.

the 5th tackle is usually used to get kickers in a good position for the kick. 3rd and 4th tackle should be used to spread the ball and break the line.

@blake said in [The 5th Tackle](/post/1330967) said:
@hank37w said in [The 5th Tackle](/post/1330904) said:
And I’ve been downvoted, without comment, for posting this honest, unoffensive rugby league question. ??‍♂️

I downvoted it. I was annoyed at the flood of posts by the OP with little or no thought behind them. There is usually not much point arguing on this forum because the same loud voices just repeat the same opinions over and over no matter how often they are proved wrong. Thanks for telling me how to forum.

I would have thought it was obvious that people run the ball on the last as a surprise, the ball is passed to the wrong person (a mistake), or the attacking team does not want to risk kicking the ball dead.

He’s talking about after the completion of the 4th so , the play the ball and play of the 5th .
I think if he’s asking that question , and people are agreeing with it , and those people are the ones saying we have no game management, then it begs the question , that maybe some people have little understanding of what that word means in the context of an nrl match ?
So it’s probably not worth getting irritated about .

@strongee said in [The 5th Tackle](/post/1330954) said:

Isn’t it obvious???
Argh!

Because of what the hit up play does to the defensive line , as well as reorganise the attack . Most do the hit up to a certain goal post . If it’s done effectively it compresses the defence , which means that it opens up the outside backs to have a chance at coming down with the ball .

If you run a play and it dies at the edge corner , your basically boxing yourself in . Example of this was when brooks got caught on the edge and got it away to Laurie to make a half break at the end of the game.

You can’t get upset about game management and at the same time complain about not playing off the cuff .
It’s basically force em backs ,instead of kicks it 120kg blokes running into each other.

Precisely, thank you.

Back